What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding Van's Electric Aileron Trim

Jbon

I'm wanting to add the electric aileron trim mod to my RV-6. Looking at Van's catalog, I see that they do not offer the electric version for the 6, only manual version. I called Van's to enquire why the electric option is not available for the 6. He offered that they discontinued it, but that he thought the kit for the 7 could be made to work.

I'm wondering if anyone here has done that, and if so, what modifications I might have to make to the 7 kit in order to get it to work on my 6. In other words, what's the difference in the layout of the two models.

Thanks!

John

John,
Are you inquiring about the spring bias system under the seat or the one located in the Aileron?
edit........sorry, just saw your reference to "Manual" so it must be the under seat version.

Last edited:
I believe these two sentences from this web page:

https://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bi...6786991-86-171&browse=airframe&product=ea-kit

"The RV-7/7A,8/8A,9/9A, use a different style of electric aileron trim. The servo is mounted below the seating areas of the airframe. It is a spring bias system and applies trim forces directly to the control column and can be retrofit or installed during fuselage manufacture."

"Current builder/pilots of the RV-4 and 6/6A can adapt the spring bias systems for [from] the 8/8A and 7/9A respectively, which is a simpler installation than modifying the aileron."

... indicate that it is doable.

Thanks for the reply. I received the drawings from Van's for the RV7 kit. At first glance, I can't see why it woiuldn't work on the 7, but I can't figure out why Van's deliberately excluded the 6. I also wonder if the simplicity if the lever operated version might be better than the servo driven model. I do already have buttons on the stick however, so I'm keen to use them!

I have the manual aileron trim on my 6A. A friend was installing the manual aileron trim to his under-construction RV-7. It was different, and I liked it. There is no reason why it could not be retrofitted to my plane. The newer solution just makes it easier to remove the manual trim knob and underlying seat pan plate for the yearly inspections or maintenance.

Back