What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CDI

Abbygirl1

Well Known Member
OK guys.....need some opinions. After my son and I flew our RVG6A to KDYB and back last Friday we noticed the GI 106A seemed inop. I have it slaved to the SL 30 only and we could hear the identifiers but could get no needle deflection. When changing nav freqs, the cdi seemed to switch positions. Also the nav/loc light is illuminated all the time. We could turn the OBS and that had no effect whatsoever. Where to start troubleshooting?

Jimbo,
Give me the SL30 so I can install and test it for a while to make sure it is OK. ;)

But seriously, I'd look at the SL30 install manual first to see if there is any single wire break that could create the symptoms. As you surely know, the SL30 can drive a display head with one single RS232 or alternatively a bazzilion individual communication wires depending on the display installed. I don't have manuals for the GI106 so I dont know how that one talks.

If not using the RS232, might try shooting an ILS since some outputs from the SL30 are different than VOR use.

Thanks Bill

Thanks you Bill. I'm going to the airport today and will be checking for wire breaks. I have been under the panel straightening up some stuff, so there is a distinct possibility I could have disturbed something. If I could borrow your SL-30, I could eliminate it. When are you going to be at the airport?

May not get there this weekend Jim. SWMBO is off work for the weekend so I may have honeydo's taking my time.

BTW, I don't have an SL30, just the envy. :)

Could you see the correct bearing displayed on the SL30? If so, it's probably okay. Look for a broken connection. Also check the settings under 'system'.

sl30

Yes Bob, the bearing was correct. Everything on the SL-30 looked OK. I'll check the settings. Which ones in particular should I look at?

SL30 prob. corrected

Could you see the correct bearing displayed on the SL30? If so, it's probably okay. Look for a broken connection. Also check the settings under 'system'.

Bob, you were exactly right!! First I checked for loose/broken wires....found none. I had already downloaded the install manual for the SL-30 a long time ago. I went into "setup", and lo and behold.....it showed NO indicator head. I was sure it was a resolver since it had the 6 wires on it. So after I got through all the calibration procedures everything worked beautifully. Somehow it had lost it's mind and forgot about the external indicator head.
I owe you one amigo....well called.

Just a FYI. I have had my SL30 loose some internal setup settings. When talking to my local avionics shop, that stated that they have seen this issue with SL30's from time to time. They suspect power glitches are the source of this problem, but have never been able to reproduce the problem on the bench.

My specific issue was the transmit side tone level changed all by itself after several years of trouble free operation.

Back