What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel mount LEMO headphone plugs

I had some holes cut by Front Panel Express as part of my vent panels. Otherwise it might be quit difficult to do by hand. Or at least time consuming.

The best guess would be to make a paper pattern, position it in place. Then drill out as much material as possible then use a Drexel to remove as much of the rest as you can. Finish with a small file.

Round Hole with Internal Tooth Lock Washer

My RV-6 has been flying 18-years but the LEMO jacks are only 6-months old. I used a Unibit to make a round hole and added an internal tooth lock washer when I installed the jacks.

round hole

My Lemo plugs have been flying for 700 hours with round holes no issues. Same as RV6 Flyer add a little star washer.

+1 on what Jesse said... Round is fine.

I tried to drill a smaller hole and use a small auger bit to make the hole just right. Ended up bigger than it would have if I had just made it the right size round.

Last edited:
Lemo jacks

Have been looking at sources for Lemo jacks and see there are different configurations, since I don't have Bose headsets currently to inspect, I'm finding 5, 6, 8 pin Lemo jacks. If I want to wire my own which jacks to use?

Dave Ford
Cadillac, Mi

I already have the tools for crimping pins and a bit of spare 3 conductor shielded wire so I opted to buy them from Mouser. They are $29.62 each. I opted for these which allows for a strain relief ($4.38 each and part # GMA.1b.045.DN).

PTG.M0.6NL.MC65NZ

You can also buy the solder version if you prefer. It has a slightly different part number.

I have not installed them yet so hopefully I have the right item. Won't even be able to test them because I don't have the headset.

Square holes are easy

First, do like Ray said and make a paper template. Cut out the hole in the paper. Then mark your panel with a fine sharpie. Use round drills to make the hole as large as you can without going over the lines.

Next, I bought an inexpensive set of needle files. Some are round, 3-sided, square, flat, or curved, etc. Just file to the line and check for fit. It didn't take me long to get mine finished, seen here with round holes for traditional jacks. I'll be able to use both.

P1020035%20(Small).JPG

P1020037%20(Small).JPG

P1020175%20(Small).JPG

More photos and discussion on my web page, here:

Headset Jacks

I also added a 10 Volt power jack so I could use Headsets, Inc type ANR headsets. 10 V is shared with Lemo jack. Why 10 V? It's the minimum to power the Bose/Lightspeed headsets and the maximum for the Headsets, Inc.

IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1433.JPG

Back