What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ARP Carburetor Ice Detector

David Paule

Well Known Member
I've got one of these devices (Spruce sells them) in my Cessna, and like it so much that I bought one for my RV-3B, too. I regard it as essential if you're flying a carburetor. I've mentioned that before from time to time. It tells me when there's ice. Other devices don't do that.

The documents that come with it are very limited, so I tested it today. Here is what I learned, using a 13V battery as a power source.

The device uses up to 0.33 amps.

The bright warning light has 11.80V across its leads.

This suggests that I can remove the warning light and run its output into the Dynon Skyview EMS. My RV-3B has a tiny panel and that saves some space there.

Incidentally, from the Cessna, I've learned that if the airplane voltage drops, the warning light comes on, too. It's actually a combination low voltage warning and carburetor ice warning system. While that sounds like a potential problem, in reality, it isn't. Merely pulling on carb heat will clear out the ice and restore normal indication.

Dave

Back