What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Want to add 2nd PTT Switch

Piper J3

Well Known Member
I want to add a second PTT switch on right stick of an early model 12 with Dynon D-180. I have the seat pan out and don't see a specific wire for the right side switch. Should the wire be part of the original wiring harness? The schematic shows a separate wire connecting to the intercom. Any help appreciated...

I want to add a second PTT switch on right stick of an early model 12 with Dynon D-180. I have the seat pan out and don't see a specific wire for the right side switch. Should the wire be part of the original wiring harness? The schematic shows a separate wire connecting to the intercom. Any help appreciated...
I haven't looked specifically at that part of the harness, but mine (also a D180 equipped plane, S/N 120222) I have a co-pilot PTT. The schematic shows it as a white/blue wire on pin 3 of the 37-pin tunnel harness connector.

Thanks Dale. I'm studying the schematic and it appears that I have to add my own wire all the way from the stick to pin #6 on the intercom. Schematic shows wire as "Blue Dashed" all the way from the stick to the intercom which means optional wire.

Huh. That's not obvious on my PDF copy. I have the original DWG file, and it shows white/blue. The pilot PTT shows white/brown, so they match the wire colors.

Thanks guys. Switch will be permanent mount in top of stick grip to match pilot side. I will open the tunnel tomorrow and see if I can find white/blue and white/brown at the connector.

Update - I decided to run a single wire from the right stick all the way up to the #6 pin on the FlightCom. Nice clean installation.

Works swimmingly...

Back