VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > California
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-07-2019, 07:51 PM
isosceles isosceles is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Fremont
Posts: 14
Default Airport collecting info on the airplanes based on the field

The airport ops sent out the form to fill about the airplanes people keep on the field. It says they have to provide the list of aircraft to the county assessor. It contains very basis question about the make and model, engine type and model and that's pretty much it. It does not even ask if it's a homebuilt, number of seats, etc. Is there a benefit in filling in the form or it's easier to ignore the request; my airplane are on the hangar rental paperwork so they will send the info to the county anyway?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-07-2019, 08:39 PM
Ted RV8 Ted RV8 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 280
Default

Chances are you’re going to get it from the county either way.
The form they send you will ask all the pertinent questions.
Which airport did this? Looks like you’re in Fremont. Was it Hayward, Livermore, Palo Alto, Reid Hillveiw, San Carlos, Byron or Oakland?

Last edited by Ted RV8 : 01-07-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-08-2019, 01:03 AM
isosceles isosceles is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Fremont
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted RV8 View Post
Chances are youíre going to get it from the county either way.
The form they send you will ask all the pertinent questions.
Which airport did this? Looks like youíre in Fremont. Was it Hayward, Livermore, Palo Alto, Reid Hillveiw, San Carlos, Byron or Oakland?
Byron. Sure they will get the info since the airplane is listed on the hangar rental agreement. I was wondering if a more favorable valuation is possible if I fill that form in...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:50 AM
Ted RV8 Ted RV8 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 280
Default

Byron is Contra Costa County. Havenít personally dealt with Contra Costa. Could do a preemptive and go to the assessors office and get the form to prepare. Not completely sure but the forms seem to be pretty much the same from the few different counties Iíve been in.

If you built your airplane versus purchased will reflect the valuation. Built should use kit prices, purchased should use purchased price. If valuation seems off you can always contest it with facts to get it lowered.

Counties get information from FAA records on ownership also. Since you live in Fremont youíll probably get an inquiry from Alameda County too.

The county that the plane resides in gets the personal property tax on the plane.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-08-2019, 09:11 AM
az_gila's Avatar
az_gila az_gila is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 57AZ - NW Tucson area
Posts: 9,807
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted RV8 View Post
Byron is Contra Costa County. Havenít personally dealt with Contra Costa. Could do a preemptive and go to the assessors office and get the form to prepare. Not completely sure but the forms seem to be pretty much the same from the few different counties Iíve been in.

If you built your airplane versus purchased will reflect the valuation. Built should use kit prices, purchased should use purchased price. If valuation seems off you can always contest it with facts to get it lowered.

Counties get information from FAA records on ownership also. Since you live in Fremont youíll probably get an inquiry from Alameda County too.

The county that the plane resides in gets the personal property tax on the plane.
I'm not sure if that is the case.

The CA counties get registration data from the FAA for use tax (aka sales tax) and that would be dependent on kit vs. purchase.

However I bet the County is simply seeing what planes are based in it's locale for the CA Personal Property Tax and that yearly tax is based on "fair market value"

Here is Sacramento County's description -

http://www.assessor.saccounty.net/Bu.../Aircraft.aspx

Lots of stuff here including the "Field Canvassing" for property tax mentioned on page 7.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/proptaxes/pdf/ah577final2003.pdf
__________________
Gil Alexander
EAA Technical Counselor, Airframe Mechanic
Half completed RV-10 QB purchased
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:54 AM
az_gila's Avatar
az_gila az_gila is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 57AZ - NW Tucson area
Posts: 9,807
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by isosceles View Post
The airport ops sent out the form to fill about the airplanes people keep on the field. It says they have to provide the list of aircraft to the county assessor. It contains very basis question about the make and model, engine type and model and that's pretty much it. It does not even ask if it's a homebuilt, number of seats, etc. Is there a benefit in filling in the form or it's easier to ignore the request; my airplane are on the hangar rental paperwork so they will send the info to the county anyway?
I just read a bit more of the CA BOE linked document and if the form you got was the one in Appendix A (page 32) then it had this statement in it...

Pursuant to section 5367, failure to respond by [30 days] will require the assessor to add a 10 percent penalty to the market value of your aircraft

You probably would not want to p**s off any assessors...
__________________
Gil Alexander
EAA Technical Counselor, Airframe Mechanic
Half completed RV-10 QB purchased
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-09-2019, 07:51 PM
isosceles isosceles is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Fremont
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
I just read a bit more of the CA BOE linked document and if the form you got was the one in Appendix A (page 32) then it had this statement in it...

Pursuant to section 5367, failure to respond by [30 days] will require the assessor to add a 10 percent penalty to the market value of your aircraft

You probably would not want to p**s off any assessors...
No, that wasn't that. Just a request from the airport office about the airplanes based there

Thanks for the heads-up, guys, very useful information in this thread
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-13-2019, 09:25 PM
rongawer rongawer is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brentwood, CA
Posts: 362
Default

I'm at Byron as well (two hangars) and fill these out. At least the county is up-front about the purpose; it's the first sentence:

"Each year Contra Costa County Airportsí Staff is required to submit a list of aircraft stored at the County Airports to the County Assessor"

So it is a tool for the county assessor to gather data on airplanes that have not been reported.

And has been said, you'll just get a penalty and draw more attention if you don't return the form. Taxed...to...death...
__________________
Ron Gawer

- RV10, N1530G (reserved). Empennage in progress.
- RV12, N975G, "The Commuter"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:12 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.