What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator tip assembly

Wyzepilot

I managed to rivet the assembly to the elevator without incident but I'm looking for some tips, words of encouragement/wisdom to talk me through getting those two missing rivets set. I did leave that corner of the bottom skin unriveted but it is a very tight fit for my large clumsy hand. Any advice would be appreciated.
2v1lz0y.jpg

Thanks,

Dave

On the bottom side E-1001B, you use blind rivets - so I assume you are talking about the top side E-1001A. Those are set with the bottom skin pealed back (awkward) as in the picture on page 9-14. I pealed it back as far as possible on the front spar with a minimum number of rivets already installed on that skin. An extra set of hands was helpful for those 5 seconds needed to set the 2 rivets.

Yes I apologize for not being clear. I am talking about the E-1001A top skin. I followed the manual and left out the the rivets on the bottom skin for that corner but i guess I'm just concerned about putting a crease in that skin when pealing it back enough to get my hand all the way in there to hold the bucking bar. I do have a very small tungsten bar that fits in small places that I was planning on using. I got this far without any dings or creases in the skin I guess i'm just being over cautious. I will enlist a buddy to help me for this one.

Thanks,

Dave

I do have a very small tungsten bar that fits in small places that I was planning on using. I got this far without any dings or creases in the skin I guess i'm just being over cautious.

Put a towel or something inside in case you fumble the bucking bar. Especially in a cold shop, my fingers can stop listening sometimes!

Back