What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview Checklist Maker

Dgamble

Well Known Member
I wasn't satisfied with Dynon's method for creating custom checklists so I started working on an alternative. It's pretty far along and I have created a nice RV-12 checklist with it, but I'm not sure what to do with it now, if anything. Here are some screen shots to give you an idea as to where I was headed with it:

It has not been tested beyond my own PC, but I do have a self-installer that should work on any Windows machine. I really have no idea what to do with it at this point. Sell it, give it away, just forget about it - it seems a waste to only use it for my own checklist, but I'm reluctant to get pulled back into professional IT, by which I mean that I'm not sure I want to be forever on the hook for maintenance and enhancements.

As such, I would like to have a handful of people try it out, see how it works, and give me an idea as to how much more development it will need before being useful for a broader audience. Before doing that, though, I thought it might be a good idea to get some feedback on what I have done already.

Thoughts?

Edit: I think this link will allow downloading of the sample RV-12 checklist: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13ptFZhtf5i_K8my74TZG6ESu8tv5STpz/view?usp=sharing

UPDATE: this is a link to a folder on my Google Drive. I think I have it set up so anyone with this link can download the installer and some very light documentation. This link works for me, but that doesn't prove much - if it works for you, please let me know. Well, I guess I'd like to know either way.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18l4wIw0pUMUu2Db-343AKDpCGXMVG2N8?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd give it a whirl. Part of the reason I haven't used the checklists on my Skyview is because I *hate* editing the files...

I'd like to try it. I'm an old coder (and still coding for my own business). What did you code it in?

Looks great... I've been meaning to actually develop a check list for my plane. Something like this might actually drive me to do it.

As far as what to do with it. Develop it to something with a pretty good following... Then sell to Dynon. :p

Dave,
I?d like to try it. 700 hours behind my Skyviews and I?ve put off finishing the checklists long enough.

Tech stuff

I'd like to try it. I'm an old coder (and still coding for my own business). What did you code it in?

It's C#/.net built with Visual Studio 2017 Community.

I'm not sure I'm doing this right, but I think this link will take you to a folder on my Google Drive. You should be able to download the installer and a brief how-to guide.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18l4wIw0pUMUu2Db-343AKDpCGXMVG2N8?usp=sharing

Please give it a try and see if it works. If it does, I'll add the link to the original post.

Just downloaded it and installed it. It comes up fine. I'll take a look at it in more depth tomorrow. Looks good!

Works for me also

I was able to download it, install it, and I to will try it out within the next few days. I needed to update my checklists anyway, and this will be a good test.

Thank you for all the hard work in making this possible. Will post my results soon.

Brian

Last edited:
OK, started messing with it...so far, so good. One moderate suggestion...use the normal Menu Bar items at the top, as per the standards (be it Windows or Mac).

For Windows, I expect to see something like
File Edit View Tools Help
or the like.

E.g., it seems I can't close the current file, but can only open a new one.

And, a potential error...read in one file, then create a new one, then hit "Save", and it defaults to the first file name (and overwrites it). A *new* book should have no default name and force a Save As dialog box.

I'd like to be able to easily edit the entries so they look like this:
Item 1 - STATUS
Item Number99 - LONGER STATUS

instead of

Item 1 - STATUS
Item Number 99 - LONGER STATUS

OK, started messing with it...so far, so good. One moderate suggestion...use the normal Menu Bar items at the top, as per the standards (be it Windows or Mac).

For Windows, I expect to see something like
File Edit View Tools Help
or the like.

E.g., it seems I can't close the current file, but can only open a new one.

And, a potential error...read in one file, then create a new one, then hit "Save", and it defaults to the first file name (and overwrites it). A *new* book should have no default name and force a Save As dialog box.

I'd like to be able to easily edit the entries so they look like this:
Item 1 - STATUS
Item Number99 - LONGER STATUS

instead of

Item 1 - STATUS
Item Number 99 - LONGER STATUS

Good feedback, but I can't make any promises. I built this almost two years ago, back when I still remembered how to code. Two years of retirement has pretty much washed that knowledge away. I'd also like to break away from Modal dialog boxes - that was sheer laziness back when I thought I was going to be the only person to ever use it.

I don't understand the last part, though. Is the only difference a space between 'Number' and '99'? And where are you seeing that?

I definitely need to handle 'New' files better. I think I also need to add a "dirty" flag to prompt for saving edits if you've made any.

Last edited:
Good feedback, but I can't make any promises. I built this almost two years ago, back when I still remembered how to code. Two years of retirement has pretty much washed that knowledge away. I'd also like to break away from Modal dialog boxes - that was sheer laziness back when I thought I was going to be the only person to ever use it.

I don't understand the last part, though. Is the only difference a space between 'Number' and '99'? And where are you seeing that?

I definitely need to handle 'New' files better. I think I also need to add a "dirty" flag to prompt for saving edits if you've made any.

No, I was just trying to show how it would be nice to be able to *easily* (always a fun descriptor in any set of software requirements, eh?) align the right-hand side items (so you have things to be checked on the left, and the state they should be in on the right)

But this forum takes out the extra spaces, and I didn't proof my post very well...

Multi-line items...the text says to use the "Insert Blank Line Button", but there is no such button on the dialog box.

Back