What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (March 1, 2016) Garmin aera 660 Portable GPS

To Garmin Expert Steve:

Can you compare the features and functionality of this product vs the iOS version of Garmin Pilot? I understand it has much better daylight visibility, and should be less susceptible to overheating. For instance, does it offer lateral guidance for instument approaches?

Thanks!

To Garmin Expert Steve:

Can you compare the features and functionality of this product vs the iOS version of Garmin Pilot? I understand it has much better daylight visibility, and should be less susceptible to overheating. For instance, does it offer lateral guidance for instument approaches?

Thanks!

Hello Steve,

Our team develops and uses G3X systems and portable GPS units, and we aren't very knowledgeable about Garmin Pilot, but we can tell you that unlike phones and tablets, the aera 660 is specifically developed and tested to operate well in the bright and sometimes hot conditions found in aircraft. Just as important is the built-in ability to integrate with aircraft systems like audio panels, autopilots, and radios which tablets and phones also do not.

The U.S. VFR navigation database that was previously offered in the most affordable database bundles did not include instrument approaches, so it was not possible to load an approach when using that navigation database.

The new Garmin Navigation Database offered in U.S. and North American database bundles for the aera 660 DOES include instrument approaches, so you may load and activate an approach (FAF to runway end) and follow the lateral guidance. This is, of course, not an IFR navigator.

As shown in the images in the first posting, VNAV vertical guidance is also provided by the aera 660 and both lateral and vertical guidance is output on the serial port if your aircraft has an autopilot that follows this guidance.

Thanks,
Steve

Thank you so much for your quick response, but I have one more question regarding the VNAV guidance. On my Aera 510, the VNAV feature only worked between crusing altitude and the pattern altitude. Just so I'm clear, or you saying that VNAV is now available during the approach, similar to a certified unit on an LPV approach? I understand this unit is not IFR certified, but vertical guidance is a wonderful enhancement to situational awareness.

Thank you so much for your quick response, but I have one more question regarding the VNAV guidance. On my Aera 510, the VNAV feature only worked between crusing altitude and the pattern altitude. Just so I'm clear, or you saying that VNAV is now available during the approach, similar to a certified unit on an LPV approach? I understand this unit is not IFR certified, but vertical guidance is a wonderful enhancement to situational awareness.

Hello Steve,

No, none of our non-certified navigation products provide vertical guidance or vertical mode autopilot coupling for instrument approaches.

Thanks,
Steve

Aera 660 & Garmin Pilot App

Steve,

I realize the Garmin Pilot App is separate from the Aera 660 data. If I did plunk down the bucks for the 660 with the $149 yearly data update package and a GDL 39 3D then why wouldn't I be entitled to the data updates for the Garmin Pilot App. It would be easy enough to have to use an access code only available if the 660 is purchased.

That way I have a compatible format for preflight planning on my IPAD when not at the airplane and a backup in the airplane. Would the Garmin Pilot App be able to send the flight plan data to the 660? If not, can the 660 be removed from the airplane and do the flight planning somewhere else on battery power?

Another poster asked a question that was not answered about using WIFI to enable the GDL 39 3D attitude into the 660.

Oly

Steve,

I realize the Garmin Pilot App is separate from the Aera 660 data. If I did plunk down the bucks for the 660 with the $149 yearly data update package and a GDL 39 3D then why wouldn't I be entitled to the data updates for the Garmin Pilot App. It would be easy enough to have to use an access code only available if the 660 is purchased.

That way I have a compatible format for preflight planning on my IPAD when not at the airplane and a backup in the airplane. Would the Garmin Pilot App be able to send the flight plan data to the 660? If not, can the 660 be removed from the airplane and do the flight planning somewhere else on battery power?

Another poster asked a question that was not answered about using WIFI to enable the GDL 39 3D attitude into the 660.

Oly

Hello Oly,

We appreciate your comments and input on shared databases.

Yes, as described above and on the other thread we are discussing with you, the aera 660 is expected to be snapped in/out of the powered mount so you can take it home, plug it in using the provided AC adapter (mini USB), update databases over WiFi and generally use for flight planning and maintaining a catalog of flight plans both in and out of the plane. No need for any interface with an iPad.

The aera 660 supports an interface to a GDL 39 3D using either a highly reliable RS-232 connection, or Bluetooth.

Thanks,
Steve

XRX AND GDL-39 3D ?

Hello,

Can you use the Zaon XRX for traffic on one serial port and the GDL 39 3D for traffic and weather on the second serial port, simultaneously?

Alternatively, can you use the XRX on one serial port, the GDL on Bluetooth while using the second serial port to interface to the Insight G-2 Engine monitor ?

If so, in the above example, can the GDL pair and communicate with both the 660 and an i pad running Garmin pilot?

Will the "possibly to come" XM option be hard wired to a serial port or wireless via wifi, Bluetooth, etc? Will it support weather only or music too?

Is the physical packaging identical to the 560, and will it fit the 560 air gizmo dock?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello n5ff,

Thank you for your interest.

Can you use the Zaon XRX for traffic on one serial port and the GDL 39 3D for traffic and weather on the second serial port, simultaneously?
Yes, the aera 660 will support simultaneous connection of both TIS-A and ADS-B traffic sources and will automatically prioritize and display the best traffic source and identify which source is being used. One caveat. The XRX mimics a real TIS-A traffic source, but unlike a real TIS-A receiver, it constantly reports it is receiving traffic, so will be prioritized above the ADS-B traffic except when TIS-B services are being received. You may always turn off the XRX if you wish the excellent ADS-B traffic from the dual frequency GDL39 to be displayed full time.

Alternatively, can you use the XRX on one serial port, the GDL on Bluetooth while using the second serial port to interface to the Insight G-2 Engine monitor?
Yes, the GDL39 may also be connected via the Bluetooth interface, but we always recommend a wired interface for something as important as traffic and weather when possible. Not sure what the Insight is needing, but if something like NMEA data, this should also work. You may configure a single serial port for "TIS-A In/NMEA & VHF Out", so you might be able to connect both the XRX and Insight to one of the two serial ports leaving the remaining serial port for the high value GDL39 traffic and weather.

If so, in the above example, can the GDL pair and communicate with both the 660 and an ipad running Garmin pilot?
Yes

Will the "possibly to come" XM option be hard wired to a serial port or wireless via wifi, Bluetooth, etc? Will it support weather only or music too?
We are not sharing details yet, but both wired and wireless interfaces supporting both music and weather are possible features.

Is the physical packaging identical to the 560, and will it fit the 560 air gizmo dock?
Please see posting 11 above.

Thanks,
Steve

Will the 660 be able to connect with the Stratux ADS-B receiver?

Hello Garrie,

The aera 660 works with the Garmin GDL 39, GDL 39 3D, GDL 39R, and GTX 345 dual frequency ADS-B traffic and weather receivers. It will also connect with a Flight Stream 110/210 and provide traffic and weather from that connection if this data is available.

Thanks,
Steve

Panel Page?

Steve:
I currently have a 396 that I use for backup/support in a fairly spartan IFR setup. Currently, beyond my attitude instruments, I have a turn coordinator and whisky compass as backups. Having the panel page on the 396 is another plus. Can I get internal GPS driven attitude information off of the 660, or does it require an outside source? Is there a "panel" screen?
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

aera 660 "Panel Page"

Steve:
I currently have a 396 that I use for backup/support in a fairly spartan IFR setup. Currently, beyond my attitude instruments, I have a turn coordinator and whisky compass as backups. Having the panel page on the 396 is another plus. Can I get internal GPS driven attitude information off of the 660, or does it require an outside source? Is there a "panel" screen?
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Hello Terry,

The aera 660 and aera 796 have the "modern" version of the panel page which is the 3D Vision page.

You have the choice of either tapes (like shown in first posting) or round gauges (like shown below).

3DVisionRoundGaugesNoAttitudeLandscape.jpg

If you don't have attitude data coming from an external source like a GTX 345, FS 110/210, or GDL 39 3D, the aera 660 displays "No Attitude Information" to remind you of that, but uses the GPS data to show the plane level, turning, etc to simulate some of this information.

Thanks for your interest,
Steve

I put my order in for an area 660 on Monday, it is scheduled to ship before the end of the month. I will be pairing it with a GTX 345 which will be replacing my existing -327 txponder.

c177tx said:
Will the 660 be able to connect with the Stratux ADS-B receiver?
The aera 660 works with the Garmin GDL 39, GDL 39 3D, GDL 39R, and GTX 345 dual frequency ADS-B traffic and weather receivers. It will also connect with a Flight Stream 110/210 and provide traffic and weather from that connection if this data is available.
Is the communication protocol looking specifically for one of the "approved" units listed, and *won't* work with anything else, or is this just a case of nobody having tried using it with a Stratux?

The Stratux being what it is, I suspect the developers working on it could tweak the data stream to work with the 660 if they knew what was needed.

Steve,

Hopefully I didn't miss this in other responses. This also may be more of a GTX-345 question.

Does the 660 when paired with a GTX-345 and a GTN-650 allow for flight plan transfer similar to what happens with a flightstream? Or does that combination still require a flightstream to allow bidirectional flight plan transfer?

Thanks,
Jeff

Steve,

Hopefully I didn't miss this in other responses. This also may be more of a GTX-345 question.

Does the 660 when paired with a GTX-345 and a GTN-650 allow for flight plan transfer similar to what happens with a flightstream? Or does that combination still require a flightstream to allow bidirectional flight plan transfer?

Thanks,
Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Yes, there is quite a bit of overlap between the GTX 345 and aera 660 threads and this is fine. They are complementary products.

First, the GTX 345 transponder doesn't perform the function of a Flight Stream 210 to support flight plan transfer to a GTN 650. A similar question for the GNS 430W was answered here, and the answer is the same for the GTN 6XX/7XX.

Secondly, the aera 660 doesn't presently support bi-directional flight plan transfer to a GNS/GTN using a FS 210, but it is a feature we are presently adding.

Thank you for your interest,
Steve

Aera 660 serve as non-TSO'd WAAS position source?

I have a dual screen G3X system (GDU 370,375) and a GTX 330 (non ES) transponder in an S-LSA (soon to be converted to an E-LSA).

As I consider the various ways I can add ADS-B IN and OUT, could the "SBAS/WAAS/GLONASS receiver: high-sensitivity with WAAS position accuracy" in the new Aera 660 serve as a non-TSO'd WAAS position source like the GPS 20A?

I see that the area 660 Pilots Guide is now on the Garmin web site. Very well done and it answered all of my technical questions...in addition to the ones the EXPERTS answered.

I have a dual screen G3X system (GDU 370,375) and a GTX 330 (non ES) transponder in an S-LSA (soon to be converted to an E-LSA).

As I consider the various ways I can add ADS-B IN and OUT, could the "SBAS/WAAS/GLONASS receiver: high-sensitivity with WAAS position accuracy" in the new Aera 660 serve as a non-TSO'd WAAS position source like the GPS 20A?

Hello jcwCT,

While highly accurate, the receiver in the area 660 doesn't meet the strict requirements for FAR 91.227 compliance.

The heart of the GPS 20A is an IFR quality WAAS GPS receiver that does meet all of these requirements including performance, design assurance, and highly advanced satellite fault detection and exclusion.

Thanks,
Steve

Sorry, no idea, but the aera 660 5.1" diagonal display is quite a bit larger than the 4.3" in the aera 5XX.

The outside dimensions of the aera 660 are 5.5" wide x 3.4" tall if you want to check that against your mount.

Thanks,
Steve
Sounds like the outside dimensions of the 660 are only marginally larger than the 500 series. The 500 has a pretty chunky bezel so perhaps improved design here accounts for the much bigger display with limited physical size increase.

I was disappointed with my 550 and actually navigate by iPad as a result. The touchscreen is temperamental and the sunlight readability was much worse than I expected, which is a problem living Down Under where we sometimes have to Google "cloud" to remind ourselves what it is. Sounds like you guys may just have pulled a rabbit out of your hat here and made some substantial improvements, and I'm very interested in an upgrade! ;)

Battery life

I have a aera 510. The battery life was cery short. How is the battery life of the 660 when compare to the aera 510. ?

I have a aera 510. The battery life was cery short. How is the battery life of the 660 when compare to the aera 510. ?

Hello,

The aera 660 web page provides this information under battery specs:

Battery life: Up to 4 hours during most daytime conditions, (80% backlight) and wireless connectivity in the cockpit, e.g. GTX 345; up to 6 hours during typical nighttime conditions, (5% backlight) and without wireless connectivity.

The aera 660 has a quick release battery compartment door, and at $29.99 list, the battery is pretty affordable to replace when it gets old and the capacity is reduced.

cf-lg.jpg

There is also a drop-in battery charger available for $24.99 that makes it easy to keep a second pack charged if you wish to take a backup.

Attaching a powered mount to your instrument panel takes care of all battery concerns.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve (g3xpert),

Thank you so much for answering all the questions. It's much appreciated. I have one more, and some input as well.

Is there any chance Garmin might consider offering the 660 without the yoke mount in the box? You're dealing with people here who fly RV's after all, and a yoke mount is likely to just sit in the box on a shelf, collecting dust. It looks like a spendy accessory that isn't really needed by most of us, and if you could offer the 660 without the yoke mount at a lower price, I'm sure Garmin would score some points!

Why not give us the option to get these things ala carte?

Steve (g3xpert),

Thank you so much for answering all the questions. It's much appreciated. I have one more, and some input as well.

Is there any chance Garmin might consider offering the 660 without the yoke mount in the box? You're dealing with people here who fly RV's after all, and a yoke mount is likely to just sit in the box on a shelf, collecting dust. It looks like a spendy accessory that isn't really needed by most of us, and if you could offer the 660 without the yoke mount at a lower price, I'm sure Garmin would score some points!

Why not give us the option to get these things ala carte?

Hello Bruce,

You are very welcome. This is a very good question and one that we struggle with every time we develop a new portable GPS navigator and have to decide what we put "in-the-box".

Like you, many favor the ala carte model where most of the accessories are not included with the base unit while other customers and dealers feel that the out-of-the-box experience should include a powered mount with a cigarette lighter adapter (CLA) so you could buy a unit at a show and fly home with it plugged in and charging the battery even if you couldn't use the yoke mount to which the powered mount is attached.

The last new model we introduced, the aera 795/796, had a large and impressive collection of accessories in the box including a home dock which could be used to hold the unit and charge the battery when out of the plane. The feedback for all of these included accessories was generally quite positive, but we were targeting a much lower entry price for the aera 660 and knew we had to limit the included accessories.

One of the accessories we offer for the aera 660 is a metal home dock stand.

u5nF0BvBTMBAnMj3yqWQlLzsndD1dsOnwtqrwDN1JmV4ho9T2ltb3lGJw6xD8KyiDDprF0T0xBcMpcBHveg3XMYenjcikIn7dAjP1ulKAOio8_ct45gdopW1pj6oRcei1UItsEZdRDa5XgFb040YIuQc-vihVrl_6KY3pmMLZ9MVDaHP9T67-AJreiSWwSFJjFAXiWCbVkfeIhmkVQ08_A0c3dPLPB7_QqLWYlA6Yu3H1w-a1WiT5dJBE8mK5-oG1LhfzUUrctKKlq0Y1-4Yii40lAzRVaGYPJUAS0meUFONxYs9JGTHGAepcLzca4eKXMJR4wP5IG5N4CM6Zp9p_ZBQ-ThCRjsp2M8VY07r1yh5VSBxp_Wlm5W_OwfZeS2gKsQswY7Ya3LFLhUy_L8hojC377GnymxGAl3L_40R3Gc5FmRKVHAGGYoVBcIKJwwIDromiBTXQYpaK-y_e8sC3GrBI97pwolnpBaX0zlDFHbNdsuKjeqSEaG8_ZoVFR9NMnJLb66IhpGrxHIRQMaKioKfhS1m2fsivpdA9S9CQ-ecojeziGcPKscq2Cu_2wut9VjIHut6GddV3QOP_PovZnRldn5_w7pZUAtXPhWG371zGwPoOXfK=w620-h754-no

We offer this home dock without the powered mount so our EAB customers who don't use the yoke mount could buy this bare base, remove the 4 screws that hold the powered mount to the yoke mount (that comes with the aera 660), attach it to the home dock base, plug it into a CLA power adapter and have a nice home dock to both charge the unit when out of the plane and power the unit when WiFi database updates are being performed. I have assembled one of these home docks for my aera 660 and love it.

One additional suggestion regarding the supplied powered mount/yoke mount. You may remove the powered mount from the yoke mount, attach a RAM ball (same hole pattern), and use lots of flexible mounting options offered by that mounting system.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Steve,

I've read through this entire thread, and maybe I've missed it, but would you please explain again on how the 660 would be mounted in the panel if replacing a 496 that is mounted with an air-gizmo. I know you can't speak for another company such as air-gizmo, but do you know of any panel mount options that may be available or that are coming available? Is the footprint of the 660 the same size as the cutout that I currently have in my panel which now houses the 496? On one of your previous post in this thread I saw a picture of an external mount for the 660....so in assuming that I'd have to make a plate to cover my existing cutout and then mount that external mount to the new plate...is this correct?

Thanks,
Mark

Steve,

I've read through this entire thread, and maybe I've missed it, but would you please explain again on how the 660 would be mounted in the panel if replacing a 496 that is mounted with an air-gizmo. I know you can't speak for another company such as air-gizmo, but do you know of any panel mount options that may be available or that are coming available? Is the footprint of the 660 the same size as the cutout that I currently have in my panel which now houses the 496? On one of your previous post in this thread I saw a picture of an external mount for the 660....so in assuming that I'd have to make a plate to cover my existing cutout and then mount that external mount to the new plate...is this correct?

Thanks,
Mark

Hello Mark,

As shown below, the aera 660 outside dimensions are similar to a 496, but it is significantly thinner. As others have commented, the aera 660 display is also significantly larger and higher resolution than a 496 without taking up more panel space.

GPSMAP 496 outside dimensions: 5.7"W x 3.2"H x 1.9"D
aera 660 outside dimensions: 5.5?W x 3.4?H x 0.8?D

It appears that the hole for an A.G. mount might be as large as 6.25" x 4.25" (flush mounted) with an extra cutout for the release tab on the side.

Since your existing panel hole is larger than the footprint of an aera 660, you could certainly build and install a cover for that hole and surface mount a bare wire mount with 4 screws (drill/tap #6-32 or use nuts).

Surface mounting the aera 660 with a bare wire mount has a couple of advantages over an A.G. mount:
  1. Lower cost than buying something that mounts in the panel.
  2. Less panel space is consumed since the A.G. mount always extends beyond the edge of the portable it is mounting.
  3. Cooling is better since air can circulate around the unit. We have seen many over-heated battery packs in portables that were mounted inside of an enclosure like this.
  4. Easier to insert and remove. You can easily reach a finger around the side of the unit to quickly push the release button on the bare wire mount if you surface mount the unit. Don't forget that you are likely to want to take this unit home with you after each flight to use WiFi to do things like download the latest fuel prices that are updated daily.
  5. Better GPS reception. The aera 660 has a built-in GPS antenna that is more likely to work fine without an external antenna if the unit is surface mounted on the instrument panel.
Also, don't forget that you can also mount the aera 660 in either portrait or landscape orientations. Many of us prefer a portrait orientation (as shown in the first posting) since there is more area shown forward of the plane in track up operation and you can see your destination airport on the map sooner at the same zoom range.

Thanks for your interest,
Steve

Do you know/except vendors to have it for sale at AERO Friedrichshafen on April 20-23?

I have stayed away from devices like this until now because of the enormous update fees. Not that I am happy about 299/year but it is much better that before and this device looks fantastic!

Hello Control,

Thank you for your interest in the aera 660. We understand that at least one Garmin dealer (SkyFox) will have inventory to sell at AERO.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

I just realized that nowhere in this thread does anyone mention the automotive side of the Aera 660. I pop my 500 out of my panel at the end of the day, and use it in my car. That keeps it charged and gives me a nav while driving. The Garmin portable page still says "transition easily from flying to driving with Aera," has this feature been dropped?

Steve,

I just realized that nowhere in this thread does anyone mention the automotive side of the Aera 660. I pop my 500 out of my panel at the end of the day, and use it in my car. That keeps it charged and gives me a nav while driving. The Garmin portable page still says "transition easily from flying to driving with Aera," has this feature been dropped?

Hello Rob,

Like the GPSMAP 695/696 and aera 795/796, the aera 660 is specifically designed to be an aviation navigator and doesn't share any hardware/software with Garmin automotive navigators (no automotive mode).

Thanks for pointing out the error on the website.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Mark,
As shown below,..........
Steve

Thanks Steve,

Just as soon as the 660 is XM (music and WX) capable, I'll do the upgrade from my 496 to the 660. Please keep us updated on the future XM capabilities.

Thanks again,
Mark

Like the GPSMAP 695/696 and aera 795/796, the aera 660 is specifically designed to be an aviation navigator and doesn't share any hardware/software with Garmin automotive navigators (no automotive mode).
Drat. I'll have to factor in the cost of an automotive Garmin for my car then. On the plus side, I won't have to worry about forgetting my aviation GPS in the car when I ride the bicycle to the airport... :)

Hello Rob,

Thanks for pointing out the error on the website.

Thanks,
Steve

Bummer. One of the features I love about my Aero 560 is the ability to use it as a backup when flying on trips, then switch to automotive mode for use in the rental car. I suppose this isn't too big of a deal nowadays with GPS available in every smartphone, but still it's a feature I'll miss.

Bundle question.

Does the $149 annual sub include ALL the obstacle stuff, including the heli/powerline?

Last edited:
Bundle question.

Does the $149 annual sub include ALL the obstacle stuff, including the heli/powerline?

Hello Bugs66,

Good question.

We tried to make this clear in the press release, but realize there was a lot said there:

The standard obstacle database contains Hazardous Obstacle Transmission (HOT) lines, which typically include those that span rivers, canyons, valleys or those that are within the vicinity of airports. Obstacle databases with comprehensive power line coverage and HOT lines are also available for the U.S. and portions of Canada and Mexico.

You can see the pricing for adding the "Obstacle database with comprehensive power line coverage" on the database pricing web page. It is called "US/Canada/Europe (Heli with US Power Lines)".

Fixed wing pilots should do just fine with the Hazardous Obstacle Transmission Lines provided in the standard bundle, but helicopter pilots might like the significantly expanded powerline coverage provided by that optional add on database.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Hello Bugs66,

.... Fixed wing pilots should do just fine with the Hazardous Obstacle Transmission Lines provided in the standard bundle, but helicopter pilots might like the significantly expanded powerline coverage provided by that optional add on database....

If you fly Cubs you are down low with the helos sometimes. ;) Thanks

Using the new Garmin with a GDL39

Hello,

If I purchased this unit I would like to use it with my GDL39.
My 39 IS NOT the 3D version.

Can I use a standard 39, and what features will I not be able to display?

thanks.

Hello,

If I purchased this unit I would like to use it with my GDL39.
My 39 IS NOT the 3D version.

Can I use a standard 39, and what features will I not be able to display?

thanks.

Hello Jeff,

Yes, you may certainly use a standard GDL 39 with the aera 660 over either hardwire or Bluetooth.

The pitch/roll and slip/skid attitude information is only used on the 3D Vision page.

If you don't have attitude data it shows a perspective view of an aircraft and uses GPS data to show nose up/down and roll left/right. If you have attitude data, it removes the aircraft and shows the pitch/roll and slip/skid similar to a primary flight display.

There are images in the posts above which show both examples.

Thanks,
Steve

Database bundles

The difference between the 796 and 660 lite database bundles seems to be US VFR Navigation versus Garmin Navigation and Terrain versus Terrain (9AS), does anyone know what this actually means for the extra $150 on the 796?

Database $$

''does anyone know what this actually means for the extra $150 on the 796?''

No but I sure would like to know why$$

Thanks for posting this

Bruno

ADSB input

I didn't see this specifically addressed in the previous posts, will the Aera 660 accept ADSB traffic inputs from the FreeFlight Systems Ranger?

I didn't see this specifically addressed in the previous posts, will the Aera 660 accept ADSB traffic inputs from the FreeFlight Systems Ranger?

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your interest in the aera 660.

As shown on page 140 of the Rev. A aera 660 Pilot Guide, the 660 supports a "GTX TIS-A In" RS-232 traffic format, which is commonly supported by third party traffic devices. Sorry, but we don't know if this particular traffic device supports this format.

Not sure if that is a dual frequency (978/1090 Mhz) traffic receiver, but really great GDL 39 dual frequency traffic and weather receivers that are fully compatible with the aera 660 (hardwire and wireless) are quite reasonable. Here is one example.

Thanks,
Steve

SnF pickup

Anyone know if this will be for sale at SnF. I will be there and if it fits were the 496 sits I will most likely upgrade.

I know they don't start delivery according to ACS until the 31 st

Cheers

g3xpert,
Does the 660 work with the GDL 39R? Why does the GDL 39R have two BNC connectors?

Hello Joe,

Yes, any Garmin device that works with a GDL 39 will also work with a GDL 39R, and vice versa. The two different versions differ only in mounting method and connector type.

The GDL 39R has one BNC connector for an ADS-B antenna, and one for a GPS antenna; the latter would not be used if an aera 660 is present to provide GPS position.

- Matt

Question on the flightcharts..

Does this mean it comes with IFR charts for all the south american countries...specifically Chile? Without having tested the product I always suspect sometimes that its more orientated to the us market....and then you get disappointed that it doesn't have them.

Thanks

"Americas Database Bundle $299.95/yr ($25.00/mo)
Includes the following 7 databases covering North and South America (see details on FlyGarmin), updated as often as you like:
Jeppesen Navigation Data (airports, runways, frequencies, approaches)
Obstacles (e.g. towers - used to provide obstacle visual and aural alerting including obstacle depiction in synthetic vision)
Terrain (used to render synthetic vision and provide terrain alerting)
FliteCharts (Geo-referenced IFR approach plates, airport diagrams, arrival and departure procedures)
SafeTaxi (airport diagrams integrated into moving map that are displayed and zoomed automatically when you need them for taxi and landing)
Airport Directory (FBOs, runways, hours of operation, rental cars, etc)
IFR/VFR Charts (VFR sectionals and IFR Hi/Lo charts)"

Difference between 796 and 660

What would be the major differences between these units, the 796 is about double in price? Thank you

Does this mean it comes with IFR charts for all the south american countries...specifically Chile? Without having tested the product I always suspect sometimes that its more orientated to the us market....and then you get disappointed that it doesn't have them.

Thanks

Hello Semperfubar,

Sorry, but FliteCharts and the IFR/VFR charts in the Americas database bundle does not cover Chile.

We can give you details on the coverage for Chile if you would like to email us at the address shown below.

Thank you for your interest,
Steve

What would be the major differences between these units, the 796 is about double in price? Thank you

Hello Semperfubar,

The 796 has a 7" display and the 660 has a 5". Probably best to visit the web pages for each, review the specifications, and even download the Pilot Guides.

aera 660

aera 796

Thanks,
Steve

Back