What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Will an IO-360 work with what I have?

Flying Canuck

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm starting to seriously search for an engine for my 9A. I bought the dynafocal Type I mount and my finish kit was ordered for a parallel valve IO-320 with vertical induction. The cowling is the O-360 version. As I'm researching my options, I got to wondering about an IO-360. I know that we aren't supposed to use the IO-360 on the 9, I don't want to debate that here - there are plenty of discussions around about that. What I want to know is can I install an IO-360 with my mount and cowling? It seems to be difficult to determine which engine models use the type I mount.

Just a cursory look at an unnamed classified site suggests that the easiest engine to find may be an O-320-E2x. I know that this is 150HP, but it may prove to be a decent base for an EFII installation. Adding the IO-360 to the mix might net me a few more options.

Engines

There are angle valve and parallel valve IO-360's . Which are you considering?
RV-9s fly just fine with the 180-200 hp parallel valve engines. The angle valves are heavier.

Lycoming has a chart of the features of its different engines. Perhaps Dr Google can find it?

The dynafocal 1 mount is probably the most common and will work on either the O-320 or O-360 designed for that mount (some older 320 use conical). Dynafocal 2 mounts were made, from what I've read, for the dual engine planes that needed to put the prop further out in front of the engine and thus have the mount designed for that purpose.

The 360 likely weighs a little more so you'll want to consider W&B in your planning.

There are angle valve and parallel valve IO-360's . Which are you considering?
RV-9s fly just fine with the 180-200 hp parallel valve engines. The angle valves are heavier.

Lycoming has a chart of the features of its different engines. Perhaps Dr Google can find it?

I know I had to specify parallel or angle valve when I ordered the finish kit. I chose parallel. Not sure what specific parts that implies in the finish kit. I am limiting my search to parallel. I didn't know about the weight difference, so that helps with that decision.

I do recall once upon a time seeing a chart for an engine series on Lycoming's site. They've changed the site significantly since then and all I can find there is a list of models with nothing more than a single picture for each variant. I (humbly) consider myself a Google-foo master, but this one is stumping me. The best I can find is the simple list from Wikipedia.

Are you looking at the used market, or buying new/rebuilt? If new/rebuilt, then you should be able to tell the vendor Van's model # of the IO-320 that they sell for the -9, and the vendor would almost certainly be able to match the intake (sump) and governor configuration, in an updraft IO-360 parallel valve engine.

edit: The dyna-1 mount will fit 320s and 360s; no problem. The early kits (-4s, -6s) had slightly shorter mounts for the slightly heavier 360, but IIRC, current production for the -7 (same fuselage as the -9) uses the same mount. Easy enough to get a definitive answer from Van's.

Last edited:
From the W&B aspect, I installed the IO360 (parallel valve) in my 9A using the James extended cowl, WW200RV prop and Sabre spacer with Vetterman crossover exhaust. I dealt with the extra weight up front by moving the battery (PC680) aft of the baggage compartment bulkhead and putting the strobe power pack, transponder, and ELT on a mounting plate just aft of the elevator autopilot servo, and that compensated nicely for the extra iron up front. I have no issues loading and flying my airplane throughout the entire envelope. I also have dual ADHRS in the absolute aft of the airplane, just forward of the tailcone.

We have to have all those things to go flying - but we get to choose where they live in the airplane. Move 'em around as needed. Just take Vans base model, figure in the changes you would like to make and how that adds weight/moment, and start moving components to compensate.

Last edited:
I know I had to specify parallel or angle valve when I ordered the finish kit. I chose parallel. Not sure what specific parts that implies in the finish kit. I am limiting my search to parallel. I didn't know about the weight difference, so that helps with that decision.

I do recall once upon a time seeing a chart for an engine series on Lycoming's site. They've changed the site significantly since then and all I can find there is a list of models with nothing more than a single picture for each variant. I (humbly) consider myself a Google-foo master, but this one is stumping me. The best I can find is the simple list from Wikipedia.

http://www.lycoming.com/contact/knowledge-base/publications
The certified engine publication as well as owners manuals are listed there. Between the two you can find out weights, dimensions features etc.

Good Luck,
Mahlon

http://www.lycoming.com/contact/knowledge-base/publications
The certified engine publication as well as owners manuals are listed there. Between the two you can find out weights, dimensions features etc.

There it is! Special Service Publication SSP-110-1 Certificated Engine List.

I'm meeting my local engine guy tomorrow, he figures he's got everything he needs to build me a suitable engine. Pretty sure I'll be going with an IO-320 (maybe a conversion from an O-320). Less weight, lower fuel burn. I can use the extra weight savings to fit a C/S prop, but that's another endless debate...

Thanks for finding this link for me.

Claude

the only engine i can think of that used the d2 mount was the IO-320-B1A on the PA-30/39.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

This something I wrote a long time ago when I was in the engine business. Thought you might find it interesting reading.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

I am a engine guy not a RV 9 guy, so you have to bear with me if I am
missing something here, but I can't see any disadvantage to using a O-
360 on a 9 other than approximately 14 pounds loss of useful load.
First off any engine using a fixed pitch prop never sees rated
horsepower during normal operation. An O-360 is rated at 180 Hp at
sea level at full throttle and 2700 RPM. The only way you will get to
those numbers, with a properly pitched propeller, is at full
throttle, at full speed, at sea level. The engine will most likely
never see more than 2500RPM during climb or at takeoff power, unless
you climb the aircraft very flat with a climb prop on it. The 180HP O-
360 is alternately rated at 160 HP at 2400 rpm, so a 180 HP 360 with
a cruise prop on it, will likely only turn 2400 RPM during take off
and climb at sea level. Guess what, a true 160HP from the 360 just
like the fixed pitch guys get with the constant speed equipped 320
(160HP + 2700RPM and full throttle). All you have done by turning
2400 is de-rated the engine to 160 HP! Now if the climb is flat or
the speed builds up, pull the throttle back and keep it below 2400
RPM for a true 160 HP. Imagine what this will do at altitude, you
have a cruise prop installed and 20 extra horsepower at your disposal
to use, as you climb to higher altitude. Wow! This is a great way to
go for those operating out of higher altitude fields all the time or
just fly high all the time.
Some say, it is too tempting and you will break the 160 HP rule or
you do most of your flying at low altitude and you don't want to have
to manage the throttle so much, so lets have some insurance. We put
low compression pistons in the 360 and you now have a 167 HP, O-360.
rated 2700 RPM. Guess what! With climb prop we now get 2500 RPM
during sea level take off and climb..... That's right, a true 160HP
at 2500 RPM. And to boot you still have the extra 7 horsepower at
your disposal as you go up.
The key to all this is you have to regulate engine power with the
throttle. This is done everyday, all the time, with a fixed pitch
prop and engine combination.
If you have a slightly under pitched prop (or as some would call a
super climb prop) on a 320 like Clay seems to have, you have to pull
the throttle back to prevent exceeding RPM limitations and thus true
horsepower output. No different with the 360 with fixed pitch prop at
180 hp or 167 HP.
The 2400 RPM 160HP 360 is a certified, Lycoming engine, not something
I am making up..IO-360-L2A used on the more modern C172 RG's is a 160
HP 2400 RPM 360.. fuel injected no less! So is the O-360 J2A. The 167
HP O-360 is a certified engine as well; it's the O-360 D series of
engines.
You can use the same logic with a constant speed prop, use a prop and
gov limited to 2400RPM at take off, like the 172RG, and get a true
160HP at 2400 and full mp just like the 320 constant speed guys at
2700 RPM..The down side is no more oomph at altitude. Same with the
167 HP versions, prop gov set to 2500 RPM and you have a 160 hp
engine, again with no extra power at altitude.
To me the fixed pitch version of this scenario is the way to go with
very little throttle management (no more than an under pitched 320)
you get a full 160 HP with plenty of power to keep things going well
at altitude. The 360 engine is less expensive if you are purchasing a
non vans supplied one, and so is the fixed pitch prop but the
performance is the same as the more expensive 320 with a constant
speed prop!
I know you have to think "Out of the bun" here, because nobody told
you about this before and the support from Vans using an O-360 isn't
really there. But other than about 14 pounds (heavier) fixed pitch to
fixed pitch,( one muest understand that the fixed pitch 360 has a solid flange crankshaft that weighs more, If you compare the weights iof the hollow shaft 360which is the cinsatnt speed version and the hollow shaft 320 constant speed version the weight difference is only o or a little taller (about 2 inches) and a little wider (1
inch) and the carb air box mounting flange being a different size the
rest of the engine is the same as a 320 on the outside. From what I
am told, the 360 will fit on the airplane with the -7 360 cowl and
you get the performance of a constant speed 320 for a lot less money
with about the same weight up front, if you consider the weight
difference of the cs prop on the 320 and FP on the 360. Even fixed
pith to fixed pitch the weight difference is 15 lbs total prop and
engine to prop and engine.
I hope the operators of lots of the 360 powered RV9's reply to Clay's
post, as I can't see what is undesirable with the 360... but I would
sure like to find out if there is a down side.
Please shoot holes in this explanation, if I am wrong or if I am
missing something, you won't hurt my feelings and I will learn
something!!
Good Luck,
Mahlon
These are actual weights of the engine as shipped from us.
The superior O-360 weighs more then the O-360 listed due to the fact the sump weighs more then the one Eci or Lycoming uses. Superior lists the weight of there O-360 with a hollow shaft as 287 lbs which is 6 lbs heavier then the same exact engine with a Lycoming or Eci vertical sump installed.

TMX O-360 Fixed Pitch (Solid Shaft 180HP):
25"x 33"x 29" 286 Lbs.

TMX O-360 Constant Speed (180 HP) :
25"x 33"x 29" 281 Lbs.

TMX O-320 Constant Speed (150/160 HP) :
22"x 32.2"x 29" 274 Lbs.

Back