What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sky Beacon

NewbRVator

Well Known Member
Hi I was wondering if anybody has installed the sky beacon an ADBS-out solution on the left wing of their Van’s. I have a 6A and the lights are inside the clear wing tip so it looks as if a notch would have to be cut in the clear wingtip fairing so the antenna protrudes through to the bottom of the wing.

The Sky Beacon does look like a good solution however just wondering what other peoples experiences might be.
Thanks

Uavionix used to have a rather large price gap making it a better deal. Their prices seem to keep creeping up as they release new products, making them less of a deal. In addition if you have an older transponder, you have to take into consideration if it quit working tomorrow. For me, I elected to replace a kt76 with a new solid state system from garmin.

The Appareo ES can be had for relatively cheap. Around us that?s $2200 from a dealer. Hard to beat. Same for some of the garmin systems with adsb out.

Sorry to take this off topic but I took the uavionix deal after the navworx fiasco. Thy were originally designed for UAV?s where I?m sure they excelled. However, after the fact we started figuring out it there were issues with dropping traffic. I understand they are receptive and are working the issues now. Just personally for me, I didn?t want to put in a $2k wing/tail light only to have my transponder break and have to replace it.

I'm a mode C type, no WAAS GPS IFR source. IF my KT76 dies, I'd slide in on a perfect world a Garmin 320 with adapter.

UAT Out, no drop outs to worry about, that's the "In" device job, in my case a Skyradar DX feeding my GRT EFIS.

The Dallas Avionics rep at KOSH said the skybeacon/tailbeacon don't "sniff", but electronically sense the output through the wiring like some old ethernet schemes. I'm no engineer, if it works, great! The install manual calls out the possibility of needing ground run to the forest of tabs/main ground. I assume many of us have local grounds for nav lights.

Has anyone gotten a good PAPR test email or using the app gotten a good check with local grounds?

Which nav light is easier to add a home run main ground wire if needed- wingtip (Skybeacon) or rudder trailing edge (Tailbeacon)?

Uavionix used to have a rather large price gap making it a better deal. Their prices seem to keep creeping up as they release new products, making them less of a deal. In addition if you have an older transponder, you have to take into consideration if it quit working tomorrow. For me, I elected to replace a kt76 with a new solid state system from garmin.

The Appareo ES can be had for relatively cheap. Around us that?s $2200 from a dealer. Hard to beat. Same for some of the garmin systems with adsb out.

Sorry to take this off topic but I took the uavionix deal after the navworx fiasco. Thy were originally designed for UAV?s where I?m sure they excelled. However, after the fact we started figuring out it there were issues with dropping traffic. I understand they are receptive and are working the issues now. Just personally for me, I didn?t want to put in a $2k wing/tail light only to have my transponder break and have to replace it.

I think I might agree. I have an older Mode C so it may be better to just do a Appareo new install. Thanks to everyone for the response

Back