What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recessed GPS antenna

380mxc

Has anybody recessed there gps antenna in the glare shield. If so did it have any negative effects.

Thanks

Under the Glare Shield

for the canard builders/drivers it is common practice to put all of the GPS antennae under the glare shield, which is just foam and fiberglass. It is, for all intents and purposes, transparent to the GPS signal.

The backup GPS antenna for my GRT is mounted on a shelf under the cowling. I attached my shelf to the firewall but I've seen others attached to the baffles or to the engine mount with Adel clamps. Fiberglass and non-metallic paint won't block the signal. My #1 GPS antenna (for a 430W) is conventionally mounted on the fuselage behind the canopy.

If your -7 is a slider you've got a lot of metal in the roll bar, brace, compass, etc. blocking it on the glareshield assuming inside the windshield. Even worse if you recess it. Sealing is an issue if it's outside the windshield.

Has anybody recessed there gps antenna in the glare shield. If so did it have any negative effects.

Thanks

Yes you can BUT the antennas still need an "unobstructed view" of the sky. This is means if the glare shield is made of some kind of RF transparent material like fiberglass, foam, plexi-glass, etc. then you should not have a problem.

If your glare shield is made of aluminum then you must make a cut out large enough so the antenna has an "unobstructed view" of the sky.

Either way you should verify that the antennas can "see" from horizon to horizon while still on the ground. Most GPS units can show which satellites it can see in relation to the horizon.

:cool:

Last edited:
If you have a overhead console it can be put there if the ceiling is fiberglass like the RV10s

Back