What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 N486JT Jon Thocker

jthocker

Well Known Member
My 6th completed RV, shown here with my daughter Haley, and Grand Teton in the background.

This RV8 was completed in July 2008. ECI Titan engine 188 hp, hartzell cs prop, 3878 carb.

High altitude cruise.

Tornado strikes Lakeland! Stripes strikes Mutha's plane with his plane!

At Oshkosh 2011, Phil Lamb's handiwork on a replacement part after the Debacle at Sun n Fun 2011!

The resurrected 6JT sporting checkerboarded flaps!

and a new instrument panel!

and new "old style" wing tips!

Last edited:
Nice!

Jon,
Nice bird! Can't wait to see it in person some day. That new panel is Sierra Hotel!

6th RV built - now that's cool! Amazing accomplishment!

Looks very nice!

So if I read that right, the airplane is the same except for the new panel and a switch to the old style of wingtips. Have you noted any difference in top speed and stall speed between the two different style wingtips?

Nice shot of the Grand. If I squint just right, I can see Paul Petzoldt hanging off thre rocks behind you.

Looks very nice!

So if I read that right, the airplane is the same except for the new panel and a switch to the old style of wingtips. Have you noted any difference in top speed and stall speed between the two different style wingtips?

Yes, in fact. 10 knots more on the top end, and 10 knot slower stall speed.
The new wing tips also completely alleviated the need for any rudder tab also!
;)

Scott Hersha N184SB

I don't think the extra 10 knots is from the wingtips. I think it's from the new checkerboard on the flaps. They are like a bunch of tiny vortex generators adding 'energy' to the sub-pressure flow' (engineering talk). By the way, I now have the checkerboard paint job on mine, so look out Jon!

Thanks...

John,....scuze me but my screen is now your picture with the Tetons in the background.....thanks:)

Best,

Tips

Some do not know that the origional wing tips are still avialiable. I like them, and have them on my RV8

Looks great, Jon. And I agree with Scott -- the extra speed isn't from the wingtips. It's from the checkerboard flaps. Even in trail, they add speed. It's a known fact.

By themselves, you likely would not have noticed any increase. However, coupled with the checkerboard rudder ... well ... 'nuff said.

Sierra Hotel indeed. :D

Haleybatics

Your plane looks great. You were lucky to get away with as little damage as you had at Rain & Pain last year. Your picture flying with daughter Haley reminded me of "Haleybatics". I googled that word and there you were. It was fun to watch father and daughter enjoy your 8 together!
Thanks for the fun!

Last edited:
Jon, that's a beautiful airplane. Looking forward to seeing it eventually. Thanks again for all the help!

Love those old-style wing tips! Anybody know what the model number is? Are they the old W-715s or the W-415 "Hoerner-style" tips? Looks like Jon has one of the AeroLED strobes on the tip as well, which model? Thanks in advance!

Love those old-style wing tips! Anybody know what the model number is? Are they the old W-715s or the W-415 "Hoerner-style" tips? Looks like Jon has one of the AeroLED strobes on the tip as well, which model? Thanks in advance!

Brian,
They are the W -415 wingtips
Pulsar EXP lights from AeroLED
Fiberglass Nav light extensions from Vans that fit the A-600 footprint
Good luck,

Back