What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Almost an RV14" mod or lowered seat in RV7

rsr3

Well Known Member
Hi everyone,

I am looking for information on lowered seat mods or increased recline for an RV7. So far, the only one I've seen is Anti Splat's "almost a 14" mod. Has anybody installed this in the UK, or can anyone suggest an alternative please?

Many thanks

Rob

Lowered Seat

Pretty sure you can not lower the seat in a -7.
The factory lowered the -7 seat from the -6 seat to accomplish what you are looking for. If you are still building, you might ask Van's if there are mods available, etc...like a tall pilot option, etc.

Thanks Bob - just started tail kit for now, but think I've already spent more hours researching than I'll spend building!

I have flown a 7 without the anti splat recline mod, and I fit in OK. It would definitely be more comfortable for me with more room, but it might be possible to do it with custom cushions if the mod wasn't approved in the U.K.

All the best.

I have a tall friend that pretty much resorted to a chunk of carpet on the seat pan when ever he borrowed my 6 or 7A. He keeps saying he is going to rig up a fiberglass bucket (like a racecar bucket seat) with 1/2" dense foam for padding. the challenge is how to form it to the shape of his butt!

Another idea I used for a different friend who was knocking his head on the canopy of his HRII. I was able to give him about 1" more head space by curving the seat back panel. (his seat cushion was already at minimal thickness).

Race car seat

Find a race car magazine. They have seat kits. I believe they are called Bead Seats. You sit in the seat to make the mold of the beads and then you add a liquid foam to the bag. When cured you have a perfectly molded seat. Let me know if you cannot find a magazine or the proper ad. I will send contact info. I have been racing for years. And have a race car and trailer for sale BTW.

In my new to me RV7 the builder installed the almost a 14 kit in it from Anti splat Aero, it works perfectly... and I hate it. I am maybe 5?9 and I feel like I am really leaning back. In fact I am going to need to put some type of peddle cuff or exstention on the pedals to get the fit right.

Anyone with a suggestion let me know.

Thanks for post

In my new to me RV7 the builder installed the almost a 14 kit in it from Anti splat Aero, it works perfectly... and I hate it. I am maybe 5?9 and I feel like I am really leaning back. In fact I am going to need to put some type of peddle cuff or exstention on the pedals to get the fit right.

Anyone with a suggestion let me know.

Sean
Thank you for your post. I am at the point in my build where I really need to consider this mod. Your insight showed me another side.

Mav,
I have the almost 14 mod in a 9A, and I am curious to your dilemma. Did the builder install the flap on the back of the seat, (which is original to the vans seat) so you can set the seat back in a more vertical position? or does the seat back just lay on the new antisplat cross member?
When I installed mine, I kept the seat back flap and installed a second piece on the underside of the flap so the seat back flap can be inserted into the creased channel on the new cross member as original..with the end of the flap in the channel, or tilted forward a bit and the new slot I installed inserted in the cross member for a mid position recline angle..makes it super adjustable.
This effectively gives me 3 seat back recline positions..and if you still didnt like the recline in the outermost position, a new seat back flap could be made longer, to position the seat back even further forward. I also have 3 different hinges in the floor to position the bottom of the seat back. How many do you have?
The way I have mine fabricated, you can have the original position (pre- AS mod)..or 2 settings back for both the seat back and the seat bottom.
Very easy to fabricate this way, and gives a pretty decent range of leg room and recline combinations.
IF you dont have more than one hinge in the cockpit floor, or what you have is too far back, simply install another forward of the one you have and that will most likely eliminate the need for pedal extensions.

Last edited:
Mav,
I have the almost 14 mod in a 9A, and I am curious to your dilemma. Did the builder install the flap on the back of the seat, (which is original to the vans seat) so you can set the seat back in a more vertical position? or does the seat back just lay on the new antisplat cross member?
When I installed mine, I kept the seat back flap and installed a second piece on the underside of the flap so the seat back flap can be inserted into the creased channel on the new cross member as original..with the end of the flap in the channel, or tilted forward a bit and the new slot I installed inserted in the cross member for a mid position recline angle..makes it super adjustable.
This effectively gives me 3 seat back recline positions..and if you still didnt like the recline in the outermost position, a new seat back flap could be made longer, to position the seat back even further forward. I also have 3 different hinges in the floor to position the bottom of the seat back. How many do you have?
The way I have mine fabricated, you can have the original position (pre- AS mod)..or 2 settings back for both the seat back and the seat bottom.
Very easy to fabricate this way, and gives a pretty decent range of leg room and recline combinations.
IF you dont have more than one hinge in the cockpit floor, or what you have is too far back, simply install another forward of the one you have and that will most likely eliminate the need for pedal extensions.

Great post, the flap on the back of the seat is still there and I think I could fabricate a longer flap to bring the back forward a bit. The seat does have the three hinges in the floor but I have not tried all the combinations as the furthest forward looks like the best position for my short legs.

Great post, the flap on the back of the seat is still there and I think I could fabricate a longer flap to bring the back forward a bit. The seat does have the three hinges in the floor but I have not tried all the combinations as the furthest forward looks like the best position for my short legs.

If your -7 was built for a taller person, you may need to also relocate the pedal blocks aft a bit. I set mine up for my 5'8" and it fits perfectly but taller people are not comfortable so I plan to install the Almost -14 mod to accommodate them by allowing the seat to move aft a few inches.

I have a -9A and the "almost a -14" mod installed. I did it for a different reason than needing more room (my flight suit size is short fat). I did it to make it easier to access the baggage and aft fuselage are during upgrades, mx, and condition inspections. I used nut plates to secure the cross bar in place which make it quick to remove. During condition inspections, I remove the canopy and the mod and now have plenty of room to work forward or aft inspections. It's "almost" the best mod from AntiSplatAero. Dan from Reno

Back