What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jacking Plane for wheel pants work

rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I was in a HF today and saw one of these. It says it will lift 1500 lbs. Looking at it at the store, it looks like it could easily be modified by adding a couple 4' 2x4's on the top and on my A model, placed under the center section and lift it up. I believe a place where it would balance and be stable enough could be found. It would be at least as easy as what I am doing now! It would have to be stabilized, but that wouldnt be too difficult.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/1500-lb-capacity-atvmotorcycle-lift-61632.html

Last edited:
If "wheel pants work" means you're fitting the fairings, the less on the floor under the aircraft, the better. You'll be using plumb bobs, drawing centerlines, measuring off the lines, using squares, etc, all while crawling around on the floor. Try not to have anything supporting the fuse between where the fairings will be located. I used an engine hoist.

John Siebold

Engine hoist

John, what do you attach the engine hoist to? In my A model, do I tie the tail down? I know it's going to wiggle side to side.

Thanks

John, It is to lift the plane off the ground to fit the pants and fairings. I could get all 3 wheels off the ground. I have a construction laser I can use to get things level and plumb. Next time you are at the airport, come over and see my project. I could use all the eyes I can get on it at this stage!

The Mike Bullock jacks look very nice and much like the wing jacks I purchased from the Jack House. A chain and a couple cement blocks will hold the tail and up you go. Having wing jacks will make maintenance much easier and you will be surprise how much they are used. Partner with several plane owners to share the cost. These work on many designs besides RV's.

http://jackhouse.com/aircraft-jacks.html

Roberta

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I think Mike's solution is a better idea. I had seen it before, but forgot. I think I will add a bolt through a 2' 2x4 screwed into the tie down and lift with the jack pushing on the 2x4 rather than just the bolt.

IMG_1215-M.jpg

A 1" steel pipe cap drilled to accept a 3/8-16 X 1 1/2" grade 8 bolt that will screw into the wing tie down point.
This cap will hold the ram from the jack and keep it in place from slipping off.

Yes

I have used this set-up for a Grumman Yankee and my RV9a. The box on top of the jack fits over the parallel feet and the table on top of that is 2' x 4' and then hard foam on top of that. It supports the plane at the C.G.

QG7PYe9jurvJeNpyy8PjbXFlRKDogabShaW2lqmQRknou3uORyi9qFA1SimRmSINu9K54jSfhuz5Ruxih8LuPdKOCphX-7xy5-KXBakoYE8BNn3L066gVnG-1yFUVvskvxSbNEnhqDAqFSqqI3DF38wmgUy13idK7dn8rcc9XYSQK-es9KkqZ93cCZF820n5Gu3Uka_1vcNxCpZIhx7O53emvVdWIbnUlRcVgZjNOUUgZp5ZODT1H24yXgD8-LbeblNgXwr3d-huQMh31bDF6Dg3HXrJGUza_l6HwU9cDGNisvFFuNWtZ66_rjw1KNq3EJVEt1oZ5XGZ-u4ftSzBh8lKawU-hg-TLUZvKVzILALwVRa4bWly4Y-akyuU0pFt-5QaZHW7dXFihQRGuf-4271Sl7zAVBM-oQst1vORamqDGgF9oRta9IMM1nzVbBFkFs40Q104ipyJ-K7hQhnyY6EEOS2HN4S0O8nAacxDUrj4fHV-iZkcb630Pe2tbpUztuBNplCRzwErJ_j1KlyEigutqsAnwelWoGRBkFwkp4Pa3LXg9JJsz8jwGlkqKMF-LoBRrfoWrRp_4MJEfb8mW4Tieyx4TnWZNAVt6svqnA=w800-no

Just be very very careful when on the jacks. I know of several biz jets and regional airliners that fell off the jacks and the jacks went through the wing skins. Nothing spoils a day at the hangar more than that. Keep non essential people out of the hangar etc.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I think it is safer than the wing jacks. Im going to pick it up at HF today. Thanks John.

I have used this set-up for a Grumman Yankee and my RV9a. The box on top of the jack fits over the parallel feet and the table on top of that is 2' x 4' and then hard foam on top of that. It supports the plane at the C.G.

QG7PYe9jurvJeNpyy8PjbXFlRKDogabShaW2lqmQRknou3uORyi9qFA1SimRmSINu9K54jSfhuz5Ruxih8LuPdKOCphX-7xy5-KXBakoYE8BNn3L066gVnG-1yFUVvskvxSbNEnhqDAqFSqqI3DF38wmgUy13idK7dn8rcc9XYSQK-es9KkqZ93cCZF820n5Gu3Uka_1vcNxCpZIhx7O53emvVdWIbnUlRcVgZjNOUUgZp5ZODT1H24yXgD8-LbeblNgXwr3d-huQMh31bDF6Dg3HXrJGUza_l6HwU9cDGNisvFFuNWtZ66_rjw1KNq3EJVEt1oZ5XGZ-u4ftSzBh8lKawU-hg-TLUZvKVzILALwVRa4bWly4Y-akyuU0pFt-5QaZHW7dXFihQRGuf-4271Sl7zAVBM-oQst1vORamqDGgF9oRta9IMM1nzVbBFkFs40Q104ipyJ-K7hQhnyY6EEOS2HN4S0O8nAacxDUrj4fHV-iZkcb630Pe2tbpUztuBNplCRzwErJ_j1KlyEigutqsAnwelWoGRBkFwkp4Pa3LXg9JJsz8jwGlkqKMF-LoBRrfoWrRp_4MJEfb8mW4Tieyx4TnWZNAVt6svqnA=w800-no

This has been discussed many many times. The only factory recommended jack points are the wing tie downs. That is how they do it and how most of us have done it for many, many years.
I know of only one incident that was due to a gross misunderstanding of how to do it properly that led to a low grade bolt shearing.

The airplane wasn't designed or intended to be jacked up at the center section. Not saying you can't do it but by no means is it any safer than properly used jacks at the wing tie downs.

I feel compelled to comment as a lot of newbies read this stuff. Use the right equipment and understand how to use it properly. You couldn't knock my airplane off the jacks if you tried. There is no safer way.

This has been discussed many many times. The only factory recommended jack points are the wing tie downs. That is how they do it and how most of us have done it for many, many years.
I know of only one incident that was due to a gross misunderstanding of how to do it properly that led to a low grade bolt shearing.

The airplane wasn't designed or intended to be jacked up at the center section. Not saying you can't do it but by no means is it any safer than properly used jacks at the wing tie downs.

I feel compelled to comment as a lot of newbies read this stuff. Use the right equipment and understand how to use it properly. You couldn't knock my airplane off the jacks if you tried. There is no safer way.

So what jacking points do you screw into the airplane, and what receptacles are on the jacks? Balls? cones like the anti-splat? I looked at the add for the Antisplat points and they were conical, but it didn't say anything about the sockets on the jacks. Obviously the 2 have to be compatible. Can you clarify? Not something I would want to get wrong!

This is the way to go, when you need to remove the gear leg(s) or the engine mount (if the gear is a part of it). When I had my engine mount off recently I jacked the plane with wing jacks, inserted the stand under the center section, and lowered the plane onto the stand and a tail stand. The reason I didn't just use the wing jacks alone is I needed to work inside the plane and I wanted the extra support in the middle.

If you believe that the main spar is strong enough to support the air frame since the lift will be directly lifting on the spar, HF has the lifts on sale. I picked one up today and will give it a try tomorrow. Here is the coupon for it - $69.99

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wswidgets/common/displayCoupon.do?week=4317&campaign=c&page=widecoupon1.html&cust=99999999999&keycode=1031&single=true&main=true

I can sure see a use for the wing jacks - so it is up to you. I will post if it works as well for me as it has for the others who have used the lift.

There is another thread about problems with a lift on a 10, but no info on what type of lift it was. The 10 is quite a bit heavier than the 9A, so maybe it was over the limit.

If you believe that the main spar is strong enough to support the air frame since the lift will be directly lifting on the spar, HF has the lifts on sale. I picked one up today and will give it a try tomorrow. Here is the coupon for it - $69.99

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wswidgets/common/displayCoupon.do?week=4317&campaign=c&page=widecoupon1.html&cust=99999999999&keycode=1031&single=true&main=true

I can sure see a use for the wing jacks - so it is up to you. I will post if it works as well for me as it has for the others who have used the lift.

There is another thread about problems with a lift on a 10, but no info on what type of lift it was. The 10 is quite a bit heavier than the 9A, so maybe it was over the limit.

To help prevent others from replicating the incident, what were you using that failed?

To help prevent others from replicating the incident, what were you using that failed?

Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't very clear about the other lift falling. I haven't had any failure - I haven't tried yet. I was referring to the 10 that fell of a lift. It was not clear what type of lift it was, but it fell about 3-4' free fall, so it doesn't really compare to this mini lift.

Im on my way to pick the HF lift up today and give it a try. I will let you know how it goes.

If the main spar can take the lift loads generated at 6 or 7 times the max gross weight I would have no issue with them holding up an empty airplane. In fact a heavier airplane is less likely to fall off the jacks if you have a good fitting jack point and socket on the jack.

I ought the lift and it does work OK to lift my plane off all wheels at the same time. I will probably keep it because it was not too expensive and quicker than the wing jacks to change a tire or fix a wheel pant.

The goods:
It will quickly lift all 3 wheels off the ground.
It would be faster to change a tire or wheel pant.
It is not very expensive and folds up easily.
It would be very hard to damage your plane while using it.

The questionables:
When the plane is lifted, it is easily tipped between wheels.
You would not be able to get in the plane and work on it because it tips between wheels to much.

I think the tipping could be fixed with a wider base and box. I have an antenna in the way but find a way around that to make it more stable. I am going to keep it, but it is not quite as good as I hoped it would be.

I am about to try it out as well, went to HF today, going to use it tomorrow to change out a leaky tube. Looks pretty ideal for t he task.

Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't very clear about the other lift falling. I haven't had any failure - I haven't tried yet. I was referring to the 10 that fell of a lift. It was not clear what type of lift it was, but it fell about 3-4' free fall, so it doesn't really compare to this mini lift.

Im on my way to pick the HF lift up today and give it a try. I will let you know how it goes.

I gotcha...I was confusing threads...doh!

Back