What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air conditioning questions...

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
While I'm waiting for my empennage kit to arrive I'm working on my budget and want list.

It's decided that Air Conditioning is at the top of the list of 'wants'. I've searched through posts and have read the arguments that it's unneeded and you should just fly higher. I used to agree with that until I spent this summer flying about 60 hours and there were several times I got caught on the taxi waiting for release. Even when it's low 90's (A cool day) I end up burning up, halfway hanging out the window of my plane... and that's a 172 in the shade of my high wing. So I will sacrifice the weight, load and whatnot to have this!

So though various searches two company names have come up, Airflow-systems and Flightline. I've read a few write ups with people happy with Airflow, haven't really seen anything on Flightline and all posts I've read were 4+ years ago, some closer to 9. I looked through the installation of an Airflow system and it made sense to me. So I'm leaning toward Airflow, especially with the scope being on the outside, not sure how the Flightline system works without on. I know if I built boxes around my home AC unit they wouldn't be able to cool properly.

Looking for some recent information on either or both of these kits, or maybe there's another player in the market. Thanks!

Air conditioning

Justin,
I'm using the airflow system in my RV10. I am very happy with it in the Oklahoma summers. Waiting in line at Oshkosh last year for takeoff would have been miserable. The a/c was a refreshing cool way to wait in line.
Feel free to contact me via email and I can give you more info on my system.
Greg...
[email protected]

Greg- first off I've been through you site, the interior (among other things) of your RV-10 is amazing to say the least. I'll definitely shoot you an email.

Last edited:
I have air-flow systems and have been happy. Makes AZ a year round venue which is nice. Pax love it.

That big windshield makes a sauna even at low oat's. I actually have it on more than I thought I would. Just getting the humidity out is nice and has to be good for everything else in the cabin.

The reason I chose AF was I liked the heat exchanger outside the cabin rather than inside (the other design draws air in and then dumps it back out. That left me with CO worries) plus I like the looks of the scoop. I get published speeds so no real drag penalty.

It is a bigger additive process than I expected and hasn't been completely hassle free, but Bill backs his customers and has been continually improving his kit.

I am going to send that email and nothing is going to stop me.......

Gotta love the auto-fill :D

Fixed.. When ever I'm posting at night it's from an Ipad so yes... that coupled with my bad spelling might make for some interesting sentences.

I have the flightline (actually have bought two systems - one for rv-10, one Lancair Evolution) both very nice. That being said, I am not sure Flightline is a viable option anymore. John sold is company to Kelly Aerospace and they seem to now be focused on the certified market.

I have the flightline (actually have bought two systems - one for rv-10, one Lancair Evolution) both very nice. That being said, I am not sure Flightline is a viable option anymore. John sold is company to Kelly Aerospace and they seem to now be focused on the certified market.

Arctic Air?

Arctic Air has some "ice cooler AC units, but they also sell some portable units that are true ACs. I would think that running a portable unit would offer the most mission flexibility and would certainly make installation much easier too. Why fly around with it all the time, if you don't need to?

Back