What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT EIS 6000 - hobbs and tach time

Abraham

Well Known Member
I am wondering if anyone is using the EIS to record hobbs and tach time without a seperate meter? I called GRT today and did not get a clear answer how exactly their hour meter works.

Last edited:
Go to page 22 in the EIS manual. There is a threshold setting for the flight timer. If you set it to zero, you get Hobbs time, e.g., the actual time the engine is running. If you set the threshold to something like 1600 rpm you get something closer to, but not the same, as tach time. e.g., you get actual time the engine is running above 1600 rpm. Basically Hobbs time excluding taxiing and other idling time.

Thank you Bob. Let me ask you, how would I get a signal from the engine. I plan to use a mechanical pickup from the accessory case to run an analog tach (if that matters). I want to avoid connecting any type of pickup to the magnetos.

Go to page 22 in the EIS manual. There is a threshold setting for the flight timer. If you set it to zero, you get Hobbs time, e.g., the actual time the engine is running. If you set the threshold to something like 1600 rpm you get something closer to, but not the same, as tach time. e.g., you get actual time the engine is running above 1600 rpm. Basically Hobbs time excluding taxiing and other idling time.

The standard tach input for the EFIS has you run a wire, thru a resistor, to the mag switch. I don't know how else to do it.

Back