Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2018, 08:10 AM

Default Structural effects of Rosen Sunvisor?

At Sun-n-Fun, I picked up a pair of Rosen Sunvisors, but made sure they are returnable, because Iím concerned about the structural affects it may have on the roll bar. They are only for the -6,-7, and -9 sliders, and they require drilling two holes in the rollover bar. The holes would be large enough to accommodate an 8/32 riv-nut. Has anyone installed these in their plane, or does anyone have any thoughts on the effects this may have on the rollover bar?

If you have installed them, how do you like them?

https://generalaviationnews.com/2014...nopy-for-vans/

Thanks Guys
Old 04-15-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus4 View Post
At Sun-n-Fun, I picked up a pair of Rosen Sunvisors, but made sure they are returnable, because Iím concerned about the structural affects it may have on the roll bar. They are only for the -6,-7, and -9 sliders, and they require drilling two holes in the rollover bar. The holes would be large enough to accommodate an 8/32 riv-nut. Has anyone installed these in their plane, or does anyone have any thoughts on the effects this may have on the rollover bar?

If you have installed them, how do you like them?

https://generalaviationnews.com/2014...nopy-for-vans/

Thanks Guys
Probably no more affect than the handle install?
Old 04-15-2018, 09:36 PM

Check the instructions. I installed mine a year ago and don’t recall rivnuts. I think I threaded the roll bar tapping a 1/8” hole. And I’m no engineer but it’s steel and strong.
RV 7A. RV #9700
Built in SoCal KCCB
N325KS
Phase 1 Completed Nov 2017
Old 04-15-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotkms View Post
Check the instructions. I installed mine a year ago and donít recall rivnuts. I think I threaded the roll bar tapping a 1/8Ē hole. And Iím no engineer but itís steel and strong.
Thatís interesting. Iím just going by what the guys at S-n-F told me. I havenít had a chance to dive into the instructions yet. Thanks for the guidance.

Btw, how do you like them? Do they get in the way when not in use?
Old 04-16-2018, 06:41 AM

Default YMMV

I installed them and ended up removing them as they never seemed to be where the sun was. After a few years they started to droop occasionally also.

Would be easier to just put a strip of the sunshade film you can buy across the top like they have in cars. I have this on the slider portion either side of the center rail and it works well.
Figs
Old 04-16-2018, 07:49 AM

I agree that you are better off drilling and tapping, rather than installing aluminum rivnuts. I have never had any luck using rivnuts, they require a large hole, and invariably strip out and or loosen after time. The rivnuts will not hold up to the constant movement of the visor.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017
2018 dues paid.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:17 AM

Awesome info guys! Thanks! I got them on a whim without doing much research because of the show price at Sun-n-Fun and they told me I could return them if they are unused. Sounds like my $400 would be better spent elsewhere...