VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-07-2019, 09:47 PM

Default Garmin aera 660 Problem, HW or SW?

Purchased my new aera 660 at Osh17. Really works/worked well, regularly used, started to act up last week.

Last week it started to refuse to charge the battery. New Garmin battery arrived today, still wonít charge. Also will not change the icon to indicate external power is applied.

Wonít indicate external power applied by icon, or automatically power up, in the case where the 660 is clipped into the planeís Garmin mount or when sitting on a table and connected to the Garmin supplied AC adaptor. So Iím attempting to charge, or even operate, using two different connectors on the 660s case, from two independent sources, and none of them work.

Iím wondering software because of the sudden behavior change of the icon not changing and the battery quantity just dropping. However if I connect the external Garmin AC adaptor and press the power button the 660 powers up, indicating battery operation, which of course is weak and dropping. While still powered up I unplug the AC adaptor from the side of the 660, and the 660 announces that External Power has been removed.

So the power is coming from the AC adaptor, the cord and connector are getting power into the 660.

So some of the software knows the external power is applied, but it isnít indicating that by the External power icon, and the battery level isnít increasing - so itís not charging. Software anomaly? Or is the specific charging circuitry dead? The 660 functions, drives the Trio AP, connects to the GDL39 3D, but itís dying and I canít recharge it...

Anyone have similar experiences? Suggestions? I wanted to check the forum for any similar experiences, and repair options, prior to contacting Garmin...

Thanks!

Carl
Old 01-08-2019, 08:08 AM

I would suggest a reset or reboot on the 660.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:26 AM

Default How to reboot/reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c210pa18 View Post
I would suggest a reset or reboot on the 660.
Thx for the response....

Beyond power cycles can you tell me a procedure? Also I have swapped batteries, so short of opening it (which I will not do) to remove a possible data keeper battery, I’m not sure how else to reboot/reset the brain...

Carl

Last edited by flytoday : 01-08-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:37 AM

Carl,

I am unaware of any issues with the Aera 660 that are similar to what you are experiencing. The best way for us to help you is through our G3Xpert product support team. If you send an email to the address below, we can help you with troubleshooting steps to figure out what is happening and ensure that you end up with a product that works properly.

Thanks,
Levi
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Carl,

I am unaware of any issues with the Aera 660 that are similar to what you are experiencing. The best way for us to help you is through our G3Xpert product support team. If you send an email to the address below, we can help you with troubleshooting steps to figure out what is happening and ensure that you end up with a product that works properly.

Thanks,
Levi
Email just sent to g3expert, thanks Levi for sharing the history, to tell me (us) it’s a new problem...

Added to another email four photos of my inner case data, under the battery, and the software config screens.

Carl

Last edited by flytoday : 01-08-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:09 PM

Called Garmin support. They expect this fail to charge and even acknowledge External Power is a hardware problem so they are sending a replacement 660.

Carl
Old 01-09-2019, 04:00 PM

That's what I was going to suggest when I started reading your post.. just call Garmin. They'll take care of you. Sounds like they already have. Love it.
Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 01-17-2019, 11:07 PM

Default Case Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytoday View Post
Called Garmin support. They expect this fail to charge and even acknowledge External Power is a hardware problem so they are sending a replacement 660.

Carl
With my ccard number Garmin got a replacement 660 quickly shipped to me. New unit arrived and works great. Shipped my broken 660 to them with RMA, and now they received it and fully refunded my ccard for the new unit. Result, new unit for me, my only cost was about $20 to ship the broke 660 to KS...

Very satisfied, thanks Garmin.

Carl