What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skin rivet interference with F-711D

wirejock

Well Known Member
I'm final drilling the canoe and looking for "gotchas".
I see a problem down the road. I can fix the problem before she goes back together for final riveting.
Could someone tell me how you set the rivet in the photo. The shop head will be right up against the F711D angle. Plans call for a AN426AD3-5. I don't see a way to get a clean set on the shop head.

sy6vpu.jpg

same thing on my Quick Build

Vans reply was:

This is a known problem with the QB fuse, what you will have to do is use a pulled rivet in this location (MK-319-BS). You may not be able to push this rivet in all the way and pull it so you will need to insert it as far as you can pull it a little and push it the rest of the way in and finnish pulling.

The grip on the MK-319-BS was not long enough so I ordered some longer ones. PASK304 from Hanson Rivet.

Solution

Vans reply was:

This is a known problem with the QB fuse, what you will have to do is use a pulled rivet in this location (MK-319-BS). You may not be able to push this rivet in all the way and pull it so you will need to insert it as far as you can pull it a little and push it the rest of the way in and finnish pulling.

The grip on the MK-319-BS was not long enough so I ordered some longer ones. PASK304 from Hanson Rivet.

Thank you. I sorta figured the solution was a pulled rivet.

Back