What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chroming parts

acam37

Well Known Member
I have seen several RV's that have chromed the roll bar and even the flap arm. I'm thinking of doing just the roll bar and was wondering where I can get it done here in east Texas and about how much it will cost me.
I did a little reading on the subject and one concern was sunlight reflection. I don't think this is really that big of a factor, especially for the driver because it's behind his head. Plus it looks really good.

Hydrogen Embrittlement

You need to be aware of the potential for hydrogen embrittlement and the post chroming steps required to negate that possibility.

Do a search here re/ hydrogen embrittlement and you will get a great amount of info.

David

Might want to look a bright nickel instead of chrome. Easier to find someone to do it these days as Chrome is considered evil by EPA, etc.

You need to be aware of the potential for hydrogen embrittlement and the post chroming steps required to negate that possibility.

Do a search here re/ hydrogen embrittlement and you will get a great amount of info.

David
Second this. Don't chrome plate anything structural as the process will affect the resistance to fatigue/embrittle the parts. Have seen failed HD motorcycle parts that were plated with chrome.

That said, try A-1 chrome plating in Houston near Hobby airport. I've had Lyc valve covers and some (non-structural!) bike parts done there. Off Braniff maybe. Get your checkbook warmed up - it's an expensive process.

Shiny

Well that's not what I wanted to hear. I knew shiny = $$$, but I had no idea that plating the roll bar will degrade its structural integrity. I have heard that chrome plating is on it's way out for more environmentally friendly processes. I should have chosen my words better. I just think the roll bar would look really nice if it were shiny. The next best thing is to paint it silver I guess.

Instead of chrome..

Try powder coat. You can get some realy bright silver powder coat that looks similar to chrome. No effect on metalurgy. Many colors and finishes if desired.

Arlie, I chromed my roll bar and flap rod and have had no issues 27 years later. No reflection issues either.

hukkns.jpg

Chrome

If you use a plating shop that works to mil specs, they will bake the part after plating to eliminate hydrogen embrittlement. Having said that I would not plate control system parts or critical 4130 fittings but would not hesitate to chrome the roll bar.
Parts like rocker covers are mild steel and do not have the same plating issues as 4230.
If you can find a Hemmings catalog, the first section under services lists a bunch of shops that do chrome. I would guess you are looking at $2-300 for the roll bar

Try powder coat. You can get some realy bright silver powder coat that looks similar to chrome. No effect on metalurgy. Many colors and finishes if desired.

Look at www.prismaticpowders.com for powder coat that is a dead ringer for real chrome, plus many variations of chrome. We used it on our tandem bike; it is tough stuff.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Reflection

I know I get reflections from my own shirt when I wear orange, and my BIB who is almost always in the back gets reflections from anything not "flat" when taking pictures. I can actually see her mirrored aviator glasses reflections when the sun is right..I hate chrome in the cockpit! But it does look cool.

Roll bar color

Our first thought was to powder coat the roll bar, but when I took it to a local powder coater we told him what it went on, so obviously he tried to rip me off with a ridiculous quote. So then I decided to paint. Well I ran out of the interior color and the new batch was a shade darker so it does not match :(. So to make a long story short it has to be sanded back down and start from scratch anyway.
That's why I was thinking about just having it plated.

Electroless Nickel

I had numerous steel parts Electroless nickel plated. It was all done no charge so I have no idea about costs, but it looks good, is durable and I am pretty sure has no structural downside such as imbriitlement.

Chrome

I had my tailwheel spring and fork chromed at North Texas Quality Chrome. Gainesville Tx. (About 2 miles E of KGLE.) They do nice work.

27 Years of the RVATOR

I have no dog in this hunt. But, I did run across this from the 2nd edition, 2002 RVator:

Perils of Chrome Plating [2000 2nd]

Charles Tennant bought a partially completed RV-4. He
was pleased to see that the first owner had chrome plated
the engine mount. A few years later, during an annual
inspection, he noticed numerous rust pits in the engine
mount tubing. Closer inspection a fracture in one of the
cross tubes. Closer inspection yet revealed the reason.
The tube thickness had been reduced to the thickness of
an eggshell by internal rust.
Apparently acids involved in the plating process were not
sufficiently neutralized after plating was complete. They
had continued to eat away, unseen, at the inside of the
tubing until they pitted the chrome ? from the inside.
The hazards of hydrogen embrittlement caused by
improperly performed chrome plating are pretty well
known, but it now appears that there may be other
problems as well. We recommend painting or powder
coating the steel parts, rather than plating. (new kits come
with the steel parts already powder coated)

Ok, paint it is. Powder coat would be my first alternative option, but I think matching the paint I already have on hand will be a problem. I pray I never need to test the roll bar, but I need to know its 100% if that day ever comes.

My tow bar is "black chomed." it's a flat finish, very durable. I know nothing about the process or whether it needs baking, but it's not failed since I made it, about 25 years ago. It has a built-in springy part that carries some high stresses.

It's a very decent look.

Dave

Back