VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-21-2017, 10:14 PM

Default RV-9 as a first RV?

Hey everyone, I’m new to the forum and looking to purchase my first RV. Currently my little Aeronca Champ is all l know and am looking to move up to something more capable. After a long cross country in my friends RV7 l was hooked, but a little apprehensive about the speed at landing so maybe the 9 is a better fit. .

l won’t fly a nose wheel as all my time is in tail draggers.

Thanks again for your input. Sean
Old 11-21-2017, 10:21 PM

Default RV-9 as a first RV

Good choice, that's what Van designed the RV-9 for, an easy flying and landing cross country cruiser.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:48 PM

Works for me! I'm not into aerobatics, but wanted an efficient cross country airplane that is easy to fly. I first flew my RV-9A with about 140 hours total time and coming off of a 23 year hiatus of not flying. It is easy to land and you can slow way down to less than 60 knots. It just needs a bit of RPM (~1200) on the prop to keep the sink rate acceptable. My stall speed with flaps is around 43 knots. I cruise at 150 knots, so there is quite a wide range of speeds with the -9 wing/airfoil. Taildragger -9's are fairly rare. Don't be afraid of the nose wheel!
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2017 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 11-22-2017, 12:16 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick972 View Post
Hey everyone, I’m new to the forum and looking to purchase my first RV.
Sean, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 11-22-2017, 12:26 AM

I have enough time in 8’s & 9’s to say without hesitation that the landing speed differences between the 7 & 9 are negligible. Yes, the 9 stalls “7” mph slower, but your touchdown speeds are within normal variations from landing to landing that in practicality, they overlap.

Since the 7/8 handle the same, you’ll find they are notably more nimble and lighter on the controls than the 9. The 9 feels more like a truck to the 7/8, which in turn makes it more “stable”. If your primary mission is economical cross country, then the 9 is your bird. If you want to yank and bank like an F-16, then go -7/8.

To be honest, if I were to do it again, I’d build the -14, as it seems to be the best of both worlds. Even though is has more HP, with fuel injection you can still throttle it back to -9 like fuel economy and still yank & bank it.

Just my 2 cents
Building Log: www.mykitlog.com/n539rv
APRS Tracking: aprs.fi/n539rv
2017 Paid
Old 11-22-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick972 View Post
Hey everyone, I’m new to the forum and looking to purchase my first RV. Currently my little Aeronca Champ is all l know and am looking to move up to something more capable. After a long cross country in my friends RV7 l was hooked, but a little apprehensive about the speed at landing so maybe the 9 is a better fit. .

l won’t fly a nose wheel as all my time is in tail draggers.

Thanks again for your input. Sean
Sean welcome! The 9 will be a perfect fit for you. Don't hesitate start looking now it takes a year or more to find your dream aircraft. Tail or nose doesn't matter much it's all personal choice the handling is the same

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:00 AM

Talking Absolutely a 9 first (and maybe last)

I am a bit biased,... as you can see below.

Made the jump from spam to RV,...Not a problem,... but as you mentioned it takes some recalibration for timing and “sight picture”

Would highly recommend transition training, and insurance would require it. Also take a look at the safety forum for the training sylabus, good info there.

What are you waiting for? Get and keep the grin...

(Why I said “and maybe last” is because you will enjoy it so much,...no need to change)
Phase 2 has started!
Thanksgiving time, is dues time for us
Old 11-22-2017, 08:26 AM

The 9 is a great choice. and since you're already " tailwheel ready", that would be a great way to go. The 9 does, in my opinion, handle noticeably much slower in the landing approach than a 7. At least my margin of safe airspeed seems slower than in a 7. Speed control is important since the 9 will not land until the correct touchdown speed is attained ( like most tailwheel planes) otherwise you will get the experience of several landings at one time. My 9 is not the best at 3 point landings, probably due to the light composite prop on the front. But an excellent performer with the 0320 160HP and FP prop. The CS prop owners indicate that the 9 is easier to slow down with that confiq.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:42 AM

What Dennis said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisRhodes View Post
The 9 is a great choice. and since you're already " tailwheel ready", that would be a great way to go. The 9 does, in my opinion, handle noticeably much slower in the landing approach than a 7. At least my margin of safe airspeed seems slower than in a 7. Speed control is important since the 9 will not land until the correct touchdown speed is attained ( like most tailwheel planes) otherwise you will get the experience of several landings at one time. My 9 is not the best at 3 point landings, probably due to the light composite prop on the front. But an excellent performer with the 0320 160HP and FP prop. The CS prop owners indicate that the 9 is easier to slow down with that confiq.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2018
Old 11-22-2017, 10:10 AM

Default Rv-9

Hi Sean. I recently finished my 9 that I converted from a 9a.
I did the conversion because I had acquired some time in an Rv-3.
And enjoyed the tail wheel experience. I’m close to flying off my 40 hrs and so far the main difference landing the two, is the 9 likes to land slow either 3 point or wheel landings. There is a fair amount of spring in the gear which also adds to wanting a slow touch down speed. 60-65 mph over the numbers makes for some easy landings. 1.2 x Vso or 1.3 Vso is 58/62 Mph. Compared to an Rv-7? Not sure. More float and less sink rate than the 7.

The challenges so far in landing have been in gusty conditions, if you come in to fast, it doesn’t want to land and you find yourself half way down the runway before it finally wants to settle in and not bounce. As of any airplane, but the 9 moreso because of the longer/thicker wing in ground effect. This is the only draw back of the 9 that I have found thus far. Times like these I wish I had more wing loading and a smaller wing. Or maybe a large passenger and full baggage.

With an 0320, 160hp, Sterba wood cruise prop, At 8k, 75% power, 2500 rpm, I’m seeing 180mph TAS.
I’ve yet to fly it over 8k where I hear it really gets in the performance groove.
Testing so far full fuel I’m at: 48mph Vso, 54 mph Vfe.

It’s a great airplane, really fun for the full spectrum of flying. I’m looking forward
to some 10-12k distance,economy flying and some short grass strip landings.

Last edited by agirard7a : 11-22-2017 at 11:33 AM.