What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AX-O's Fastback RV-4

Air Dams ??

You probably already know this, but don't forget to put air dams on the front of cylinders #1 & #2.

Lookin' good!

Hans[/QUOTE]

This one goes infront of the #1. It is attached via number 8 screws. The pictures below show the dam not attached just on top of the screw.

CIMG3954.JPG
CIMG3955.JPG

CIMG3956.JPG
CIMG3957.JPG

Deflector

Hi AX O

I presume the deflector plate is to prevent overcooling the front cylinders and to direct air to the rears?

I have not noticed this before in any of the photos of Sam James system, and as I am doing a similar arrangement on my 4 would be grateful for the advice.

BTW it makes me feel happier when I am in clouds of glass fibre dust to come and look at your photos just so I can see I am not the only one!!!!

Hi AX O

I presume the deflector plate is to prevent overcooling the front cylinders and to direct air to the rears?

The plates are used in order to keep the temps on all cylinders as close to each other as possible.

Looking good. Kinda disappointed (and slightly scared) that you decided to you with the dual p-mag route. I don't trust dual EI as a general rule.

Looking good. Kinda disappointed (and slightly scared) that you decided to you with the dual p-mag route. I don't trust dual EI as a general rule.
It's a shame you don't know anything about the P-mags other than what you read on the internet to make such an ill informed comment.

Now back to Axel's build progress. Looking good. You will really enjoy those P-mags!

Last edited:
Put both of my Pmags on today. Like always, nothing is easy for me :mad: I dropped a bolt, washer, lock washer and securing tab inside the hole for the mag. I had to take the oil pan off in order to remove the FOD from inside the engine. Oh well, que sera sera.
CIMG3959.JPG
CIMG3958.JPG

Last edited:
It's been a while. Things have been slow around here. Seems like nothing ever fits the plane other than her name (Dilemma). I decided to do some glass work. The temps in CA are good for that type of work now. I glassed the intake rings and did some work to the intake scoop.

IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG

Been doing some work with the exhaust system, oil/air separator, and the mixture and throttle control cables. I hope the control cables don't interfere with anything in the future.

IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0129.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Made more mods to the plenum. I had to extend a spot up in order to fit a fuel line (from the purge valve) and make a provision for cooling air to the Pmag. The cone shape will provide the area for the cooling tube. Like Arnold would say ?it?s not a tumo?. I placed wax on the plenum so I can remove the part, the play-doh and re-install it later. BTW, white spots you see on the glass are clay, flock or wax.

IMG_0150.JPG
IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG
IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG
IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG

Few cats and dogs. I installed some reservoirs (aircraft spruce P/N 06-00391) on the rudder assembly. Picked up 2 knobs and a mechanical tach cover plate from Avery Tools. Figured out the location for the purge valve. And I have been trying to figure out my spark plug wire routing. All the zip ties are temporary. Just trying to figure out where everything goes.

IMG_0162.JPG
IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG
IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0158.JPG

Just wanted to give you guys another update on Dilemma. She is coming along slowly. Originally Dilemma was going to be VFR. I just wanted her flying while I finished my RV-8 fastback. I decided to sell the RV-8 kit and keep the RV-4 fastback. Once I did that, the mission for Dilemma changed. I made a mockup panel out of cardboard and sent it to Stein Air to have it made. I designed it so I could have both GRT screen on top of each other. They did an excellent job (will use them again on my next plane). The panel is composed of the following:
-GRT Sport 200
-GRT Sport 100 with internal GPS
-GRT ARINC adapter and magnetometer
-GRT engine monitor (EIS)
-Garmin GNS 430 W (nav/com)
-Garmin GTX 327 (x-ponder)
-Garmin 240 (audio panel)
-Garmin SL 40 (com)

I am still trying to figure out if I am going to install a Digiflight II auto pilot before she flies. Can wait to put power on it. Should start working on my electrical system soon.

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0223.JPG

Last edited:
Beautiful

Is the word for this piece of Art.....

Axel, did you try it with the stick installed and if so, how much clearance do you have to the bottom of the panel.

I'm planning to redo my panel in my -4 with 7'' Skyview and an Avmap EKP IV as the bottom and was wondering if I would have the clearance??

Would you might sharing the cost of cutting the panel and the time required to get it back via PM, I would appreciate it. In my neck of the woods,the cost for that kind of job are out of this world.

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Is the word for this piece of Art.....

Axel, did you try it with the stick installed and if so, how much clearance do you have to the bottom of the panel.

I'm planning to redo my panel in my -4 with 7'' Skyview and an Avmap EKP IV as the bottom and was wondering if I would have the clearance??

Would you might sharing the cost of cutting the panel and the time required to get it back via PM, I would appreciate it. In my neck of the woods,the cost for that kind of job are out of this world.

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Send you a pm later. Right now I have 3/4 of an inch clearance per panel design. That was one of the limitations. I will probably use an infinity stick and will make it fit like the one that is currently installed.

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

Looking good! Have you considered putting an extra fuel tank in that space under the panel? It would help CG on long flights and you could use it for smoke oil when you are just terrorizing the local area.

RV-4 PANEL

Hi Axel
Thanks for the reply and pictures, I'll be standing by for the PM.

BTW, do you know of any good panel planner software? There's www.panelplanner.com but at $295.00,:eek: I think I'll pass for now..

Can't wait to see your -4 flying..

Cheers

Bruno
[email protected]

Looking good! Have you considered putting an extra fuel tank in that space under the panel? It would help CG on long flights and you could use it for smoke oil when you are just terrorizing the local area.

Sir,
My buddy (G-force) and I are in the process of installing larger wing fuel tanks. I should end up with approximately 44 gallons vice 32. I am trying everything possible to keep that space open for baggage/CG adjustments. I am very sure my rv is going to end up tail heavy. I have a 320 and catto prop.

The CG of a wood prop 320 in a -4 is why I am considering putting a tank there. The weight is 10 inches in front of the spar. I'd have to redo my panel before I could fit a tank and I'm just not sure it's worth it.

44 gallons will be super nice. I sure wish I had 44 gallons.

Finally got my engine sensors. Been waiting since Feb. I started working on it a little bit.

I am waiting on my mixture and throttle cables. Had to special order them. They have been on back order for about 6 weeks. Once those come in, I should be able to start finalizing my FWF.

My tail wheel assembly finally came in. I sent it to Bill Sousa in SOCAL and he did all the work for free. He cut the old spring and machined the end to accept the API fork. He also installed a taper pin vice a standard AN bolt. He even bought the pin. RV people are amazing for the most part. I will be balancing his prop soon.

Same thing with my tail wheel. Dayton exchanged my tail wheel with a new one because the axle on the new API fork was a different size and the bearings would not work. No questions asked. Nice guy if you have not met him.

Did some work on the Horizontal stab angle of incidence. I added a 3/8 of an inch spacer under the front spar. It is the same spacer Dayton is using on his RV-4. We should be configured almost identically as far as weight and balance. That spacer yielded a 1.35 positive angle of incidence on my aircraft.

Did a little more work on the bottom fiber glass cap. I needed to add the tail/strobe light. So I fabricated a cone to accept the tail light.

I also have been working on my elevator trim. It was manual before I changed Dilemma's mission. I wanted to add an electric trim without cutting my elevator. I spoke to Randy (RV-3 builder) and I am doing something similar to what he did with his -3.

By the way, I am not that disorganized. I have a lot of different projects going on at the same time because I live in the middle of the Mojave Desert and it is difficult to find parts. I have to order everything via web and wait until they show up.

Attached are some pics of the progress.

IMG_0322%20fixed.jpg
IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG
IMG_0326.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG
IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG
IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG
IMG_0342.JPG

Sir,
I am very sure my rv is going to end up tail heavy. I have a 320 and catto prop.

Axel,

One thing you could do is put the battery in the left cheek, just behind the oil door. I used one of the Oddessy (sp?) batteries, made a box for it out of aluminum and clamped it to the engine mount with Adel clamps. it works great, loses weight compared to a standard battery and (bonus) moves the CG forward!

Axel,

One thing you could do is put the battery in the left cheek, just behind the oil door. I used one of the Oddessy (sp?) batteries, made a box for it out of aluminum and clamped it to the engine mount with Adel clamps. it works great, loses weight compared to a standard battery and (bonus) moves the CG forward!

Double bonus, less voltage drop on the starter wire run.

That would be the right cheek...

Axel,

........One thing you could do is put the battery in the left cheek, just behind the oil door.

....which is what we did on my buddy's -4. Actually, he bought the Van's battery case and mounted it on the firewall. He also used the big, clutsy starter to help with a light nose and Catto prop,

Best,

Another option is to build it as light as you can and then IF you need weight up front, call Sam at Saber and ask for one of his steel crush plates.

The battery is set. Thanks for the input.

Here are some old pics.
CIMG2400.JPG

CIMG2401.JPG

CIMG2402.JPG

Last edited:
I have been waiting for my control cables still. The last set was also defective from the factory. I decided to order the aviation ones. In the mean time my extension pipes showed up and I decided to do some glass work. I may be ready for a Lancair once this one is done. The exhaust set up is not in its final configuration.

IMG_0434.JPG
IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG
IMG_0458.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG
IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG
IMG_0484.JPG

Last edited:
Axel, I am a new RV-4 builder, just getting started. I was searching the site for examples of the fastback when I ran accross your post. I was really impressed with your work. I hope you will leave your pictures up so that I can look at them for idea's and inspiration as I work on my project. Do you mind a newbie question once in a while? THANKS!

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Axel, I am a new RV-4 builder, just getting started. I was searching the site for examples of the fastback when I ran accross your post. I was really impressed with your work. I hope you will leave your pictures up so that I can look at them for idea's and inspiration as I work on my project. Do you mind a newbie question once in a while? THANKS!

Dave, welcome aboard.

You came to the right place, that is for sure:D

Sir,
the pictures will be here as long as DR (Owner of VAF) will allow me to have them up. I am glad that they could help you or at least provide sources of ideas. That is the only reason we post all this stuff. Additional pictures (with more detail) are located on my Picasa page. You can click here http://picasaweb.google.com/N704TK to see them. If you have questions, feel free to send me a PM or an email. I get about 2 emails a day and 3 phone calls a week regarding the project.

Welcome to VAF. You will find that 99.99% of us are polite and behave well. Once in a while someone gets out of line and the VAF rules get posted as a reminder. If you don’t want to get involve with endless debates/conversations, don’t bring up the following topics :D Primers, tail wheel/nose wheel, paint before flying or after, one or two electronic ignitions and a couple of others.

Last edited:
Dave, welcome aboard.

You came to the right place, that is for sure:D

Hey Mike, thanks for the "welcome aboard" response, I am still trying to learn how the site works. And you are right, from what little I have seen it looks like a great place to find everything from words of wisdom to spare parts!

Sir,
the pictures will be here as long as DR (Owner of VAF) will allow me to have them up. I am glad that they could help you or at least provide sources of ideas. That is the only reason we post all this stuff. Additional pictures (with more detail) are located on my Picasa page. You can click here http://picasaweb.google.com/N704TK to see them. If you have questions, feel free to send me a PM or an email. I get about 2 emails a day and 3 phone calls a week regarding the project.

Welcome to VAF. You will find that 99.99% of us are polite and behave well. Once in a while someone gets out of line and the VAF rules get posted as a reminder. If you don?t want to get involve with endless debates/conversations, don?t bring up the following topics :D Primers, tail wheel/nose wheel, paint before flying or after, one or two electronic ignitions and a couple of others. Where are you located? I have had guys come down to check the project once in a while.

Hi Axel, thanks for the welcome and advice. Of course I am sure you know that some of the items you suggest I not ask about are the very things I need to learn about. How can I find earlier discussions on topics to read without asking a question that will start a long discussion?
I would love to drop by to see your project, I live in a small town on the West coast (of Michigan that is) so it is a bit far.
We have a local EAA chapter 211 that I am going to join. There a a few RV builders who belong there and at least one 4 that I am aware of so far.
Thanks again for posting your pictures and sharing your great project!!!

How can I find earlier discussions on topics to read without asking a question that will start a long discussion?

Before asking a question, you should try the "search" function of the forum. The majority of the things you need to learn have been discussed already. For example if you want to learn about primer. Do a search for “primer” you will find plenty of info. Or if a part is giving you problems, search for that part number, ie “HS 404”.

If you're in a hurry, there is a section of the forums dedicated to Never Ending Debates, that covers the heavy hitters like primers, landing gear configuration, canopy configruation, engine selection, etc., etc., etc...;)

I had a request to post interior progress pics.

About a month ago my dad referred me to a lady that does aircraft interiors. Apparently she knows what she is doing. She had space available immediately or I would have to wait a few months before she could start. I told her I would wait but she wanted to get started ASAP. Well, that meant that I had to change gears and start working on the interior. I designed my seat cushions and that was all I wanted. Then she asked me if I was making arm rest, I told her no but she told me that my wife and I may be more comfortable. So I told her I would make some. Then she asked me If I wanted pockets and I told her no, but then she said my wife and I would like it. So I designed some pockets. I had some aluminum laying around so I decided that I would start on the arm rest once the seat cushions were designed. I used card board and made templates then transferred the shape to metal. I got to use some new tools in the process. A break and a bead machine (don?t know the spelling). Those machines were cool. I was able to put 90 bends on the metal then made the arm rest a little stiffer by using the bead machine. This should look nice once it is all done.

IMG_0520.JPG
IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG
IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG
IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG
IMG_0531.JPG

Axel----looks good.

If you made a bottom for the armrest panels, and hinged the top, you could have a couple extra storage compartments;)

I thought about that but after looking at it closely, I decided not to do that. The rudder cables and wiring conduit are behind the panels. Having the hinge would mean that the mounting set up would not provide enough rigidity for the arm rest and whatever I put in there may cause control interferences. I am sure that someone has done that before and has had not issues but I did not want to take the chance.

Man it has been a while. Between flying the new plane, practicing formation, traveling with my wife and working on the other plane I have not had much time to post. Here is some resent work on my cowl cheeks. The original ones did not fit. So I made new ones. Of course the reason it will take me 50 years to finish the plane is because I don't like following the plans. Did not like the outside flange so I made mine from the inside. I am very happy with the way the checks turned out. I am almost done with them. I also worked on the oil door.

IMG_1051.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1365.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

IMG_1050.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

I have been working with a gentleman named Mike Manning on my interior. Mike has gone way out of his way traveling to the middle of the Mohave dessert to help me out with my upholstery. His knowledge and skills have been invaluable. After the terrible experience with my previous “person”, Mike has made my wife and I feel good again. He tried multiple cushions and thicknesses and angles and on and on….. Today I saw the first few pieces and they fit the plane perfectly. Better yet, they fit my wife and I perfectly. If you need Mike’s info, sent me a PM (hint Dayton M.)

RV%252520Front%252520Seat.JPG
RV%252520Rear%252520Seat.JPG

DSC04311.JPG

DSC04347.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

Last edited:
Mounting of the cheek cowls

Hi,
Your workmanship looks great, I'm curious as to how you?ve attached the cheek cowls to the fuselage sides. From your pictures I can see a line of rivets parallel to the cheek cowls, I'm assuming this has something to do with how they are attached. Keep the progress pictures coming.

Back