What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 rear rudder pedals

I know this topic has been covered in the past but a few years back, just curious if any better solutions than the vans kit are out there now? I am in the purchase process of a flying -8 and will need to install for my instructor. Also if anyone has a set of the vans pedals laying around they don't need and want to sell, I would be interested.

Thanks,
Jonathan

I know this topic has been covered in the past but a few years back, just curious if any better solutions than the vans kit are out there now? I am in the purchase process of a flying -8 and will need to install for my instructor. Also if anyone has a set of the vans pedals laying around they don't need and want to sell, I would be interested.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Original VAF thread. "Improved RV-8 Rear Rudder Pedals?"

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=121744&page=2

Post #2 by Craig Taylor aka: "gear1"

Here are some photos of the pedals that I built for our RV8:

p1020391.jpg

p1020391.jpg

p1020392.jpg

p1020395.jpg

p1020396.jpg

p1020397.jpg

My wife took a "Pinch Hitter" course a while back. She is small, so her seat in the back is quite tall, resulting in a downward push on the pushrod pedal "buttons" making it hard to feel the pressure While practicing taxi from the back seat with the "button" type rear rudder pedals, she pushed hard to stop a turn, and the pedal shaft broke! So we built these pedals for her. They are installed in the rear seat foot well, using plastic clip-type grommets as a pivot point. The pedals are easily removable by sliding the outboard pivot pin inwards to release the pedal. The pedal and pushrod assemblies weigh 11 ounces each.

If you are interested in having a similar set made, I can supply the drawings.

Hopefully this is useful!

Rear Rudder Pedals

I needed instruction when I bought my -8 and had these rudder pedals made. They do work very well, but the tube as designed is awfully light with numerous holes - it can bend very easily if the length of the rear pedals doesn't exactly match where you have your front pedals - be careful. The only other complaint I have is that they eat up a substantial amount of leg room for the rear seater. Having said all that - I certainly couldn't come up with a better idea!

These work very well...

Heres a couple of shots of my version based on Craig's design. There is now essentially no difference in the way the rudder pedals feel from the front or the back seats.

You do lose a bit of rear leg room, and I velcroed a couple of wooden blocks in the back to rest your heels on, otherwise the rear seater is always holding "toes up" which can get uncomfortable.

On the plus side, the rear seater does not have to lift his feet to get on the rudders, and most can get off them by rotating their feet outboard.

Things to watch...

- a bunch of holes are unnecessary, unless you're flying with very short children. One or two is enough, mine have never moved.

- the inner lobe of the "pedal" sometimes touches the seat which may wear over time. If I did it again I would eliminate the inner lobe.

- I connected to the idler rather than the pedal as Craig appears to have done. Clearance is very tight at full throw and rubs a little.

- Use caution in your design, as something coming apart in flight would probably not result in a good outcome...

Thanks again to Craig, this is probably the most photographed thing on my aircraft...

If you keep the design that vans has,slip another tube over stock with some pro seal or equivalent. Won't bend but still has the mexhanicl disadvantage

I can't help myself

This is a topic and thread that I probably shouldn't comment on. But here goes...

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I think there is another aspect that deserves consideration. Future posts may prove me wrong.

I bought my RV8 flying, and was given a set of rear seat rudder pedals uninstalled. Several months later I sold them. I realized after flying the -8 that nobody was ever going to land the airplane from the rear, and that inflight most maneuvers require minimal rudder pedal application. So why bother with these rear pedals that for the most part will only get in the way.

I can only envision one situation that might justify adding rear pedals. That is, if you want to take multiple hours of instruction in your tandem airplane, and the instructor refuses to fly without the pedals. (OK, if you're out flying with me, and I become totally incapacitated during the flight, they might be helpful also)

So, amongst those of you who have rear pedals, is there anyone who really gets any use out of them?

"So, amongst those of you who have rear pedals, is there anyone who really gets any use out of them?"

Yes, the rear pedals get "some use" on about 40% of my flights. With the Van's pedals, there was a lot of negative comments regarding the quality of rudder control from the back seat regardless of experience level. With the new setup the feel is essentially the same as the front seat, very positive.

I installed rear flight controls so the GIB would have a fighting chance should I have the "big one" while airborne... So far having flown a lot of people ranging from Young Eagles, to adults who've never flown in a light plane, to pilots, I've not yet experienced a reason not to have the rear controls installed.

A lot of people I fly with are new to RVs, most are new to taildraggers, and are keen to experience what an RV is like. Funny they all come away with the RV grin and a few are out there "shopping"... I get a kick out of sharing it with them...

Another reason to have em - aerobatic instruction...

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the comments and guidance! I am installing because I need both my tailwheel endorsement and 10 hrs of dual in the plane for insurance. While I have minimal tailwheel time, I have done some basic acro in my instructors decathlon and he is comfortable with giving me the training I need with the vans pedal's installed which he has used in many other -8's. So I think in the interest of getting the training underway I will order and install the vans kit and then I will look into fabricating a more robust solution such as what is pictured above.

Thanks!
Jonathan

Back