What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reiff hot strip installation

RobertD

Well Known Member
couldn't find the answer by searching, so:

I'm getting ready to install the reiff hot strip sump heat system on my RV-6A, O-360. Does it matter where you put the two heating plates on the bottom of the sump? The instructions say to put them on flat, smooth spots, but don't have anything to say about how far apart they should be, or where they might be located for best effectiveness.
The throttle/mixture plate dictates some of the placement, but does it matter other then that? For instance, should I try to mount one plate in the small space on the pilot side of the carb?
How/where did you hot strip users mount yours on your -360? Also, how cold can it be and reasonably expect the supplied epoxy (no longer jb weld) to bond ok?
thanks

Robert,

I just installed my Reiff sump heater a few weeks ago. Because of lack of space on my sump, I needed to install mine next to each other:

DSCN1585.JPG

I believe the only constraints are installing the pads on a flat surface and that the pads be installed in an area of the sump below the oil line. I epoxied mine to the sump when it was somewhat cold out (40 degrees), however, the engine was warm from a recent flight. This made the epoxy supplied with the pads cure incredibly fast -- about 10 minutes. Be sure to also glue the thermostat module to the sump, greater than 3" from the heating pads. I ran out of epoxy, so I ended up using JB Weld. Also, a good hint it to make sure the epoxy is somewhat hot before you try to mix it. It doesn't like to mix when it is cold.

The system has been very effective for me. When the cowl is covered with a blanket, after 12 hours of it being on my oil temps (at the sensor) are 96 degrees and the CHT's are in the high 70's with the outside air temp being in the mid 30's. I am thrilled with this setup.

The rest of the documentation of installing the system is here:
http://rvplane.com/?categoryid=10000&dayid=995

On my -10...

...the two pads only need 6 hours to bring the oil to 80 degrees.

I bought a $12 timer and set it for midnight and by 8:a.m., the oil temp is in the green...great heaters.

Best,

1000 words. . .

that's what a picture's worth. Thanks for a great reply Mike.
Now I'm off to the tomb-like hangar to get this thing installed so my little lyco can be toasty.

that's what a picture's worth. Thanks for a great reply Mike.
Now I'm off to the tomb-like hangar to get this thing installed so my little lyco can be toasty.

You won't regret it. The Reiff system is one of the best after market items anyone can have.

Clean the bottom off with MEK and scrape the paint up, or better yet, try to remove as much paint as possible.

Roberta

Back