- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2018, 09:19 AM

Here is the answer I received from Van's Aircraft:

I regret to inform you that this is not something we have ever offered a kit for or even looked into. The best option would be to copy an existing install as there are builders that have done this before you. The best source of information on this may be http://www.vansairforce.net/ or contact some RV-7 builders flying with the IAC. You may even question Hooker and see if they will give you contact information from a past customer.

Sterling

Van's Aircraft
14401 Keil Rd
Aurora, Oregon 97002
Old 03-23-2018, 03:36 PM

Default secondary anchor points

Not an RV-7, but I posted an installation of secondary anchor points on my RV-14A on the General Discussion forum:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=158840
RV-14A #140158 flying
Old 03-27-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake14 View Post
Not an RV-7, but I posted an installation of secondary anchor points on my RV-14A on the General Discussion forum:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=158840
Thanks Jake. That looks like it might be the direction I go with my installation. Thanks for posting the link.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:32 PM

when I originally posted this, I commented that "This is an additional, optional restraint. The primary restraint is still the standard CROW 5-point harness"

I also asked Van's for comments on the installation. Here's what they said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your concern. We test our seatbelt installations to the requirements of FAR 23. This is an involved process. Without testing and calculations it would be impossible to determine if your solution would or would not work. Note that my gut feeling is that due to load path and angles your design may fail in a crash situation.

With that said our recommended solution is a crotch strap. The crotch strap 5th point not only prevents your head from contact with the canopy but will also prevent a body from slipping out and forward underneath the belt.

Regards,
Rian Johnson
VP / Chief Engineer
Van's Aircraft Inc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this just emphasizes my original comment about the standard 5-point harness being the primary restraint, which should always be worn. I found Van's claim that the crotch strap will keep your head from hitting the canopy not to be the case for me. The aft location of the lap belt anchor points still allows one's hips to lift up a few inches. There's just no substitute for a ratcheting belt pulling the hips mostly downward

Just wanted to pass this along in case someone tries to use the forward anchors for the primary restraint. I don't know what kind of testing FAR 23 requires, but it may be out of scope for a homebuilder so I think an auxiliary install like this, which keeps the stock primary restraints is a good option

Ps I did consider another bracket riveted to the bottom skin for additional strengthening, but it seemed like overkill.. however, during the build stage, it would be quite easy to duplicate Van's anchor supports further forward, (with some adjusted angles)
RV-14A #140158 flying

Last edited by Jake14 : 03-28-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:12 AM

I'm intending to install a second lap belt in my -7 and will be very interested to see what you end up doing for the attach point.

Please post what you come up with.

I had a second belt and have done plenty of outside loops, inverted spins, etc.in my former ride (Steen Skybolt) and while getting dual in S2A/B''s and miss the capability in my -4.

-2G will be enough for rolling turns and more mild negative things so I'm less worried about the rachet in an RV.