What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unusable fuel

That's something that you should measure or should have been determined as part of the Phase 1 for your aircraft. For my aircraft it was a bit less than 1/2 gallon per side in level flight.

Tom,
Here is how I did it:
Before my tanks had ever had any fuel in them, I leveled the airplane and put a measured 5 gallons in each tank. I then disconnected the fuel line at the carb and used the electric pump to empty each tank. I noted the time 'til the last fuel came out. I then measured how much fuel came out. I did some math and found out how many gallons-per-hour the Facet pump was capable of putting out, and how much "unusable" fuel was in the tank. On my RV-6, the unusable fuel was .5 gal per side. Since this fuel should always be on board I weighed the aircraft that way.
If you have fuel injection I think you could disconnect the line to the fuel servo.
Oh, and don't forget to ground the aircraft and fuel containers.

Last edited:
I had a flight instructor that was passionate about letting students know most people confuse unusable fuel as undrainable fuel which is not the case.

In my testing it is about a pint on either side. It is very low.

I agree, about the same for me.

That's something that you should measure or should have been determined as part of the Phase 1 for your aircraft. For my aircraft it was a bit less than 1/2 gallon per side in level flight.

Agree as well.
Probably best to use no less than 1/2 Gallon per tank as your unusable fuel
for any practical flying applications and planning.
In a nose up attitude you'll get more fuel out of the tank than in a nose down attitude because of the rear location of the fuel pick up fitting.
For planning, I consider 1 gallon a minimum and in reality I've never gone much below 5 gallons in anyone tank except for phase 1 testing.

Tom,
Here is how I did it:
Before my tanks had ever had any fuel in them, I leveled the airplane and put a measured 5 gallons in each tank. I then disconnected the fuel line at the carb and used the electric pump to empty each tank. I noted the time 'til the last fuel came out. I then measured how much fuel came out. I did some math and found out how many gallons-per-hour the Facet pump was capable of putting out, and how much "unusable" fuel was in the tank. On my RV-6, the unusable fuel was .5 gal per side. Since this fuel should always be on board I weighed the aircraft that way.
If wesyou have fuel injection I think you could disconnect the line to the fuel servo.
Oh, and don't forget to ground the aircraft and fuel containers.

Thanks Mike. As usual Steinair has The and

Back