What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

180 degree door latch

dspender

Well Known Member
If you are planning on installing the Plane Around 180 degree door latch, don't follow Van's plans that indicate how to cut the c-rack. If you do, it will not only delay your installation of the 180 degree latching mechanism, but it will also cost you another $180 ( $90 each to replace erroneously cut c-racks). Should have read the directions first.

I found the process of going back and forth between the two sets of plans to be especially conducive to error. Not that I didn't manage to make a few of my own anyway, like installing the roll pin on the door handle gear perfectly only to realize the gear was on backwards. I also ended up fabricating a new aft pushrod to get enough pin travel to make me happy. The doors are a notorious PITA, but unlike many other areas where unnecessary worry can be injected in the thought process after reading about other peoples' experiences, they deserve their reputation. Seems like every piece of the door system required multiple tries at assembly, disassembly and fiddling. The next -10 will be soooo much quicker....

==dave==

$180 mistake

I did cut the C-rack before reading the directions. Oh well!

After replacing it things went fine. I took my time. Used the parts and pieces provided. Did all of the fitting before bonding the door halves together.

I installed the flush outside door handle and the center cam on mine. It worked a little stiff initially but a little grease helped alot.

Vans racks

I built my RV10 from 2009 to 2011. while I was developing the 180 latch kit I posted on here not to cut the Vans' handle racks where they specified. It was posted here occasionally to remind new builders not to cut them. I can't make Vans change their handle directions. Hopefully it will be posted here enough to save most builders from cutting the racks from the start. It makes no sense to cut them per Vans instructions. Longer racks don't change anything except allows the handle to rotate further if you want it to, you can still use a 90 degrees application with the longer racks. On the bright side, I replace racks for my cost, which is about half of Vans price. Another item is most flush handles have a mechanical interference at around 100 degrees. This limits the 180 latch, however there are new products out there which allow 180 degrees which have nice handles.

Last edited:
I blame no one for my error but myself. I should have read the directions before I cut. Measure twice/cut once. Besides the replacement is only 0.1% of the cost of the entire project. My first redo thus far so I feel fortunate.

Glad I Did It

I heard too many stories of doors flying off, so I made my decision to go with the 180 degree system early and had no problems.

I have the stainless steel solid pins on the end of the push rod.

Comparing the two systems, the Van's stock system seems a little "flimsy".

Only minor problem is the detent in the door is not designed for full 180 degree operation.

I would like to see Van's make this an option (or even standard) practice in the future.

If "Plane Around" reads this, how about coming up with a simple outside key door lock to work with your system?

Back