What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eyeball vent tool?

BigD

Well Known Member
I have gone through several ideas for tightening the locking ring on the back of the eyeball vents in the overhead, none of which worked very well. This was the best, other than a fingernail. I also cut out some spacer washers out of silicone gasket material to take up space and have something cushy to tighten against. The only idea I haven't tried yet is to adhere a 1/2 inch long piece of PVC pipe to the ring, then add holes or grooves along the top to tighten...Any other ideas out there?

2vsezqr.jpg

==dave==

I just hold the ring and turn the vent and that usually gets it pretty tight.

I have gone through several ideas for tightening the locking ring on the back of the eyeball vents in the overhead, none of which worked very well. This was the best, other than a fingernail. I also cut out some spacer washers out of silicone gasket material to take up space and have something cushy to tighten against. The only idea I haven't tried yet is to adhere a 1/2 inch long piece of PVC pipe to the ring, then add holes or grooves along the top to tighten...Any other ideas out there?

2vsezqr.jpg

==dave==

Hmmmmm - - that is a real head scratcher !

Sorry, I could not help my self.

Dave.
I can't tell which vent you have but we drilled 4, 3/8 holes in side of threaded sleeve..then take a roll pin punch and reach in and tighten a 1/4 at at time. This also allows better airflow through side of vent sleeve. Hope this makes sense.

Since I still have not glassed the console in place, I am planning to build up the inside a bit (otherwise the rings, loose now on the plain console, won't be tight enough to suit me even with a headliner) and, at the same time, glass the rings in place. I don't anticipate needing a tool after that.

I used a small screwdriver and a hammer in the slot in the ring to get them as tight as possible. Then I drilled a 3/32 hole thru the threads from the inside and put in a roll pin. All done before installing the console.

The vents did not go in til after installing, glassing and painting the console...the real problem is a lack of room. I had tried a tool similar to DHMoose's (but not anywhere near as Gucci) but had trouble getting it in place, then turning it.

15n6a2d.jpg

Now I'm thinking try again but shorter. Thanks for all the other suggestions, I don't think they're going to fall out, just wondered what others had done.

==dave==

Back