What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PIREP for KCEW

Julianshog

I'm New Here
The wife wants to fly to warmer temps for the weekend. We have friends in the Destin area so we could go there if it's better.

Last edited:
I guess I was hoping for less expense and less traffic. I am a low time pilot from an area with very little traffic and few restricted airspaces. I can do Destin, but was hoping the locals would chime in with suggestions.

Destin

Take a look at the online training course from FAA for Eglin VFR Corridor (link below). Destin just got a control tower within the last year but I'm not sure if they updated the Eglin course with that information.

Easy controllers to deal with at Eglin Approach and Destin Tower. I would use flight following way before you get to Eglin Airspace to make the hand-off smoother.

Put waypoints in your GPS for Field 2 and White Point to help verify them while flying in.

https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_content.aspx?cID=47&sID=281&preview=true

Andy

Flight Following

I guess I was hoping for less expense and less traffic. I am a low time pilot from an area with very little traffic and few restricted airspaces. I can do Destin, but was hoping the locals would chime in with suggestions.

If you don?t file IFR pick up flight following, they make it easy in the panhandle with all of the military traffic. KDTS is pretty easy to get into. Fees add up though if you don?t buy fuel. One of the few places that they were very up front about how they will charge you and what options you have to reduce fees.

I've had a lot of experience flying into DTS over a period of three decades and the last time I was there, I swore I'd never land there again. Dangerous with planes everywhere on left and right traffic, at the same time, people cutting under you. I had to go around 3 times before I had a safe landing situation. They hadn't opened the tower yet and I really hope that they have gotten a grip on things. Truly a tragedy waiting to happen and worse than any Oshkosh I've flown into.

Put aside the rising cost of fuel, nightly tiedowns, rental care rate rape, etc, what really put me off was the absolute chaos of the landing situation. Used to be they had two FBOs, now one company owns it all and the costs are outta sight ($6.69 for 100LL at this writing). Next time, I'm going to try Defuniak Springs (54J - $4.35/gal BTW).

I do not recommend Destin for a low time pilot used to flying in low pressure airspace. Either CEW or 54J would be my recommendation. If you decide to go into DTS and want to rent a car, do not rent it from the FBO. There is about a $30.00 drop off fee that's charged on top of the rental fee. Get an Uber over to the rental car office (5 mins away) and then spend the $30.00 at Dewey Destin for lunch!

KDTS notes

Traffic situation is much, much better and safer with the control tower operating at KDTS. I agree with Mark that it was really dangerous before.

Fuel - For just a couple of nights it is much cheaper to pay the tie down fee ($15 per night) and the facility fee ($15) than to buy the minimum fuel purchase of 15 gallons at their hefty fuel price. It should end up being $45 all in for a 2 night weekend. Plan your fuel stops so you arrive with enough to get back out and then some.

Enterprise is a short Uber ride away. If you have the extra time I believe they will pick you up and drop you off at no charge. A few weeks ago I was able to get a compact for about $35 per day.

KDTS is one of my favorite places to fly in and out (and incredible beach flying) but if you are not comfortable with towered airports and controlled airspace then KCEW is less crowded (I would still recommend flight following going into KCEW due to surrounding airspace).

Andy

If you do Destin expect them to route you field 2, White point, Destin. There are 2 FBOs there...both owned by the same guy that gouges. You?d be better off at crest view. There is a private grass strip called Ruckel that I believe has some members on here. If you could get one of them to give you permission to land it?s right near white point. However, it can be hectic getting in and out with all of the local traffic. The tower at Destin does help, but it can still get pretty busy down the corridor.

KDTS vs. 54J

I haven?t landed at kcew, but I?ve been going into KDTS for years and more recently DeFuniak Springs (54J).

54J is a typical small town airport, super nice guys. Easy drive to Destin and the beaches. Fuel and rental cars much cheaper than KDTS.

RV's don't hold enough fuel for the savings to justify landing 45mins to an hour away and then arranging for a car

I would land at KDTS and start enjoying your beach time sooner, tower is open now and get the fuel you need to waive the fees or top off and call the price difference a convenience fee (or whatever you need to do to justify it)

Landing at destin is much like landing on an island, in the sense that, any other way you get there is going to involve a bridge and some traffic- what is your time worth?

come on down and join us, the beer is cold and the seafood is fresh!

Back