What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Who'da Thunk ?

terrykohler

Well Known Member
I see the Van-O-Meter has tripped over 500 for the RV9 series. WOW! When I started my build in '02, Van's had just a few of these flying and had just recently added an O320 as a build option. That change, coupled with the performance numbers they were quoting really got my attention.
I had been nearly a year without an airplane (a Cessna T210) and was suffering severe withdrawal. I had spent nearly 20 years flying out of KPTK, and didn't really know anyone there, other than the owner of the shop that serviced my 210. Leave early in the morning for business and return late at night - no flying on the weekends.
A chance call to EAA to try and find anyone who was nearby and building ANY RV lead me to Nick Seraphinoff, a tech rep for Chapter 13. Showed up at Nick's tiny house just on the outskirts of Detroit and was met by a short, slight ball of energy who was 83 years old and involved in his 8th or 9th build (pictures of RVs, Thorps, Vollmers and many others covered his walls). Nick convinced me that it was "doable", and when I told him it was time for me to leave, he said "don't you want to see the plane?" I thought he was talking about a trip to KDET and told him I didn't have time. "It's right here, in the shop!" Turns out the "shop" was his one car garage. He had done all of this incredible building in a ONE (not 1 and a half) car garage adjacent to a house with no basement. Yup, if he could do this, then I could too.
I joined Chapter 13 and met a lot of wonderful people. It was an incredible chapter (now located at Ray Twp Airport), with monthly meeting usually attended by 60-70 people and ALWAYS an interesting guest speaker. At the time, I believe there were 50+ airplanes under construction within the chapter, many of which are flying today. I still try and get with Chapter 13 when I can - they are VERY active with the Young Eagles program.
My slow build involved a lot of input from Nick (his favorite expression was, "stop worrying, it's just an airplane" and 18 months later, I was looking for a hangar back at KPTK. I ran into the dreaded "waiting list" and was temporarily given a hangar slated for tear-down. Only problem with the hangar was the decided lack of power available. My compressor and one other tool or light usually was enough to trip the breaker, located behind locked doors in the end of the row. The problem was partially solved by leaving the hangar door full open for light. This created a second problem in that the final build was taking place from October to February, and it was a cold winter.
Shortly after I pushed the door open for the ninth or tenth time, a guy across the tarmac came over, looked around, and suggested we trade hangars. It was Ted Gauthier, RV6 builder, DAR, and it turns out, all around great guy. Most importantly, Ted's hangar had gas fired heat.
I had to swap a few times with Ted as he needed the heat as well. At the same time, my "open door policy" was introducing me to a lot of other new people - Ron Drake (9A), Curt Martin (Murphy Amphib), Dave Pohl (7A) and others too numerous to mention. I had discovered "life" at KPTK
Ron gave me my first RV ride. Where are we going? Alma, Michigan. Why? You're going to meet Sam Benjamin and he's going to give you transition training. Turns out Sam was a former freight dog and in addition to great stick skills, also told wonderful stories about flying the BE18s. No autopilots, one hand on the yoke and the other plugging into the relief tube, only to find out that the drain is iced over. Brought a whole new meaning to Aeronautical Decision Making.
Ted asked me to join in a breakfast group that met every weekend at a restaurant near the airport. Home builders, corporate pilots, airline guys, ex-military, and other assorted crackpots. I fit right in. Still show up every Saturday and Sunday morning.
At one of our "meetings" a few years back, I casually mentioned some difficulties my daughter was having with military paperwork and medical school. Next thing I know, Captain Roger Bentlage (retired) has called Washington, DC, she's in the Navy, and on her way to Bethesda. Leah is now a flight surgeon, just returned from deployment, and thinking about Naval Medicine as a long term career. Oh yeah, and Roger gave her her oath when she was first sworn in.
After 35 years of work/flying, I had discovered flying for fun. More importantly, I've met a lot of great people and made some wonderful friends. Best friends. I've found there are some really smart, talented people hanging around airports. It isn't hard to find them, just start asking dumb questions or holler really loud when you bury that drill bit into your finger for the first time.
We're approaching 500 hours on N323TP, and I'm proud to say have had very few problems. While it's not turbo-charged or equipped for known ice, it burns less than half the fuel and is fully insured for a quarter of the cost of the 210. More importantly, It's FUN to fly and is a great cross country machine and instrument platform. No regrets on my choice of RVs.
Finally, one of the "characters" I've met at Pontiac is Harold Thompson, a former B17 commander who flew out of England in the early days of WWII. Harold built and flies a Falco and in spite of 80+ years, still has the FSDO guys shaking their heads in amazement. My long term goal is to be like Harold.
I never dreamed when I first started building that it would take me down this road. To paraphrase one of my good friends, "I can't imagine what my life would be without aviation and homebuilding".
Who'da Thunk
Terry, RV-9A
N323TP

Very cool post, Terry. I hope you don't mind me moving it to the 9/9A section from 'Test/Misc'. I didn't want it to get auto-deleted after a month (like all posts in 'Test/Misc' are).

br,
dr

Terry,

Sound like a great group! Any chance the "breakfast club" will be meeting during the holidays? I'll be around Ann Arbor and Chelsea visiting in-laws for a couple of weeks, and will probably need some aviation fellowship before it's over.;)

An RV is very doable in a one car garage. I did it. :)

Good to see that RV9s are increasing in number. One of Van's employees remarked long ago that the -9/-9A is an outstanding plane and will benefit from a "grass roots" movement of like minded folks who appreciate its differences from the other RV models.

Take the other day, for example. I was in the flare to touch down with a stiff headwind. I could swear that she was just about hovering above the tarmac in the seconds before touchdown. :eek:

That wing is amazing!

Great post ...

My mother-in-law lives in Royal Oak, and I get up that way a fair amount. One of these days I'll give you a call. :D
As you probably know, Rick Woodall is another Nine builder just across the river in Windsor.

Need a "Fix"?

One of these days I'll give you a call.

Terry:
Just show up for breakfast (Everybody's Cafe) or give me a call (248-417-8585). Can probably do some RV-ating, if you'd like.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

Nice write up

I intend to be one of those completed before the 600 milestone is hit. My fellow builder/friend Mike is in the final stages on getting his 9A done as well. He should be flying in 2010.

The builders seem to be segregated from the flyers in my area.

Nick Seraphinoff

Great story, Nick built my first aircraft T-18, it was the 5th he had completed for a friend. Great craftsman, and aviator.

One of the 9's

I am one of the first 500... # 483 to be exact, and it feels good to have such
distinguished company. I love the 9/9A. it does what it's supposed to and does it well! I plan to complete Phase I and then re-establish my instrument competency.

Great Blog!
Jim F
RV-9A N571DF
Canby, OR

RV-9A #155 on Van's Hobb's Meter

The day my first flight was posted on Van's web site, the Hobb's meter ticked off RV-9/9A number 155. My serial number is 90622. I passed 467 other builders on the way to my first flight.

I too, am a 1-car garage builder in a duplex townhouse environment. My landlord asked how long it would take to complete the airplane. When I told him two to three years, he felt assured I would not be moving out soon. The story begins on my Page 1. http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a001.htm
tif6901a.jpg

The airplane construction project began in October 2002 and moved to the airport on April 27, 2005. The moving story is found here: http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a117.htm#MovingDay
DSCL0260.JPG

The final assembly was at Collegedale Airport with first flight on June 9, 2005. http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a136.htm

I met Ron Drake when his airplane was featured at Oshkosh 2004. His serial number is 90400.
DSCJ0188.JPG

Here is my airplane the day it rolled out of the paint shop on July 23, 2005 - - just in time for the trip to Oshkosh 2005. That is when the story really begins for the "Enterprise" RV-9A. http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a150.htm
DSCM0209A.JPG

DSCM0208A.JPG

The Hobb's meter on N2PZ has just under 288 hours on it. I have flown the airplane to OSH in 2005 and 2006, the Great Lakes, New York & New England, Florida several times, Texas, New Mexico, and Denver. I put in a video camera and recorded my arrival and departure from Oshkosh 2006.

My congratulations to the other 514 builders who have completed and flown their RV-9 and RV-9A airplanes as of this posting.

Michigan RVers

Terry,

I too am a member of Chapter 13. I am building a 7A slider currently building wings. I know Ted Gauthier and he is a great asset to the RV community.

Other members in 13 with RVs are Dennis Glaeser, 7A Subie: Tom Hoover, 7A O320; and Dick Green 6A. There are 2 RV-12s under construction as well.

I usually attend the meetings and would like to meet you. Maybe I have and just don't know it.

Dave Nellis
(586)322-6131 cell

Terry,
What an interesting story (like many here). It takes me back to my freight dog days. I too flew BE18's out of KPTK - also flew DC-3's for Cryderman. Flew the twin beech for Wyman and a few trips for Wally Cook (Bard Air) down at city airport. Anyway, I'm familiar with Ray airport because it's close to my wife's sister (Harrison Twp) and I get in there occasionally. The last time I was there, it was difficult to find a dry spot to tie down on and as I was taking off I heard from one of the chapter 13 members who was coming in to land. I have an RV-8 Fastback and he told me to let him know when I was coming back and he would find me a better place to park (like a hangar maybe). I don't know who it was, but it was a friendly invitation, just like the guys I saw hanging out at the airport that day. Pontiac is a little less 'homey', but I know there's a lot of RV activity there too. I rebuilt the engine on my first airplane - an RV-6 - in the Williams Int'l hangar at PTK with the help of my friends Jim Albers and Bob Lambert (former chief pilot). It's still running strong out in Reno. Thanks for the story.

Scott
RV-8 FB

Belated THANK YOU!

Ted asked me to join in a breakfast group that met every weekend at a restaurant near the airport. Home builders, corporate pilots, airline guys, ex-military, and other assorted crackpots. I fit right in. Still show up every Saturday and Sunday morning.Terry, RV-9A
N323TP

I've been offline for the better part of a week, but didn't want to miss sending out a big public THANK YOU to Terry for the fellowship and RVating last Saturday, the day after Christmas. The group was very welcoming, and Terry's patience with this out-of-town ham-fisted high-wing taildragger pilot at the stick of his beautiful 9-A is to be commended! I hope to be able to return the favor someday. Terry, you're welcome in Tehachapi anytime.

Back