What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear Shimmy/Wilkerson Tires are awesome

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
This a huge shout out to Wilkerson tires for their main gear tires I just put on the airplane. I have an RV-4 and was getting a bad shimmy after landing at just about taxi speed. I read all the forum posts about gear shimmy including the ones about the gear leg stiffners. I have the long gear so I thought this might have been the solution.

Experimented with different pressures and even found a slightly warped brake disc that I replaced. The tires were not out of round and were balanced. Nothing seemed to work so I went back to the forums (don't you love this place) and found a post by someone about Wilkerson retreads. At $50 apiece shipping included I gave it a try. Not only did the shimmy completely disappear, the airplane definately taxiis better and tracks straight. I run the pressure at 45 PSI IAW their recommendation. Easy to move around and did I say they were only $50?

Highly recommend them if you need tires. Found them with a Google search for WILKERSON TIRES.

To reduce the bounce effect on my RV4, I run mine at 24 psi and no shimmy but then I have the short gear.

Very impressed

Tires are rock solid. Tread depth seems to be more than on other tires. Price was right too. And no more shimmy here either.

Back