What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet Question

piperpilot

(Sorry if this has been discussed but in my search I could not find a definitive answer.)

I seem to be out of LP4-4 rivets and swimming in LP4-3 of course. Currently I am assembling the wings and attaching the ribs. As you know most of the rivets used for this task are LP4-3 but LP4-4's are used where the Un-trimmed ribs attach to the main spar.

I have a supply of N-Cherry rivets for aircraft spruce. These BSP-44's have the same grip spec as the LP4-4's from Vans. I see the LP4-4's are rated similar to the BSP44's (200lbs shr, 325lbs tens). My question is can I substitute the BSP-44's for the LP4-4's.

One item I note in the difference is the LP's seem to have a zinc coating on the steel mandrel shaft but the Cherry N BSP's appear to have a bare steel mandrel.

Any insight would be appreaciated.

I can?t answer your specific substitution question, but I just checked my inventory. I completed my wings a couple of weeks ago and have 9 LP4-4s left over. And I don?t recall having to have removed any either. Probably tough to tell where you might have used LP4-4s now, but you might have gotten a bit carried away with them? I will admit there were a couple of places I would have thought LP4-4s to have been more appropriate, but the plans called out the LP4-3s. Go figure.

Thanks,

I will be ordering more LP4-4's since mine are no where to be found (they may have gotten legs), the issue is this side of the boarder takes about 2 weeks from Vans and it's a long weekend here. I also haven't gone crazy with the incorrect size rivets as I double check every time for proper length both physically and to the plans, it's just an inventory issue:)

What I can see from the spec sheets the Cherry N BSPS44's seem to be stronger than the LP4-4's and both have the same working length, so I think I'm ok but I was looking for an expert opinion. I tested the two on a piece of scrap the N's definitely have more of a grunt and snap on the rivet gun than the LP's but this is by no means a technical answer:) My plans of finishing the wing skeletons on this long weekend maybe postponed...

Thanks for your help.

Back