What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Emerging Lifesavings Technologies

David Paule

Well Known Member
This company makes a 406 Mhz ELT with built-in GPS that connects to the aircraft electrical system so that the GPS always has an up-to-date location; it doesn't need to acquire its location after the crash.

I installed one and it failed the GPS part of its self-test; the other self-test details passed. I called the company and they had a few suggestions, but none of them resulted in passing that part of its check. They sent me a replacement ELT and antenna immediately, and requested that I return my original ones. I had not yet even registered my system.

I installed the new units today and everything checks out nicely.

Great service from friendly, concerned people.

Dave

Shoot, from the the thread title I thought this was going to be something to double my "life's savings"!

Dave - just out of curiosity (because I haven't been following Emerging's product of late) is your device using 406MHz ONLY, or have they now implemented a 121.5 homing beacon in the product?

I ask because the TSO has been revised such that the 121.5 homing beacon is a mandatory requirement while, initially at least, the Emerging Lifesaving Technologies device had only the 406MHz transmitter, making it more challenging for the "last mile" ground searchers. I'm curious to know if they've made any changes to their product to comply with the newest version of the TSO?

From the home page of their web site:

"The ONLY ELT without a 121.5 transmitter"

121.5 Still Invaluable

I would not have an ELT that did not transmit on 121.5. Many airlines, and I would hope corporate types, still monitor 121.5 during flight. It would be a real shame to miss out on such a resource.

I would not have an ELT that did not transmit on 121.5. Many airlines, and I would hope corporate types, still monitor 121.5 during flight. It would be a real shame to miss out on such a resource.

That's a vote I'll heartily second, and the primary reason behind my earlier question.

Picture this... Your RV is flipped over on its back - your 406 no longer has a view of the sky so it's not connecting to any of the satellites. You're pinned in the cockpit and you are starting to get pretty fuzzy but are alert enough to know you're losing blood. You're not far from the road but are in dense bush. You think the emergency folks have arrived because you think you heard sirens on the highway.

What are those responders going to use to find your airplane? Not 406MHz. They'll be using a 121.5MHz homing device.

This type of scenario is the reason why the TSO has been updated to mandate inclusion of a 121.5MHz homing beacon. This is also why I keep suggesting, on this forum and others, that ELT installations be optimized to help rescuers, rather than merely installed to meet a regulatory mandate. We all know ELT's are not infallible, however we should do all we can to help them stack the deck in our favor.

Back