What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 SikaFlex Question

Pman

For those RV8 Builders who have used SikaFlex to attach your canopy:

Question, reviewing the plans (DWG44 Section A-A) this shows the plexiglass cut "even" with the bottom of the canopy frame. For those who have used Sika, did you cut your canopy plexiglass per the plans (even with the bottom of the frame), OR did you cut your glass a little lower "below" the bottom of the frame to allow the Sika to have more surface area to support/hold?

I've cut my canopy per the plans, (it is even with the bottom of the frame),

I'm second guessing myself and wondering, should I have cut the plexiglass lower (below the frame) so as to allow more area for symmetrical Sika filets on the upper and lower surfaces of the canopy frame?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience and insight to my questions!

Mike Perillo

Last edited:
I cut per plan. No issues after 4 years and I frequently travel cross country at 17,500. With all the talk I?ve seen of RV8 canopies popping in cold I am very happy mine has no rivets, screws or otherwise pokey bits of canopy splitting metal in it.

Build on.

Cut even

Bottom of my canopy was cut even with the bottom of the frame. No issues after 3+ years.

I don't think you'll need to worry at all. Sika seems very strong and you'll have the canopy skirts over the bottom of the canopy helping hold on. I did the full treatment on the outside of the glass and the inside of the skirt where they contact - cleaner, primer, and sika.

Back