What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-8 Project Purchase

Curtisairfamily

I'm New Here
My wife and I just purchased a RV-8 kit that is mostly complete. The builder started back in 2000, so it is an older kit. We have never built a RV before and we sold our Bonanza to fund our project. See we are not new to aviation but brand new to the RV world.

I know there are some SB's I should comply with but any other tips of items to do on an older airframe.

We live in Maine so good heat will be a must. Where do people get the heated seats?

We want to do the G3X panel with the Garmin Autopilot. Will we need to open up the wings or tail to install the servos?

So far we know it needs paint, a panel, a propeller, and an interior. It should be delivered in early December. We are very excited!!

Welcome to VAF, and Congratulations

My wife and I just purchased a RV-8 kit that is mostly complete. -------See we are not new to aviation but brand new to the RV world.

Caleb & Laura, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Congrats on the new project.

Do you know if you have the -1 wings? That might be an important factor in determining aircraft limitations.

By the way: Hi, and hope to see you around!

Hi,
Exciting! I inserted some possible answers into your text below. A lot of good experience and advice here on VAF, but also talk to the manufacturers, Van?s, Garmin and so forth.
Have fun, you are 90% done and 90% to go.

My wife and I just purchased a RV-8 kit that is mostly complete. The builder started back in 2000, so it is an older kit. We have never built a RV before and we sold our Bonanza to fund our project. See we are not new to aviation but brand new to the RV world.

I know there are some SB's I should comply with but any other tips of items to do on an older airframe.

We live in Maine so good heat will be a must. Where do people get the heated seats?

Try Classic Aero or Oregon Aero, both in Oregon.

We want to do the G3X panel with the Garmin Autopilot. Will we need to open up the wings or tail to install the servos?

If a wing servo you should be able to install through an inspection plate, or a space under the seat. The elevator servo will go behind the rear baggage, happy times crawling. Check with Garmin for instructions and a parts kit.

So far we know it needs paint, a panel, a propeller, and an interior. It should be delivered in early December. We are very excited!!

New RV8

Hi Caleb, I strongly recommend registering with Van's and placing an order for the RV-8 plans that come on a USB stick. They are very helpful. Can't hurt as well to get the RV-14 plans, since they are much newer, and more complete. Not everything on the RV-14 will help on the RV-8, but it can give you some ideas, just like your experience with other aircraft will help you with your RV-8.

Any SBs are on the van's website: https://www.vansaircraft.com/public/service-rv8.htm

I also recommend talking to local builders and EAA Technical Counselors (https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-building/volunteer-assistance/eaa-technical-counselors) to help you get ready for the paperwork.

servos

I don't know about the Garmin roll servo, perhaps someone will chime in that does. But my Trutrak roll servo mounts in the fuselage. That makes life pretty simple.

Things you will have to get creative to install will be ADAHRS and remote compass, things like that. I'm sure you will find lots of help here on VAF

Servo install

I had my original roll servo in the fuselage as well, and I thought that was a pretty clean way to do it. The new GRT servo (which seems to have an identical form factor to the Dynon and Garmin) is installed in the wing, and it was very easy. You could do this with a flying RV in a few hours, since it goes into the inspection port for the aileron bellcrank. The pitch servo was a bit harder as it required removing the bellcrank support - drilling out the rivets carefully is the most important part. Probably a day's work to install both in a flying RV-8 for someone that knows what they are doing or has done it before. Obviously I don't recommend doing this while the RV is actually flying. :D

heated seats

Caleb,
Congratulations with your new project! I have a pair of heated seats from Flyboyaccessories that I didn't install that I'll sell to you at a discount. I purchased them last year just before Oshkosh and then found out that Classic Aero, who was fabricating my seats at the time, was offering free seat heaters as a sale promotion during the airshow...so I got theirs instead. Send me an email if you're interested.
James Baker
RV8 (almost finished)

Your on a good path.

Hello and welcome to the RV family. We have Garmin servos that were installed after the airframe was finished and on it's feet. You can do it either way you wish. Their are a lot of good people at this forum that will help as you go. Getting started can be a little bewildering, but the dust will settle as time goes on. You will enjoy the performance and nimbleness of the RV8 once you get to know it. Keep asking good questions or any questions and keep moving forward is the best advice I can give you at the point you are at now.
Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
P.S. there are a lot of RV builders to the east of you in Belfast. Most are RV12 builders, but they are all good guys. We try to go up there every year for the Lobster Fest.

Last edited:
Welcome Curtisairfamily! You live in a beautiful country been to your airport couple times. Come to Mooselookmeguntic flyin on ice 2020 in your new RV8. It's just 60 NM west of you :)

Caleb & Laura,

Congrats on the kit purchase.
The Stab SB is probably one to consider while still building. You may avoid removing the stab after paint.

G3X is an excellent choice. The AP roll servo can mount under the forward seat or in the wing at the aileron bell crank. Mounting brackets are available for both. I prefer the wing mount. Sometimes with the fuselage mount there can be a clearance issue with the servo arm and the floor panel. May not happen at install but later as the seat panel sags from body weight. The Wing fixture is an easy bolt in.
Elevator fixture is also available and mounts at the mid point bell crank in the tail cone.

Good luck with the build, remember to "Just keep riveting" it will get done and you will enjoy the end product.

Cheers!

Thats great! We have lofty expectations for getting it done!! I have a feeling we will want to build one from scratch once we finish this one.

I think getting the newer instructions and developing a feasible plan to finish it will be the biggest item.

One question that comes to mind right now is, when is the best time to paint the inside of the cockpit?

Last edited:
Thats great! We have lofty expectations for getting it done!! I have a feeling we will want to build one from scratch once we finish this one.

I think getting the newer instructions and developing a feasible plan to finish it will be the biggest item.

One question that comes to mind right now is, when is the best time to paint the inside of the cockpit?

Before you put the wiring and static line in. We finished most everything to fit inside the cabin, Then painted with a paint that could be touched up at anytime after that. You will scratch up the inside as you go, even with blankets and pads. It is hard not to have to do some touch ups after you are well into the interior. Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III 3 80888

I bought mine from Fly Boys' Accessories (they happened to have a great Black Friday sale so I lucked out on price that year) and then sent them to Abby at Flightline Interiors, who made the seats and full interior. She built the heaters in for me as they sewed up the seats.

Paint: Lots of options. As locally/regionally. If you think you want to paint it yourself, do a lot of research and then decide (to have someone else do it :)).

Prop: Again, lots of options on prop type (fixed pitch or constant speed - what does your engine allow?) and then brands (I'm partial to Whirl Wind and Hartzell myself but you'll find people have wide and varying opinions, often attached to whichever brand they are flying behind).

Panel: Look into all the options. A few great panel designer/builders advertise here on VAF and do a terrific job. So if you want something that's as close to drop-in as you can get, that's the way to go. If you want to do it all yourself, plan for plenty of time to get it done (then double that amount of time and add 30 - either weeks or months, depending on your motivation hah).

As others have mentioned, roll servo could go in the wing or under the floor (I did wing, pretty standard) and pitch servo goes in the tailcone behind the baggage compartment. There are installation kits available for your servos of choice to make it simpler and to help with good alignment, placement etc. and I'd recommend using those. Neither is all that hard to get to or install. Just some awkward crawling around and contortion here and there, and some relatively easy new wire runs.

Have fun - it's a blast!

Welcome to the Club Caleb and Laura!

You may recall that I gave Laura a ride in the Yellow Peril a number of years ago...apparently that didn't change her mind :D.

You're welcome to come poke around in my hangar at KIWI to see how things fit together. You'll also find a trove of good info here on VAF.

I installed a TT autopilot some years after my first flight...not a huge issue to retrofit, depending on how far down the construction path your -8 is.

I find that a heated seat for the rear pax would be a good idea, but not in the front, which gets enough from the heat-muff on the exhaust. The rear seat foot-wells are especially chilly on a cold day.

PM me and I'll send you my direct contact info.

I'm happy to help you spend all the money you have....:)

Back