What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much paint?

J Twilbeck

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a breakdown of the surface area of the RV-10? My intention is to figure out how much paint I would need to buy. Of course this is dependent on my paint scheme, so if the surface area is broken down to wings/fuse/tail or something like that it would be very beneficial. Not looking for an exact answer just a good estimate for purchasing paint quantity.

Thanks!

5 gallons

I think I purchased 5 gallons. Probably have 1.25 left if I added the different colors together. 3 gal of white and 2 of blue, 1 pint of grey for pinstripe. I think 3 gal of primer but might have been 4. I did waste a lot in the beginning figuring it all out as it was my first painting

I think I purchased 5 gallons. Probably have 1.25 left if I added the different colors together. 3 gal of white and 2 of blue, 1 pint of grey for pinstripe. I think 3 gal of primer but might have been 4. I did waste a lot in the beginning figuring it all out as it was my first painting

I don't have my numbers handy, but they were close to Bill's. I had a few more pints since I had four colors.

Wait till you see the cost of the paint. I think I had about $3,500 just in materials.

Paint Quantity RV-10

I used:
4 Gallons of Primer (2 base, 1 hardener, 1 reducer)
3 Gallons Base White (almost 1 gallon left over)
3/4 Gallon Base Green ( lower portion and bottom of Fuse)
1 Qt Base Black (accent stripes)
2 Gallons Clear (plus reducer and hardener)

PPG Deltron 2000 $2550 in material
North Country Auto Parts NY- best prices I could find (check ebay)

Best,
Frank

IIRC I used about 5-6 gallons in various colors. A lot is going to have to do with paint quality, equipment, and of course the painters ability.

RV-10 paint, N995S

Here are the quantities of paint used on my -10. The paint is PPG base/clear coat system. Expensive.

The primer is a single coat of PPG black primer. Yes, black. It provides a proper background for the silver metallic paint. Two coats of silver basecoat is used under all of the paint to get complete coverage. The red required three or more coats when painted directly onto the black primer in testing. With the red costing about 50% more than silver, it was more economical to prime and then paint silver. The other colors, black metallic and gold metallic were both tri-coats and required two coats of the base color and tint. They went directly over the silver.

The fuselage, with its complex taping, would have been impossible to get from primer to clear coat in the 24 hours required by PPG. You can cheat on this some, but too much and you loose the chemical bond of the clear coat. You cannot scuff the base materials, especially metallic. As a result, I painted the fuselage all silver and then sprayed one coat of a "lockdown clear" over everything. You can scuff this and then tape at leisure. Then you have 24 hours after starting the second color until you need to clear. With some planning, it is possible to do three colors with a total of 10 different coats and masking in this time frame.

There was one major reshoot. I had to strip one half of the stab and completely redo it because of me.

Materials used and left over were:

3 gallons primer with almost one gallon left over, 1 coat
3 gallons and one quart DBC base coat Silver, 2 coats with about 1 pint left over. This mixes 1:1 with thinner
5 gallons DC4000 premium clear, 2 coats, about 3/4 gallons left over. This mixes 4:1 with activator which is why it uses more than the base coat material.
1 qt DBC 500 lockdown clear, none left over
1 gallon DBC base coat red, about 1 quart left over
1 qt DBC basecoat black, 1/2 pint left over
1 pt DBC gold, 1/2 pint left over

There was some waste with the clear coat because it has to be used within about an hour or so. Perhaps a quart. Couple of bad estimates when starting. The base coat has no limits and can be saved if over mixed. This can be hazardous because it might not match if you don't remix it right. I generally reused the silver by mixing it in a large job, like the wings. I would add back a pint in a half gallon mix.

IMG_4970.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Back