What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

installing rod end bearings

SgtZim

Well Known Member
Quick question - I'm installing the rod end bearings on the rudder - or trying to. I can start the bearings in and get a couple of turns and then they seem to bind very tight. Looking at the K1000-6 plate nuts, they all seem somewhat out of round. Are these supposed to be extremely tight? I'm afraid I'll shear the rivets off if I try to force them in. I plan on calling Van's on Monday but thought if someone is here this weekend... I appreciate the help.
Thanks!

Plate nuts

The out of round of the plate nut is the locking method to stop the bolt/screw or in this case rod end that is screwed into it from undoing. It will be tight, it is meant to be like that.

Rob

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated! I did find an old post on how to make a tool to help move the bearings into position - 1/2 inch pvc pipe heated up to conform over the bearing - now I have bearing "wrenches". Pressing on.

Welcome to VAF!

Bruce, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Bees wax works just fine, easier to find than Bolube, and most likely cheaper too.

Do pay attention to the lock nut-----critical part. Be sure to tighten it after getting everything aligned an working smoothly.

Check out this thread about making it a lot easier to install the rudder/elevators later on when you get to that stage. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=82829

Thanks!

Thanks for the great tips!

I saw in another part of the forums that some owners/fliers have had the jam nuts come loose in service. I asked Van's about it and they just said to tighten them correctly. Maybe use some blue loc-tite on the jam nut but not red. I'll probably also put on some torq-mark and put that on the preflight checklist.

Back