Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-02-2019, 08:59 PM

Default I-320 H2AD mixture, idle, EGT

Hello,

Back again with the never ending learning from all you fine folk. This time on an O-320 H2AD.

1. High EGTís: #3 and #4 run high EGTís. Anywhere below 5K with full rich mixture those two EGTs are in the mid 1400ís. #1 and #2 are normal to low. CHTís look fine on all 4 with no major variation. As opposed to my O-360 where if I lean, I can go pretty far back with an associated rise in RMP as it peaks even at sea level, on this one it almost seems like itís already at peak and I canít get a rise in EGT if I lean at low altitudes. This is the same for on the ground. No rise in RMP at all when leaning. Mixture arm goes full deflection both ways. If I cut off either the mag or EI in flight the EGTís will fly past 1500.

2. Reference above: inability to peak with leaning at low altitudes or on deck. (Ie. seems to be operating near a peak) Though it wonít get rough till about 1/3 of the mixture pulled out. Just no rise.

3. High IDLE. Will idle around 880 +/-20. Throttle goes full deflection and adjusted the idle speed screw to make sure the throttle had full throw and it did. Do I mess with the idle mixture screw? If so how? What else?

This is running on 1 mag and 1 EI. Runs smooth on both. Wooden prop.

Thanks for the help and insight!

Cheers!

Charles
Old 01-02-2019, 11:39 PM

Sounds like an intake air leak. Check hoses and gaskets for intake tubes as well as primer lines (if installed) and primer port plugs. With that high of an idle you may have trouble slowing it down to land.
Greg RV9A EFII 0-320-H2AD
Old 01-03-2019, 09:33 AM

Agreed. Sounds like the all too common leaking tubes. Pick up the kit from SDS to fix the problem once and for all.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=161030
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 01-03-2019, 10:38 PM

Default Wilco

OK, I'll try the kit!

Thanks

Charles
Old 01-11-2019, 07:57 PM

Default What aircraft, carb and exhaust, please?

A list of the other equipment would help. Thanks.
2011-2019 VAF contributor