What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Christmas Fire/Temporary setback

jeffmoreau

Well Known Member
An early morning at my painters shop destroyed several of the fiberglass parts for my RV8A.
Their shop is a total loss and many vehicles, tools, shop supplies, company records and sadly even the shop dog were lost in the blaze.
Several of my fiberglass components were also reduced to ashes.
The greatest loss for me was the engine upper and lower cowl. As any of you that have completed this part on your own aircraft know, it takes many hours of work to fit it properly. I also lost wheel pants and gear leg farings along with the nose gear fairings.
Not sure if any of this will be covered on their insurance policy.
I am trying no to over react, but I don't presently feel that I have the heart to continue and go through all of this work again. I have nearly one hundred thousand dollars invested in the machine. I was planning on flying it in a few weeks. This has killed my motivation. If anyone is interested in buying an extremely well built aircraft that is very near completion please contact me at [email protected] to disscuss it. I have detailed photos. A very complete builders log and many extras that will go with the project. Keep in mind you will have to have a new cowl and wheel pants. Serious inquires only please.

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear that. But please don't throw in the towel. The airplane will mean that much more once she is flying. Good luck to you and to all involved.

Don't Give Up

Jeff,

Don't give up, you are too near completion. I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason but this is sure a hard one to figure out. Hopefully it will all be covered.

You and the shop owner have my sympathy and prayers!

Mike

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers

I appreciate it guys. I just don't think that I have the skills to refit the cowl to my liking.
It took me many many hours to get the fit and finish that I wanted. I have installed camlocks and have no idea how to get them to line up on a new cowl.

Jeff--

Take a deep breath or two, give it a day, a week, and then suck it up and get at it! YOU CAN'T QUIT NOW. What a waste all that work would have been. When you re-accomplish this work and FLY it, it will have been worth it!

Where are you located? I'LL COME AND HELP YOU if it means you won't give up finishing this thing.

My sympathies, but c'mon, GIT 'ER DONE!

Joe

G'dayJeff,
sorry I cant help much from Down under :eek:
Maybe put the project off till New Year ? I have had many ups/downs with my project, I just go away for a bit and then get back into it. Sometimes its been a week or more. Once you get started again, things just roll along.
wish you best mate !

If my canopy ever gets destroyed, then I'll throw in the towel and part out the plane. At least that's what I keep saying. I'd have to sit back a while and think about the cowl & wheel pants, although they are painful too.

Yet after spending 12 years to get my RV flying, it's certainly been worth the pain. There were numerous times that I nearly bagged it, and was ready to sell. Now............selling would be the last thing I'd want to do. Since flying for the last year and a half, it's been a "high point" of my life! Pun intended.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Hang in there and DO NOT make any quick decisions when you're under this stress. You are only likely to regret it later. You will soon regain your strength to build on. There are many here that are probably able to help you out and lessen the pain/inconvenience. It will be worth it. Let us know where you are building.:eek:

Bevan

Jeff,

I feel your pain! Believe me, I feel your pain.

Give me a call (check your PM's) and I will talk to you about fitting the new cowling as I too have camloc's and will be fitting my replacement cowl soon.

"Adversity builds character!" You must complete the plane! It would be akin to quitting a marathon in the last half-mile because your feet hurt.

Take a break from the construction. Buy the parts and let them sit in the shop for a month or two. Ignore them. One day you'll wake-up and have the urge to finish! It'll be a great story of how the airplane almost "wasn't". You'll set an example of courage, dedication, and the ability to overcome adversity for us all!

Dude. Seriously?

Suck it up. Get good and drunk, punch a few holes in the wall, and go to bed.

Day after tomorrow, get up and order more parts, and finish what you started. 2 years from now you'll look back and shake your head and say "I was ready to quit at that point."

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not do anything yet

Jeff,

Please do not do anything right now. Step back take a little break. You have come too far to let this story end this way. The most rewarding projects are the ones that keep throwing wrenches in the works.

Your ultimate success will come from this fire's ashes.

Avee8tor13

What they said!

Take a break!
Find out what the insurance will pay for.
This may be a case where the insurance will pay for not only the parts but to also have a professional shop do the work. You may be out nothing but the deductible.

Count your blessings

Watch the news and see others have had fires that destroyed their homes and lost family members. Its just airplane parts. Others will help get you back to where you were and love doing it.

I nearly sold my Rv-9 a couple of years ago because of a medical issue. The only reason I didn't was because the buyer backed out right before coming to pick up the plane. I had every part inventoried and bagged. Now two years later I'm sure glad it turned out the way it did. I am hopefully a year away from flying. I'll bet they are builders close to you that would help you get back in the game.

Last edited:
Jeff,
I am ashamed to say, I was ready to give up for a much less reason than you have, and I decided to put the project up for sale. A few of my friends (namely, Jon Thocker) suggested that I am so close to finishing that I can't believe it. That was my first airplane. It's hard to believe that someone that almost gave up actually built a second airplane. My second build took less than half the time my first one did and it was more fun (and I would love to do another - so would you). What does this have to do with your predicament? Your next cowl will be easier to build that the first one (by more than 2). My advice: step back, take a break, and then analyze your goals/desires. My bet is you want your own hand built airplane. You are closer now than you ever will be. You can seek help and advice from those around you that understand or have built airplanes, but I think you will chose to go it alone. Someone else said the result is that much sweeter, and he's right. Don't lower your standards to get it done. It will happen. You will fly your plane. You are so close. Don't take the easy way out - it ain't that easy. Easier to finish and fly.

Scott

Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate all of your comments very much. I must say that I am still in shock. This was the very last thing that I would have ever expected to happen.
I wish all of you on VAF a very safe and happy 2010.

Keep going!!

Jeff,
Wherein I may have no right to say this because I haven't even started building, like others, I think once you step back and take a few deep breaths, you'll see how close you are to the finish line. There's no reason losing some parts should destroy a dream you've worked SO long and hard towards realizing. Maybe just finish the cowling and get her flying. You can always finish up the gear and wheel fairings later just to get in the air sooner.

Personally, I would collect whatever $$ is available from the insurance settlement, hit it hard right after the New Year and get her flying as soon as you can. And name her after that poor dog who perished in the blaze!

Good luck and best wishes for 2010!

I'm sure, when you're ready, a staged "intervention" could be organized to help you produce the results you're hoping for to get in the air. IF you're willing to work for it.

Dude. Seriously?

Suck it up. Get good and drunk, punch a few holes in the wall, and go to bed.

Day after tomorrow, get up and order more parts, and finish what you started. 2 years from now you'll look back and shake your head and say "I was ready to quit at that point."

Not only this....

I know I am new here, building a 9, but...

Man, those parts can be replaced. I know it sucks, but the shop cant be replaced! That was that guys job...and other people's cars...and his dog, man! The frickin owners dog died, you said.
So, do your best to continue, and realize that some people lost more than you

Sorry to hear of your loss, but every cloud has a silver lining. You just had the hassle of naming your plane done for you...Phoenix, because I WILL rise from the ashs! Step back, have a stiff drink, and remember all you lost are some pieces of plastic and some of your time.

Fitting to existing camlocs

I think you will find that fitting the second cowl will go faster than the first one, and come out even better. You're not going to let a cowl re-do stop you.

I've thought about how to fit to existing camloc's -- you need to make some little transfer punch parts that nest into the camloc fitting and mark the inside of the cowl. Or it may be possible to shine a bright light through from the inside and see where to drill a pilot hole on the outside. There are probably others here that have thought about better ways to do it.

Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate all of your comments very much. I must say that I am still in shock. This was the very last thing that I would have ever expected to happen.
I wish all of you on VAF a very safe and happy 2010.

Never make a major decision when you are "in shock". :)

Really sorry to hear of your setback, but many builders have overcome much greater obstacles.

Best wishes for a speedy conclusion of your project!

P.S. You will notice I retitled this thread. ;)

Last edited:
Don't give up. I have had that same feeling on several past projects. Step back, take a couple of weeks off of the project and reprogram your mind. You can and will complete it. GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!

There is a reason for this. You just don't know what it is at the moment. It is really the stress of being so close to finishing. It's kind of the same stress pilots feel when the are getting ready to take their PPL test.

Rise from the ashes!!!

Jeff,

By the Powers bestowed upon me (by myself), I hearby nickname thee "Phoenix". May you always have the strength to rise from the ashes of doom, regaining your bright plumage and vibrant colors, and take wing!
phoenix-main_Full_1_.jpg

Peace, my friend. In a couple of days, or weeks, or even months, this will just be a speedbump that you'll look back on. Think of the stories you can tell!:cool:

Not only this....

I know I am new here, building a 9, but...

Man, those parts can be replaced. I know it sucks, but the shop cant be replaced! That was that guys job...and other people's cars...and his dog, man! The frickin owners dog died, you said.
So, do your best to continue, and realize that some people lost more than you

Best post in this thread so far...Jeff, this does suck, no doubt. But what you lost pales in comparison to what was lost by the shop owner. I don't mean to sound insensitive to your lost fiberglass parts, but like others have said...they are just flippin fiberglass parts.

I almost didn't read anything beyond the loss of the dog, and perhaps it's because THAT breaks my heart, I decided to post the words I did, but cmon, take the advise given...take a break and come back to it later.

I'm terribly sorry to hear of the loss of the guy's dog and his place of business.

Cause of fire?

Jeff,

I can't add anything to the excellent comments and suggestions you've already received, but any idea what caused the shop fire? Perhaps there is something we can learn to help prevent it from happening again.

Thanks,
Mickey

Jeff,
Personally, I would collect whatever $$ is available from the insurance settlement, hit it hard right after the New Year and get her flying as soon as you can. And name her after that poor dog who perished in the blaze!

If the dog's name is ICARUS, please rethink the previous. :D

Cause Of Fire

The investigation so far seems to point to two bad electrical transformers which cased a surge of power into the shop. This lead to an electrical fire. When the various chemicals in the shop were ignited the building became somewhat of a bomb.

Last edited:
That's what it is...

Jeff,

By the Powers bestowed upon me (by myself), I hearby nickname thee "Phoenix". May you always have the strength to rise from the ashes of doom, regaining your bright plumage and vibrant colors, and take wing!
phoenix-main_Full_1_.jpg

:

..........tail art!! Wow, Phoenix it is!!

Seriously good advice to forget about everything for a few days...a week maybe....then regroup.

Best,

Sorry for your loss and for the shop owner's loss, especially the dog. Be thankful you aren't looking at a pile of melted aluminum. Fiberglass is a pain, but it is doable. Get some help if you must, but don't give up on a dream. Hang in there.

Bob Kelly

Jeff, Take a look at my fire pictures.

Look at my pictures here : http://www.richardfazio.name/RV-6%20After%20The%20Fire/index.html
After the fire I felt the same as you. I was going to give up. I had to get a new cowl, new windshield and slider canopy, My tips were ruined and even the spinner. It's funny how much better of a job you can do the second time around. Not only does it come out better but it goes much faster. You know exactly how to do it. Just don't do anything rash, take your time think about it for a while and I think you'll change your mind and redo that cowl better than before.

Jeff, I'm so sorry.

My guess is that many of your RV friends around the Virginia Beach area will help you re-fit the cowl in no time. If you lived near me I'd be there the day you get the new cowl.

Hang in there, you'll be glad you kept the plane on the day of the first flight (I suspect).

I am fortunate that it wasn't worse!

Look at my pictures here : http://www.richardfazio.name/RV-6%20After%20The%20Fire/index.html
After the fire I felt the same as you. I was going to give up. I had to get a new cowl, new windshield and slider canopy, My tips were ruined and even the spinner. It's funny how much better of a job you can do the second time around. Not only does it come out better but it goes much faster. You know exactly how to do it. Just don't do anything rash, take your time think about it for a while and I think you'll change your mind and redo that cowl better than before.

I am completely blown away by the kindness and generosity of the builders on this site. This is a fantastic forum of great and genuine "Good Guys"!
After looking at these photos I now feel fortunate that my damage wasn't much worse. Thanks to all of you that have offered advise and assistance.
I appreciate it much more than I can even express.
P.S. Does anyone know how much a replacement cowl costs from Van's?

See the light like I did when I fit my upper cowl...

Like he said, you will see the light. I used a short flourescent light when I was drilling my cowl. The details are on this page:
http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a071.htm
DSCK0232.JPG

DSCK0233.JPG

Remember the reason it went slowly the first time was all the time you spent figuring out how to do the job the best way. You already know how that is done. It goes much faster the second time. Some of the repeat offenders on this list can attest to that. Those photos above were my initial fit of the hinges to the upper cowl. I later changed them to screws and plate nuts with new aluminum strips replacing the hinges. The change went very quickly. See this page for the completed work after changing to screws: http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a074.htm

Mark Pickens is a guy at Moontown Airport near Huntsville, Alabama who built several RV's and got faster with each one.

Then there is always the option of putting on a Sam James cowl and cooling plenum allowing you to go faster and more efficiently due to reduced engine cooling drag!

Last edited:
Cost of cowl

Jeff,

I searched "the list", checked the part numbers on the plans, and checked the accessory catalog. The part number is for the -7 (in the -7 parts list that comes with the kit) is COWL, 7/7A BOT IO-360 & COWL, 7/7A TOP IO-360. I'm sure that the -8 cowl is likewise named.

The price of the cowl is not listed anywhere that I could find. Looks like a call to Van's is required to find the cost of a new -8 cowl.

Fire Photo

I thought that some of you would like to see what the fire did to my upper and lower cowling.
Thanks!
2rx769s.jpg
[/IMG]

That'll buff right out.....ok maybe not. But in the big picture it's just another little hurdle to leap over.

I deleted the -7 cowl from my finish kit and was credited $850(i think).

hang in there.

You've suffered a setback. A very small setback.

Just be glad that wasn't your "cowling mold" as opposed to your cowling. I know this doesn't apply to RV's but some builders/designers have had to make a cowling mold from scratch. Then do layups inside the scratch built cowling mold to fabricate the cowling itself. Talk about hours invested. Buying a replacement cowling from Van's and doing the fitting pales in comparison. Ditto for the other fiberglass parts you lost.

Concentrate on what it's going to feel like flying your own plane and you'll be fine.

You are vulnerable

Maybe this is the time to consider a Sam James cowl? Whatever your recovery path is, I think you need to consider the lack of favorable pricing your airplane will demand now compared to what it will be if you finish it and then offer it up for sale. If you have $100,000 invested already the wise thing to do would be salvage the remains and convert it into something of high value. No potential buyer is going to blissfully accept that the plastic parts were destroyed and EVERYTHING else is OK - the proof is in the seeing and operating and you can't offer that in your current situation. From your comments I think you are already leaning that way and It makes a lot of practical sense.

Bob Axsom

I will see it through.

Thank you to everyone that responded to my original post. I have decided that I will press on and finish every last piece of this aircraft.
As soon as I am financially able to replace all of the parts, the construction will begin once again. I thank all of you for your very kind words of support and offers for help. I wish everyone a happy new year. I have a vision that the "Phoenix" will fly in 2010.

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone that responded to my original post. I have decided that I will press on and finish every last piece of this aircraft.
As soon as I am financially able to replace all of the parts, the construction will begin once again. Once again, I thank all of you for your very kind words of support and offers for help. I wish everyone a happy new year. I have a vision that the "Phoenix" will fly in 2010.

Good news Jeff. Keep us posted on the "Flight if the Phoenix". :D

I'll Help!

Jeff,

Just heard the news. Let me know when and I'll come down and lend a hand. You and I need to get our aircraft in the air this year. We have to keep the RV corner of the chapter going strong! See you at the meeting next week! :)

Kent

As soon as I am financially able to replace all of the parts, the construction will begin once again. I thank all of you for your very kind words of support and offers for help. I wish everyone a happy new year. I have a vision that the "Phoenix" will fly in 2010.

Congratulations Jeff. I wanted to hurl when I read your original post and saw your pictures. I know there are a couple of things I would do differently (better) if I had to do my cowl over again. The first time, you just don't know how everything is supposed to fit and look until its done, and it takes hours and hours to get there because you're solving each and every little puzzle that comes up along the way. Mine right now is the fit of the inlet ramps and ducts. I've spent hours looking at other builders' websites. If I had to do it all again I bet it could be done in 20 or 30% of the time, and with higher quality. Yes there are some tricks you will have to use because the camlocs are no longer matched, but there are techniques for dealing with this. I'm sure Bill R. and others on here can advise you on how to deal with this.

Best of Luck, keep us informed on your progress.

Not 2010 yet!

Hey Kent, you'd better get moving if you and Jeff are going to get your planes in the air this year- only 3 building days left :D

Those of us in Jeff's EAA chapter 339 have no intention of letting him get rid of his plane without finishing it- then he can decide if he can really part with it. I know that after my first flight 2 weeks ago, Jeff was about ready to wrap up and get his in the air. He really was only 2-4 weeks out. The difficult part is that those of you who don't know Jeff, also don't know what a craftsman he is. The plane is bound to be an award winner. My second attempt would be much quicker, but Jeff's will still be considerably longer than most as he will not settle for anything less than perfect. He has plenty of people ready to help though. I'm sure he also appreciates the support of everyone at VAF. You will all appreciate meeting him when he does get the
8A flying. The other story you don't know about Jeff is that he flies right seat on a Hawker jet for his day job- and just went through an engine failure a couple of weeks ago. Been a busy holiday season!

The best thing I've read this whole thread! Keep it up! I wanted to sell my kit due to a friend having an accident in his RV. Everyone kept me going in the right direction and said that you would regret that decision if you do! I've dreamed for many many years of building my own airplane and I am so glad I have supportive friends and family! Keep building, you'll thank yourself later!!

Back