What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Corrosion on wings and fuselage ...

dypen

What is the procedure for removing corrosion that has come on the wings and fuselage during storage over many years on a QB kit?

Hope someone can answer this, I see there is a similar question here that is not answered.

Looks like it must be polished or sanded away, using chemicals should be unnecessary since there is no painted surfaces.

Elimination of corrosion by application of an organic film to metal surface.

corrosion-removal.jpg

CHAPTER 6. CORROSION, INSPECTION & PROTECTION.pdf

Last edited:
Looks like it must be polished or sanded away, using chemicals should be unnecessary since there is no painted surfaces.

Even if you don't alodine before painting, and acid etch step would remove any traces of corrosion in pits that sanding will not get to.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/alumiprep33tech.pdf

From the above document -

Brush Application:

For light oxidation and corrosion removal dilute one part ALUMIPREP
33 with five parts water.

For heavy oxidation and corrosion removal dilute one part ALUMIPREP
33 with two parts water.

Thanks for the quick reply! After polishing / sanded it makes sense to clean and protect for good result :)

Gil:

I just noticed that today is the 10th anniversary of you joining VAF.
Congratulations!!! Almost 7,000 posts, too.

gary

Gil:

I just noticed that today is the 10th anniversary of you joining VAF.
Congratulations!!! Almost 7,000 posts, too.

gary

Thanks, I hadn't noticed.

Big day Thursday, I'm picking up my assembled O-360 from near you at Chandler...

Back to corrosion :)

Is it possible to say something about how hard attack the wing top skin is from the image and what must be done immediately and what must be done before painting in a few years?

Is this a reason to worry and that degrades the value?

DSC_3241.jpg

Hard to tell from pictures, but this appears to be very minor. It should polish out easily. If the project is now in a conditioned space and not being exposed to moisture or a high humidity environment, you would not need to treat further. A self etching primer would protect the areas you polish, but again, not needed if your environment is relatively dry and non condensing.

You could do as Gill suggests, but that is a lot of work. Also, if you acid etch, you will need to convert and prime as the raw etched surface left unprotected will be more susceptible to corrosion.

This type of corrosion is minor and relatively common.

I see QB kit is the blu protection plastic take off when arrived, Standard kit builders having plastic on as long as possible.

Actually leaving the plastic on can make thinks a lot worse. Scotch Brite, clean and Build on. If you wish, a light coat of self etching primer. :)

Quote from: SECTION 5: CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS, PROCESSES AND USEFUL INFORMATION

Van?s Aircraft does not have an ?approved? primer. We use Sherwin Williams P60 G2. This is used on the QBs and prototypes made here. The QBs primer has no pigment so it just makes the interior surfaces slightly darker and less shiny. In the US, this primer has a green tint, so the two will not match exactly. We use this primer because It is inexpensive, dries fast, and is easy to apply. Sherwin Williams will tell you that the primer needs a top coat. True, for optimum corrosion resistance, but Vans feels that this is not necessary for the way in which most owners will maintain their RVs.

Are the parts primed before rivet work to QB kit (fuselage and wings) or is the QB kit primed after rivet work? If QB kit is primed after rivet work!! For those who want the RV- well protected against corrosion and bad climate, will it be best to buying standard kit? This requires, aluminum plates can rivet together and the parts can be primed first?

I do not know if the factory primes before or after assembly in the QB's. However, the wash primer they use only offers marginal corrosion protection by itself. For most, that level of protection is more than adequate.
If you are concerned about operating and storing your aircraft in an extreme environment, and feel you need the most robust protection possible, on and under structure, you would be better off priming before assembly with one of the two part epoxy products.
Corrosion X is also popular and gets excellent reviews, however I have never used it or been around anyone who has.

Back