What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

switch use on the stick

On my -4 I currrently have elevator trim, flaps, freq flip flop, radio channel memory select, PTT, and Xpndr Ident on my stick. I have the Ray Allen grip so fewer options.

I'm making some changes and here is how it will be set up soon:

PTT
Elevator Trim
Flaps (this is spring loaded toggle switch that must be held in postion to deploy or retract flaps - no set positions).
Autopilot Disconnect (instead of IDENT).
Autopilot Control Wheel Steering
Freq Flip Flop.

I'd elminate any radio controls but my comm radio is in a console between legs so I like to be able to change freqs without having to look down. In planned next upgrade Comm radio moves back to main panel and I wil elminate this from the stick.

Since I must take positive action and hold it in place to move the flaps I find having it on the stick to be convenient. Chance of accidental deployment is nil.

Now screwing up my radio frequencies does happen but if I eliminate the memory channel button the worst result is flip flopping from right frequency to wrong one which is easily remedied.

If I had aileron trilm I'd have it on the stick....

Ident on the stick is a waste.

Starter on the stick seems like it may make sense but I've hit all the buttons at the wrong time once or twice so I think I'll not go there.

I think a starter button located where I could with a bit of contortion engage it while keeping a hand on the throttle would be nice. Other hand holding full aft stick, etc to avoid Mel's nightmare scenario...

AP disconnect, radio flip flop, fuel pump? Well ok but again, it?s wiring and complexity. Smoke well just about, given the moments you might want it on.

It's worth noting that AP disconnect on the stick/wheel is basically a requirement for certified aircraft.

Part 23 (yes, I know Part 23 has been redone... )
?23.1329

Automatic pilot system.

If an automatic pilot system is installed, it must meet the following:
(a) Each system must be designed so that the automatic pilot can--
(1) Be quickly and positively disengaged by the pilots to prevent it from interfering with their control of the airplane; or
(2) Be sufficiently overpowered by one pilot to let him control the airplane.
(b) If the provisions of paragraph (a)(1) of this section are applied, the quick release (emergency) control must be located on the control wheel [(both control wheels if the airplane can be operated from either pilot seat)] on the side opposite the throttles, or on the stick control, (both stick controls, if the airplane can be operated from either pilot seat) such that it can be operated without moving the hand from its normal position on the control.

Part 25:
?25.1329 Flight guidance system.

(a) Quick disengagement controls for the autopilot and autothrust functions must be provided for each pilot. The autopilot quick disengagement controls must be located on both control wheels (or equivalent). The autothrust quick disengagement controls must be located on the thrust control levers. Quick disengagement controls must be readily accessible to each pilot while operating the control wheel (or equivalent) and thrust control levers.

Yes, I know that our homebuilts aren't bound by either set of regulations. Yes, we can meet the "be sufficiently overpowered" clause. But IMO, there's a pretty good reason these regs are there.

In my opinion, when on the ground, in a taildragger, the stick should be held back at all times unless you are doing a control check or ready to raise the tail on take-off.

Agreed. One more exception to add: when needing to unlock the tailwheel (by moving the stick full-forward) on a P-51 or similarly equipped T-6 in order to go full-swivel for a tight turn.

Agreed. One more exception to add: when needing to unlock the tailwheel (by moving the stick full-forward) on a P-51 or similarly equipped T-6 in order to go full-swivel for a tight turn.

Of course there are exceptions for everything.

Did somebody say opinions? Well alrighty then.

Aside from the "old standards" of PTT and trim:

My favorite: Flaps

Second Favorite: Starter; Love it on the stick with a panel-mounted "arm" switch. It is only armed when mags are turned on and is unarmed after engine start.

Third favorite: CW Steering

Final favorite: Fuel Pump with annunciation light on panel

And my "never": Ident. No go reason for it and I have flown an RV-8 with it on the stick and that just caused problems all the time.

Jim

ATC is going to love the next guy to fly your 8 when he wants a bit of right roll trim :D

Truthfully, I haven't thought about what the next owner might like or dislike. lt would be simple enough to deactivate those two functions if a new owner didn't like them, or re-purpose them for something else.

Until I started reading this thread I hadn't planned to use the China Hat L-R functions. I'm still thinking about it, and may change my mind again.

Dan, can you elaborate on the importance of holding the still full back? I don't have much experience in a tail wheel aircraft aside from my spin training in a Decathlon. I don't remember that being part of the start sequence. The majority of my time was in 172's and Warriors with a smattering of Mooney and Cirrus.

Is this something specific for a tail dragger?

I'm not Dan, but I'll answer that. There is always a chance that the engine could start at full throttle. It could be a broken throttle cable, a flooded engine, etc. Regardless of the reason, if the stick is not held full back, you could very easily experience a prop strike. In my opinion, when on the ground, in a taildragger, the stick should be held back at all times unless you are doing a control check or ready to raise the tail on take-off.

I'm not Dan either but I did shake his hand once.

I will add that I learned in Cessnas and was taught to hold the yoke back ALL the time, unless taxiing downwind. It is just good form.

Interesting thread.

What about onbthe simple side of things.

I have teak grips with the PTT on the top.

If I were to add an autopilot button, should it go in the trigger position, panel, should the PTT be moved and the AP button installed on top?

Suggestions please.

Why?

The right stick will retain the PTT on top.

Because I find it easier to just "squeeze" my finger to activate PTT than to press my thumb down. It's just more comfortable for me.

I never fly from the right, so that's not really of much concern for me :) (plus, there's only one button on that stick anyway, whereas the pilot's stick has quite a few functions...trim, A/P, smoke, PTT).

TOGA GMC vs GTN

Michael,

did you find out whether it's enough to wire the TOGA input into the GMC507 or does the GTN need a dedicated input?

You are correct in that it goes to the GMC 507. And that is what I intended by G3X. I think of the whole system as a the "G3X". I still think the GTN needs it's own TO/GA input. Happy to be corrected.

Thanks,

did you find out whether it's enough to wire the TOGA input into the GMC507 or does the GTN need a dedicated input?

They both need TOGA:
On the G3X, TOGA takes the autopilot to pre-programmed pitch up and wings level;
On the GTN, TOGA activates the missed approach procedure for guidance;
The pilot still has to reconnect the autopilot to the GTN on a missed approach.

On my RV-9A with a fixed pitch prop, if I'm slowed to final approach speed and go to full throttle and TOGA, the plane gets as slow as the autopilot programming will let it. This means that an autopilot go around at minimums would be interesting. However, following the lead of a jet test pilot friends, I try to avoid flying where ceilings are less than a thousand, just in case the engine poops out, so that means that I don't ever plan to fly an approach to minimums in IMC. The key phrase here is that I don't *plan* to, but I still need to know how to do it reliably. I go through the TOGA drill on every approach, and I always engage the autopilot on every takeoff, just for practice, even on a VFR flight. If I had a constant speed on the RV-9A and better acceleration, TOGA acceleration might not be as much of a factor.

TOGA GMC507

As the GMC507 is connected via CAN Bus to G3X, no dedicated/discrete input is needed for the G3X. The question is if the G3X can trigger the Missed Approach Proc on the GTN remotely..

As the GMC507 is connected via CAN Bus to G3X, no dedicated/discrete input is needed for the G3X. The question is if the G3X can trigger the Missed Approach Proc on the GTN remotely..

Here is the answer to my question.. :D
Let me know if the image is not displayed.

HLTKNgmLovfKLgXkE_dUI-TQzRKtdV3enOD3XUoK46AQVPnzQKFEuIB6nOWurY9bQC0AVUOORySxw5-SmirFkZcESE8ZAcQcSVLXXRs9p8U1YI231eGSxB2ZTsq0mz1A7JqqqMfI0KbmjU6xQ67SrXa9WGh8Nc86laMO1ad0hZE4Glss7yJr3WXpmOUBtP7KPpXAI4skPEoZMPLNutS3FJVfTK9r89RgHDe456pE9tQ3GXNQqXAYmVmLgtYUnSLGtveqoqHBW0Mvlzvqph_Nizj2j3otBqT8YwAprmWi1wXisSdmo8B-rPEw6_d5jn0zir9ykpdetia0Tq0EkCmXI_YecCLgEEDXsDOPww0I9srID0GHP-rVKAFPYXqznKtKod4hkDGjbPZLVXEYDj_RGiFeW3aKbvJwC-p8ZYm_jeFB5nFh4kXwhSPeVpdaKZZSl-Sq2bs9ftKxMCWZTz7HbqBBtF2TZBvyaBnp2UGcUxqJj0pWYdJDzlg9238nB011MXj-To2KCoiDp6AuU5qq4VpfS-eiyxM1pyyL20UU83n-iNgMr_jsjABks_lZden6HKlzLHxQIcCgOP7HsANoXdTsvNXtirIyVawIM5UxRy2AWVCNhNDsmeG2YO_1z0a14VoSgpXzC6XaUUk20Jc2ozy92nwX0j1kcdOKuXE071gpAUW1FcmKOhV6QfADOWMbgG02kWTa8nT64Vxy8Q=w448-h509-no

Back