What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane Power Alternator v-1002 bracket

dbaflyer

Well Known Member
Installing my alternator (Plane Power) and starter (B&C Specialty) and the V-1002 bracket is too long to work. Am I doing something wrong or is there another bracket that ties the starter and alternator together?

This is a boss mount alternator bracket.

I also see no way to torque or safety wire the bolts holding the starter to the case. It came with locking star washers and wanted to know if that's the correct application.

AF1QipNLLr9YNCY53NZ9gZxCu-30zQ4E-Dvl3dZF-Bs8

Thanks,
Denis.

Last edited:
DBAFLYER

I believe that there are two mildly different links available. I think that the B&C website shows this, possibly the plane power website. In any case, there are two. The difference appears to be the distance between the hole centers, which is not much, but enough to require a different link depending on the starter used.

The attach hardware for the starter is typically the lock washer, washer and plain nut. At least it is done that way on all of the installations I have seen. I see no reason to do anything else to a properly torqued plain nut and lock washer.

I ordered a link from B&C. They have two but only one had 1.5 inch distance between holes. It doesn't work on the front side because the thicker part of the link is made with the larger hole and would go on the alternator side. With that orientation it doesn't match the offset to the starter. Here is a picture of the link on the back side but this doesn't make sense to me as the B&C starter hole is threaded and made to have a bolt come in through the front. Even if this was correct the Plane Power alternator uses a larger bolt and the B&C link would have to be drilled / reamed out through the thick bushing.

CyQnHNqE-8cYzt2XUuPlLqbewfmeMBc5rcKe-fkfK-zICLD5bBKzvV9R1fmZLzFvYonvP2AK8ro2TW1IDtEhjHZpfdHXfl9_Q_kj3sDd27XXnZPBrtbsRsYHvYc1gctKz-4g5LubrloBNFP6Zh_fAiUL93v4k4du4UOOpwXvyHcpeOWiNeN00xhPUDwkl7oaA0oknxYLrUfHBd6bHdPUZdRbPnRgIuXasEl9d6_LRs5-FcZZwuUqPGjuwyLxlqyU1c3esuqDoEeVAHnJfWRI6Ta_FBP11wkOaDps7V24dCZiu2LEmPA9jzy1LFMU_VzgL0J0f8xtphzu9b7aVlqNetk0RhGt9GH7ET7j8fYuaT_pzZmru99sz8gA6g6h8zKZ7ocqsxS0GTQ8PZ06-t_btkGQhMh7tYCZhbWy4Z1G8GeXErkfDb87HJo3ZnhuA0z20DrKah-swOlkHo3TLaavMmTKFQjM8Z44nqQQCyMXrPmRpMJAOer8OcHctq6A_310mt68BIx3k4NhX2au23iDqTKOz4A3td9-Keu1uB0V0VWnVY4s7gt4APC5oaqyBrlz0CpXn_suERsQgP_HwlOQsRmpuMW3ivc=w810-h1080-no

I have to ask, is this link between the two a safety issue? Is it really needed.

Those who have done this using B&C Starter and Plane Power Alt, did you order a working part or fabricate your own?

I have seen a lot beefed and heavy components wag around and break things. Sometimes the symphony of these moving parts will break something else around them and the guilty part just grins because they don't get blamed.

Ream it and install it. Or experiment and report back if something fails.

Back