What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie Help..... AIO external power cord?

gnuse

Well Known Member
I just passed my Tech. test thanks to the inspiration from this group.

I am in the deep-end, over my head, but looking forward to learning about a hobby I have dreamed of for decades.

I think the AIO unit is my first choice (airplanes, cars, and m/c use), but it seems to not have an external power cord. As I am not an electrical expert, I am looking for guidance...... I do know about letting the "smoke" out, however. :)

MT-RTG

Had an MT-AIO, great unit, sold it for a MT-RTG, the batteries in the AIO lasted for a nice amount of time. Depending on the aircraft your putting it in I would highly suggest getting their new MT-RTG as a complete plug and play type unit with their external antenna to use inside the cockpit. I like the RTG much better than the AIO, but it depends on how you are going to use the unit.

I just passed my Tech. test thanks to the inspiration from this group.

I am in the deep-end, over my head, but looking forward to learning about a hobby I have dreamed of for decades.

I think the AIO unit is my first choice (airplanes, cars, and m/c use), but it seems to not have an external power cord. As I am not an electrical expert, I am looking for guidance...... I do know about letting the "smoke" out, however. :)

Thanks for the thoughts, Steve. I hoped to find a unit that I could use in various vehicles and aircraft.

Hi George,

I have a BigRedBee unit (here see post #3) it works perfect in the car and aircraft, just plug and play. Also I believe Byonics had made similar recently check the archives on APRS forum.

Congratulations on getting the license! It's fun to be tracked.

I hoped to find a unit that I could use in various vehicles and aircraft.

Hi Gnuse,
The MT-RTG works fine moving it between various vehicles. Going between my car and airplane is as easy as unplugging it from one, and plugging it into the other. I use a permanently mounted antenna in both the car and the airplane, and just move the box and GPS. Velcro makes for an easy mount.

Really, though, for the price of the MT-RTG you could have a dedicated unit for each of the car and airplane.

-Dj

Back