What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS version of a BFR

AlexPeterson

Well Known Member
While I had a nice offer for a BFR from someone who saw me land at an airpark (hey, I saw you land here, I'll sign the logbook!), I chose the more traditional flying sort.

In any case, here is what it looked like. One can see various steep turns (wind at altitude howling from the south - ground speed at stall 8 knots!) at cruise and pattern speeds, climbing power on stalls, landings, playing with precision approach, etc..

BFR%20flight.jpg

Last edited:
I don't get it. Guess I'm feeling a bit dense today.

Was a stranger offering to sign off on a BFR solely based on watching 1 landing, from the ground?

Why would he/she do that? It's illegal, and they wouldn't get paid for the minimum of 1 hour ground and 1 hour dual, ehh?

BTW, nice track.

BFR

Alex...

Hmmm... I am getting airsick looking a this curly-cue track. How did I survive giving you the BFR???

Hey Doug,,,that looks a bit like an airplane parked in my hangar!!!
All is well here in central Maryland...have a great Christmas
Steve

I don't get it. Guess I'm feeling a bit dense today.

Was a stranger offering to sign off on a BFR solely based on watching 1 landing, from the ground?

Why would he/she do that? It's illegal, and they wouldn't get paid for the minimum of 1 hour ground and 1 hour dual, ehh?

BTW, nice track.
Jeff,

I had a friend who is a CFMII and signed off on a BFR simply by watching a pilot from the ground. Prior to the BFR flight they discussed what the instructor wanted to see. The pilot went up in his RV-3 and did everything they discussed over the airport with instructor "observing". Later on someone lodged a complaint against the RV-3 pilot and the FAA got involved. When the FAA contacted the instructor about signing off the BFR without flying with the pilot, the instructor read regs back to the FAA. At that time (This was 15+ years ago) the regs simply said the instructor had to observe the pilot, not ride with them, and that's what the instructor did, observe. The FAA took no action against the instructor and eventually dropped the case against the RV-3 pilot, which was unfounded based on what I was told at the time.

Back