What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bullet cameras and compatible HD camcorders

Kahuna

Moderatoring
Searching the archives, I cant find anyone recording to HD camcorders.
The bullet cameras are analog and the recording device needs to be able to have an AV input for an analog device.
I have a flash based AIPTEK but it greys out and quits over 3 g's and with the vibrations associated with prolonged spin rotations. Its very frustrating.

I could just go find one of the miniDV camcorders but I also have the need to upgrade now to a fancy HD camcorder. I had the opportunity to work one yesterday and the video is stunning and runs native on Windows 7. So what Id like to do is kill 2 birds with one stone. Upgrade to a handheld HD camcorder AND be able to hook my bullet camera to it.

The average Joe bag of donuts home use would be to play a VHS tape and record to a HD camcorder to digitize and save for life. I would have expected this ability to be a feature of these new camcorders as they were with some of the miniDV's but I just cant find any of these new HD camcorders that will take an analog AV input.

There are various websites that show compatibility charts like this and this. Frankly they are out of date and not kept up with.

I called helmetcamera.com, the maker of my bullet camera, and they were "not sure" of any HD camcorders that take an AV analog input. I was surprised by this since this is their business. They admitted they have not kept up with their list of compatible camcorders and just could not name ONE HD camcorder that would work. They sell a flash based tiny thing just like the AIPTEK unit I have and I dont have much faith in it or need. I already have one that does not hold up.

The Sony HD camcorder I tried yesterday did hold up to the G and vibration. It of course does not have AV analog input. Rats.

Are any of you aware of an HD camcorder that will take an analog AV input to record?
Thanks

they were "not sure" of any HD camcorders that take an AV analog input.

Are any of you aware of an HD camcorder that will take an analog AV input to record?
Thanks

Mike:

The Cannon HV 10 and HV 20 are HD cameras that will accept analog video. They record to mini DV tape and will stand up to more "G's" than will the DVD Camcorders. Their only problem is that I haven't been able to get sound recorded too. There's probably a way, I just haven't done it yet.

Your video is only going to be as good as your bullet camera, it won't be in HD.

How long is videotape going to archive???? Don't think anyone knows yet.

The Cannon HV 20 has an AV input for a bullet camera...At least mine does.

I have the same set up as groucho which he has documented very well on his website. The camera is a 480 line security camera.

Works pretty well which gives me a lame excuse to post a link to my videos that Youtube likes to strip the sountracks off.

www.youtube.com/user/frankandmarci

Frank

Oh and you can record voice on the HV 20 as well..Just haven't done it yet..You can either take a headset feed from the audio panel or split the feed from your micophone to the audio panel..Aircraft spruce sells a cable for such, or you can make your own.

Frank

Yes, it does... if you read carefully, this model has an audio "input", a Microphone Terminal - 3.5 mm stereo mini-jack for recording.

He is looking for BOTH audio & video (called AV for short). The Canon HF models have stereo mike only in; but the Canon HV models (mini-DV) have AV in & out.

I have a Canon HFS100, stereo mike in only.

I'm looking forward to the day analog interface cameras disappear. I'd really like to have digital 'bullet' cameras, a nice HD digital DVR, all with HDMI (maybe) interfaces. Hollywood won't like that though.

As well as HV30. The only problem is that it will record only in SD mode. Even if you find HD bullet camera it won't work in HD - only SD.

Bummer.. I just snagged an HV30 for $450.. I guess I'll just have to go SD with the bullet camera..

My video camera details...

My story of the video camera installation and my JVC GR-D72U digital video camcorder begin on this web page. The camcorder can receive or output video and audio on the same connection as set by the menu. I normally have the camcorder on the seat beside me in my RV-9A. I can see the image on the view screen you see in this photo.
http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a211.htm#June8
DVC00041.JPG

The external camera on top of the instrument panel is made by KT&C. It is the H230 series with an adjustable focal length and mechanical zoom on the lens. The model KPC-S230C(H)V seen on this page is the one that is similar to the model I bought in 2006.
http://www.ktnc.co.kr/english/viewtopic.php?t=396
DSCQ0133.JPG

DSCQ0134.JPG

I documented my exact camera on this page of my web site.
http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a219.htm

I use a 75-watt DC to AC power inverter to power both the camera and camcorder via their original universal AC power supplies. I have a 12-volt accessory power socket on the bottom right side of my instrument panel.

I used this setup to record my 2006 arrival and departure videos from Oshkosh Airventure. I have also used the frame grabber "snapshot" feature of the camcorder to get 640 x 480 pix that are posted on my web site.

Back