What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Mount Portable GPS

n824rv

I am in the planning stage of my instrument panel in my RV-7A and would like to mount a portable GPS in the panel. There are a few out there that I am interested in the Garmin 196 , 296 or AvMap EKP IV or the AvMap GeoPilot that is offered from Sporty's. It really looks like a nice unit for the price. I am going to have it interface with my Navaid Autopilot through a Smart Coupler. Has anyone out there had any success or problems (washed out screen etc.) with any of these units. Also any problems or success coupling to the autopilot. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

n824rv said:
I am in the planning stage of my instrument panel in my RV-7A and would like to mount a portable GPS in the panel. There are a few out there that I am interested in the Garmin 196 , 296 or AvMap EKP IV or the AvMap GeoPilot that is offered from Sporty's. It really looks like a nice unit for the price. I am going to have it interface with my Navaid Autopilot through a Smart Coupler. Has anyone out there had any success or problems (washed out screen etc.) with any of these units. Also any problems or success coupling to the autopilot. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

Since you're thinking of a Garmin 196, then definately go for the 296. It has the terrain & terrain warning features.
As to the AvMap , check for features such as terrain, and "when" you might get these features. I havn't checked within the last month. But at the time I picked up the 296, it just had more going for it. I also know that it's compatible with the Navaid & smart coupler.

L.Adamson

The rumor mill is that XM weather is being added to the 296 (to be announced @ OSH), so if in-cockpit WX interests you I would wait until then (estimated price $2K). Again, this is only a rumor and I can't corroborate it at all. This will/would be an awesome GPS -- terrain awareness w/ alerts, weather, beautiful sunlight-readable screen...I'm sold.

If true, Garmin would obviously be tight-lipped about the whole thing as to not kill pre-OSH 296 sales.

Back