What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control lock

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Ran across this on EBay for $49, cannot find anything in the archives, has anyone tried this with success?
2n0twme.jpg
[/IMG]

Hey Don,

They make several models of this, including one specifically for the RV-12
I thought about one, but Van's tow bar does a pretty good job of locking everything; brakes, rudders, and stick.

Tom

I installed one on my Rans S-6S. I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet, but I think in will work just fine.

Jim

I have one in the 9A and use it regularly. It works very well and in conjunction with the rudder lock, rock solid.

I have the RV12 Vans tow bar which doubles as a rudder lock, thought this would close all the remaining problem areas.

Don,
Since you are discussing a tow bar, does that mean that you will be using it to pull your RV-12 outside for its first flight soon? :)

Joe, as I do every January 1st, I resolved to freeze the design and get it flying this year. Unfortunately every year I ignore the resolution and continue to change things. Wing tanks are the current upgrade project among others..

Don,
Since you are discussing a tow bar, does that mean that you will be using it to pull your RV-12 outside for its first flight soon? :)

Bogi-Bar as control lock????

I have one in the 9A and use it regularly. It works very well and in conjunction with the rudder lock, rock solid.

I JUST tried this yesterday, and was shocked how close the tow bar was to a decent lock. I bought a bunch of PVC pipe to see if I could make it clip to the pedals and stick somehow.

IMG_1841_zpsjmgjoajc.jpg

Joe, as I do every January 1st, I resolved to freeze the design and get it flying this year. Unfortunately every year I ignore the resolution and continue to change things. Wing tanks are the current upgrade project among others..

Don,
I'm starting to think that your RV-12 building project isn't really a project after all........................it's a lifestyle! ;)

I'm starting to lean that way myself! :)

Jim

You know, you just might be very correct in that assumption! And to think, I chose the RV12 because at my age I needed a kit that I could get flying in short order! :mad:

Don,
I'm starting to think that your RV-12 building project isn't really a project after all........................it's a lifestyle! ;)

I'm starting to lean that way myself! :)

Jim

Flaperon lock

Not a complete control lock solution by any means, but a couple of furniture wedges and short length of bungee cord make a cheap and effective flaperon lock. Make one for each wing.

16407751891_56df876c81_z.jpg

16407752301_64c88dc446_z.jpg

Last edited:
I received my control lock today, as pictured in the original post. I am quite pleased with it, and especially its small size and light weight. I cannot install it until I have the wings back on, so the flaperons are neutral though.

Back