What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Altimeter vs GPS altitude

AIUI, a regional pressure setting is provided by ATC such that for its period of validity and for the highest terrain in the region and the lowest SL pressure in the region the altimeter will not over-read.

Hmm, this is interesting. So you think ATC issues an altimeter setting with a built in calculated margin of error? That is news to me. Not saying it isn't true but I have never heard that. And from your post you are saying that an airfield altimeter setting uses different parameters than ATC issued settings?

I know some weather reporting stations are CERTIFIED and some are not but I do not know exactly what the differences are.

Hmm, this is interesting. So you think ATC issues an altimeter setting with a built in calculated margin of error? That is news to me. Not saying it isn't true but I have never heard that. And from your post you are saying that an airfield altimeter setting uses different parameters than ATC...

Bear in mind the poster is, at least part time, from the UK. I know some things are different over the pond.

Static source errors

The original problem stated - GPS vs. barometric altitude error has several potential sources of error. The one that sticks out here is static source error. Unless the static source is set up perfectly, errors chnage with airspeed and altitude. Typically we detect these errors during airspeed calibration (you did one right) as static source errors in small aircraft are more critical to airspeed. These are typically reflected in calibrated airspeed charts (again you made one for your airplane right) that we see in certified airplanes.

The easy way to detect a static source error of significance is to fly down a runway at high speeds and at a predetermined height above the runway, typically about 10 ft. Even if you estimate the height 10 ft off it isn't significant.
Set the altimeter to field elevation prior to takeoff, then Fly down the runway at say 140 kts indicated and monitor your indicated altitude. Add your height above gnd to the ground elevation and that is what your altimeter should read. Any error is introduced by static source error.

If you have 300 ft of error you might want to fix your static source, but you will need to look at the errors over a broad airspeed range.

Dear, oh dear.......

There are, quite frankly, some seriously ill-informed comments appearing on this thread. Let's just go back 10 years or so before most people had any GPS or glass in their light aircraft.

The altimeter suffers from a multitude of errors. Over the years, the majority have been minimized by good design. The major remaining errors are pressure, temperature and orographic.

Pressure error - this is effectively having a sub-scale setting which is different from the actual msl pressure. Not normally an issue at the airfield but can be when flying outside the circuit. As has been previously alluded, this is catered for by the regional pressure setting being given as the lowest forecast for the particular zone effectively giving the worst case. Note that if you fly from a high pressure region to a lower pressure region without correcting the sub-scale, your altimeter will over-read.

Temperature error - already explained in the thread. A lower-than-standard atmosphere will cause the altimeter to over-read. Normally the error is small but in extreme temperatures, procedural altitudes, min-safe altitudes and approach minima should be raised.

Orographic error - caused by the localized lowering of pressure by a strong wind over high terrain. Minimum safe altitudes are therefore raised under these conditions.

Now, ATC know all about these and so procedural and minimum radar vectoring altitudes all take this into account to ensure terrain clearance under all conditions. This was the case 10 years ago and is the case now.

Fast forward to today when a lot of aircraft have GPS. It is tempting to dismiss the error-strewn and "inaccurate" altimeter in favour of the fabulous new and "accurate" GPS. This raises 2 issues. Firstly ATC procedures are based on baro altimeters and so these should be used as the primary vertical reference even though we know that the actual altitude may be somewhat in error, since it will always be on the safe side. Secondly, if flying VFR then the main terrain clearance device is the mark 1 eyeball. You really should not be flying around below MSA in IFR or marginal conditions using your space-age looking but uncertified GPS and Synthetic Vision to fly down valleys - I am sure Dynon, Garmin et al will confirm that their equipment is not intended to be used this way.

To summarize:

- whilst the altimeter will not always accurately reflect your true altitude, the errors are either designed out or catered for by procedural or standard procedures to ensure terrain clearance.

- ATC altitudes are all referenced to the baro altimeter which should, of course, have the correct setting. Hence the altimeter should be used as the primary altitude reference.

- In areas of high ground, it makes perfect sense to use the GPS generated information to monitor terrain and increase awareness. Except in possible emergency or abnormal situations, the GPS should not be used for primary terrain avoidance.

Another easy way to find static errors today, assuming a well equipped airplane, is:

1) Fly at cruise speed
2) Turn on your AP in alt hold
3) Note the GPS altitude
4) Slow airplane down significantly
5) Note GPS altitude

If you have no static error, the GPS altitude won't change. If you do, then it will. Not quite as fun as flying over a runway, but just as effective. This does assume your autopilot is plumbed to the static system, not the cockpit.

Back