What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

elevator trim options

larryj

Well Known Member
I had been planning on manual controls in my cockpit; manual flaps and manual trim. I've been working on the elevator trim and the bottom line is that the standard lever arrangement (RV-4) just isn't working out - not much room available for an easily activated lever. My question is for people that have experience with the 3 variants for trim control: manual lever, manual vernier knob, and electric. I can see that I could more easily install a vernier knob, and of course I could easily install electric. On the other hand, I could probably make a manual lever work somehow/somewhere. Any sage advice out there ?? What is the easiest to fly ?? What maintains the best pilot feedback ?? What maintains the highest reliability ??

manual trim

After 9 years in a RV4 and 500 plus hours I say no to electric trim and yes to electric flaps. I just sold my RV4 and have returned to BiPlanes, Roger

I would agree with 007.

The only benefit to electric pitch trim is it weighs less than manual. Electric flaps work fine as you never need to have them perfectly dialed in like elevator trim.

All good options

I had been planning on manual controls in my cockpit; manual flaps and manual trim. I've been working on the elevator trim and the bottom line is that the standard lever arrangement (RV-4) just isn't working out - not much room available for an easily activated lever. My question is for people that have experience with the 3 variants for trim control: manual lever, manual vernier knob, and electric. I can see that I could more easily install a vernier knob, and of course I could easily install electric. On the other hand, I could probably make a manual lever work somehow/somewhere. Any sage advice out there ?? What is the easiest to fly ?? What maintains the best pilot feedback ?? What maintains the highest reliability ??

I have verneer in my 6 and a lever in my Bucker. I have flown with electric and would take either manual method over electric. However, there are plenty of electric fans out there. The lever can be a bit touchy at high speeds but if you set the friction correctly, it is easy to get used to. The verneer is rock solid at any speed.
My 3 will have manual lever.

I agree with 007 too

Yes to manual trim, you can feel the air pressure on the knob, you can intuitively set it to the exact right spot. I have never flown with a manual lever.

Yes to electric flaps because it gets the stupid arm out of the way.

My plane has electric trim and manual flaps BTW. :confused:

Hans

Thank you Hans

Yes to manual trim, you can feel the air pressure on the knob, you can intuitively set it to the exact right spot. I have never flown with a manual lever.

Yes to electric flaps because it gets the stupid arm out of the way.

My plane has electric trim and manual flaps BTW. :confused:

Hans

That is truly funny.
and Thank You for not trying to justify to infinitum what you have just because you have it.

My 6A has electric elevator & aileron trim. The aileron trim is the older (but better. IMO) style with the hinge tab on the aileron. Both of these connect to a hat switch on the joystick.

FWIW, Everyone who has flown my plane thinks this trim setup is wonderful, and so do I! The plane just seems to trim with precision, and I have no speed controller for the trim relays. Manual trim or manual flaps --- Never! :D I can keep my hand on the stick and do it all, without reaching for another knob or handle.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Manual elev trim control options on RV-8...

My plan is to install manual elevator trim on my -8. I know the standard out there is the vernier knob. Has anyone installed a wheel for it instead??

I think I would have preferred a manual solution over the electric to get the "feel" and have the sensitivity that a manual system has versus the electric system (at high speeds, it takes extremely short taps on the buttons to make a change without it being too much...takes some getting used to), but it's not a make-or-break kind of deal now that I have electric.

There is one plus to electric...if you're putting in certain EFISes, their autopilots may include autotrim (e.g., Dynon).

How about this for one solution? LOL!

TrimLever-200x133.jpg

Last edited:
My purchased -4 has the elevator trim on the 3rd lever of the throttle quadrant. Only problem was that the builder built it before he got his PPL in it, and the action was reversed. I lived with it for years before re-making the lever so forward on the lever was nose down. Bottom line, works fine in my -4.

This one has electric flaps; nice to not have the lever in the way of back seater's foot. Previous -4 had manual flaps; lever was in the way but ability to 'pop' them in/out was really nice.

Charlie

In my -8 I have a wheel for elevator trim, electric flaps, and electric aileron trim. I would prefer electric aileron/elevator trim with coolie hat switch on the stick. I find it awkward to reach down and forward for the elevator trim wheel. I would prefer to keep hands on the stick and throttle. Maybe I'm used to that set up from military days, but it sure seems to involve less reaching around at times that my hands should be on the controls.

Vernier

I had electric Elev. trim on my 6A and have a Vernier on my 7A. I like the manual Vernier better. There is more of a tactile feel, and adjustments are quick and precise. With the elec. trim, I found myself "bumping" the trim button in order to get very small adjustments. I always felt I would be able to trim between the "bumps" with a vernier and now that I have had both, I believe that to be the case. Also, my elec. trim position light went out 4 years in. Was another something to fix with elec. trim.

Back